Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #29
UncleBenny

Drives: 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
They should put accelerometers in all phones like they do in the iPhone then they can have it so sending/receiving text messages can be disabled if you are moving more than 10mph.
Except accelerometers measure acceleration not speed. They could measure your speed with GPS I guess, but I don't see them mandating that in every single phone any time soon.
UncleBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #30
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatcamaro2010 View Post
but i do text and drive, because if i pull over or stop, i lose money because of productivity plain and simple, there are people who can do it and drive at the same time, but on the same note, there are people who shouldnt
Quote:
Originally Posted by "prima"Donna View Post
NO ONE CAN DO IT SAFELY...it has been proven that talking or texting while driving is as bad, if not worse, than drunk driving...
It appears that the guy who created that PSA needs to make another one where it's not just a group of idiot teens texting. If they showed a 30-year-old businessman writing e-mails on his blackberry while driving, that'd probably make people like croatcamaro2010 pay more attention.

Sadly, because this PSA shows a group of female teenagers, it may not have as great of an affect on teenage boys or adults as it should.

I never text while my car is moving. I never talk on the phone while driving unless I'm in the Camaro and the phone is sync'ed up. Otherwise, the person trying to get a hold of me can wait. It's not the end of the world to make them wait an extra 5 minutes to get a reply.

Oh, and trying to use "productivity" as an excuse for texting while driving should double the fine...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #31
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
SC law now has an "in-text-icated" ruling where the police can search your phone records to see if you were texting/on the phone during the time the accident occured. the penalties are the same as a DUI.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #32
2bravo

Drives: Empty
^^ That's awesome! A very good idea! They should be able to do that if they pull you over for changing lanes without signalling or running a red light or stop sign.
2bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #33
BlueMarlin
phi alpha

Drives: 2005 GMC Envoy
...to the guy who posted the video above.

i feel like that a mini french remake of final destination or something...

jesus, I was a firefighter and emt for 2 years and I found that disturbing
Old 09-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #34
mutant chicken
Mutant Member

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '10 Mini , 07 Harley
Thank you CamaroSkooter, pretty much the point I was trying to make. There are always people who think they are the exception to the rule... I can text, but everyone else shouldn't, I am o.k. to drink, but everyone else shouldn't , I can drive like a race car driver because I watched Fast and the Furious !

I drive for a living, I do not drink, text, talk on the phone ( unless I'm using my bluetooth ), no excuses. Twelve hours a day at work and two hours of commute, I don't think I want to have to tell someone " sorry I killed your family, I was being productive !" , Or " Sorry I killed your family, I was sure I could handle that one extra beer", or " Sorry I killed your family, but that guy swore his Honda could take me and I just had to prove him wrong ! Stupid Ricers !"

I see people doing stupid stuff every day, and it worries me that my family has to be on the same road with these people.

mutant chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #35
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
I can text and drive.
phone beeps, press a button, your phone reads the message, you reply, you never take your eyes off the road.
I think it's no worse than listening to the radio while you drive.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #36
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
I can text and drive.
phone beeps, press a button, your phone reads the message, you reply, you never take your eyes off the road.
Your phone can read you a text message?

Mine can't. And none of the phones I've owned previous (5 total) could.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #37
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
I can text and drive.
I hope that wasn't a serious post...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #38
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Your phone can read you a text message?

Mine can't. And none of the phones I've owned previous (5 total) could.
- X
This is a feature that some phones have for blind people. I have a blind co-worker and she is able to use her phone for text messaging, finding contacts, calling, etc because it speaks it to her.

But I still don't understand how talking on a cell phone causes people to instantly become oblivious to the driving world. It's ridiculous. How hard is it to hold a conversation while still driving correctly?!? I don't notice people driving like dumbasses when they are simply talking to a passenger in the car... so WTF is it about cell phones that instantly makes people dumb???

Seriously... EVERY SINGLE TIME I'm driving, and someone does something that causes me to say "WTF are you doing?!?!"... I drive up next to them and look over, because I have to see the face of this person to see who could do something so damn stupid... and guess what? THEY ARE ON THEIR CELL PHONE... never fails... every single time...
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #39
CloudXTC

Drives: 1LT|RS|SIM|M6|BA Stereo
yes it depends on the phone

if you have a blackberry and use bbm... best to use voice notes while driving...

i dont think anyone can be "skilled" enough to text/talk and drive at the same time... ofcourse everyone feels they can until the get into an accident for it...

if i get a message... i might look at it... but i only reply if im stuck in traffic at 0... or at stop lights... when i was working in technical support for my cellphone company... people used to call in and want me to fix thier phone while they are driving and talking on the phone... and when i told them i cant... they would get upset for the same "im losing xxxx money"...

if they dont value thier lives thats fine... and if they want they can run themselves off the road and get into an accident...

my issue arises because its usually more than 1 vehicle in an accident and then you start playing with other people's lives... not cool...

1LT | RS | M6 | SIM | BA Stereo
1000 - [07-23-2009] Order Made at dealer
1100 - [08-04-2009] Preliminary order accepted
2000 - [08-25-2009] Accepted by GM
3000 - [09-01-2009] Accepted by production control TPW = 10-05-2009
3300 - [09-28-2009] Scheduled for production
3400 - [10-01-2009] Broadcast - Being Built
3800 - [10-13-2009] Produced - Built- VIN 2G1xxx54917
4200 - [10-19-2009] Shipped
5000 - [10-19-2009] Delivered to the dealer
6000 - [10-20-2009] Delivered to the customer

CloudXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #40
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
Sad to see the responses here.

People need to realize it's not just "having your eyes on the road" that makes you a safe driver.. Don't be a douche. Haven't you ever talked to someone who was looking you in the eye and had them reply with "huh?" "what?" as soon as you were done? (I'm sure a lot of women are thinking of their husbands now)

The problem is where your attention / focus is, and the fact that when you are Multi-tasking no matter how simple the tasks are and no matter how adept and expert you think you are at doing these tasks even at the SAME TIME *clap* They hinder your reflex capabilities and your ability to process your surroundings at an adequate speed to enable you to react to changes in time to prevent accidents.

The same reason alchohol , drugs , medications even are prohibited when driving. They mess with your processing speed and ability to react.

It's morons like the poster above worried about being productive and thinking they are hot shit... That end up killing people in the streets in that half second where something changes and they glanced down to read two words out of a text or find the pound key or something stupid.

EVEN TALKING on the phone hinders your ability to process and react properly... Talking to your passenger too much can cause an accident too..

Fact is, if you are driving... DRIVE. If you have something else to do, pull over and do it or do it later. When you kill someones kid... or your passengers... People aren't going to be too impressed by your mad skills and your productivity , or your fancy camaro.

I've been hit myself.. Tell you right now the past 5 years haven't been fun nor is the future going to be what it could have been if not for a stupid incident on the road.
5 years later and I'd still give anything to put the driver through what I've had to endure.

Don't be ignorant. Respect the right of people around you to feel safe and LIVE.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #41
Croatcamaro2010

Drives: '10 Camaro RS 1LT
look, on city highway, no ill wait till i get off the highway and come to a stop light, but when im on a country highway, with no one around, ill check my phone. but when im in the city ill wait the 100 yards until i come to a red light. Jesus H Christ guys, not like any of you have fumbled with the radio, or checked out the hot gal in the car next to you... as for the productivity, its either i get home sooner and get other things done around the house, or i have more stuff for the next day. ive texted and drove for years, ive never had a wreck, ive had a speeding ticket, but thats it, im not writing a book on the road, im a service tech, id rather get things done so i have less work.
Croatcamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #42
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sstac View Post
I cant believe people are STILL holding the phone and TALKIN while driving... i thought there was a law that you HAVE to use bluetooth!! I see SO MUCH of this in south jersey... and the people CAN NOT DRIVE at the same time... accidents waiting to happen!

I know i'm gonna drive defensive like i did with my vette when i get my new camaro... but as we all know... there is only so much we can do to prevent these crazies from CRASHIN into us.
I see it all the time around here. People on their phones talking or texting. I have no idea how much they're enforcing the law at this point.
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote