Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #43
Oldrocker

Drives: 2010 SS2/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatcamaro2010 View Post
look, on city highway, no ill wait till i get off the highway and come to a stop light, but when im on a country highway, with no one around, ill check my phone. but when im in the city ill wait the 100 yards until i come to a red light. Jesus H Christ guys, not like any of you have fumbled with the radio, or checked out the hot gal in the car next to you... as for the productivity, its either i get home sooner and get other things done around the house, or i have more stuff for the next day. ive texted and drove for years, ive never had a wreck, ive had a speeding ticket, but thats it, im not writing a book on the road, im a service tech, id rather get things done so i have less work.
Tell that to someone that has lost a loved one to a moron texting while driving.
Oldrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #44
1badSS/RS

Drives: Rally Yellow Transformers pkg
Texting while driving should be illegal and enforced. It is crazy to even take the unnecessary chance.
1badSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #45
Croatcamaro2010

Drives: '10 Camaro RS 1LT
driving is a chance, everyday we get behind the wheel we run the risk of getting hurt. thats why its called an accident. but i wouldnt be so insensitive towards someone who lost a loved one because of another drivers fault. smoking and driving are legal, no one makes a fuss about that, i remember reading in the news paper a lady got ashes on her pant leg, as the driver was brushing them off, she ran a light and hit someone at a cross walk. everything you do is a distraction while driving. looking at street names, other drivers, ect.
Croatcamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #46
jayson71

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31783

Not sure if that's what happened, but I don't see how else he could've not seen me...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22668

Same here,this guy finally showed up with insurance after three months! His agent actually tried to blame me for the hassle caused by the delay, since I did not run his driving record. She did not like my reply.
jayson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #47
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
look, on city highway, no ill wait till i get off the highway and come to a stop light, but when im on a country highway, with no one around, ill check my phone. but when im in the city ill wait the 100 yards until i come to a red light. Jesus H Christ guys, not like any of you have fumbled with the radio, or checked out the hot gal in the car next to you... as for the productivity, its either i get home sooner and get other things done around the house, or i have more stuff for the next day. ive texted and drove for years, ive never had a wreck, ive had a speeding ticket, but thats it, im not writing a book on the road, im a service tech, id rather get things done so i have less work.
Actually, you have the same amount of work, you'd just rather work on some of it while driving a car.

Quote:
driving is a chance, everyday we get behind the wheel we run the risk of getting hurt. thats why its called an accident. but i wouldnt be so insensitive towards someone who lost a loved one because of another drivers fault. smoking and driving are legal, no one makes a fuss about that, i remember reading in the news paper a lady got ashes on her pant leg, as the driver was brushing them off, she ran a light and hit someone at a cross walk. everything you do is a distraction while driving. looking at street names, other drivers, ect.
You're trying to justify your distracting behaviors with other distracting behaviors? Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black? Also, they're not called accidents, they're called traffic collisions. But that's another matter.

It all boils down to whether you're okay with being responsible for someone's death because you were trying to be productive. Obviously, this is a worst-case scenario, but it's a VERY real possibility. If you want to go to prison for vehicular manslaughter one day, then by all means, continue texting while driving. It's not you we care about, it's the person that gets injured/killed because of your blatant lack of respect for other people.

Driving is a priviledge, not a right. That seems to get overlooked far too often.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #48
Sher525
CAMAROLIOUS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
This topic really hits a nerve with me. I can't stand people who drive and text, read, apply make up etc. Most times when I see someone doing something wrong (go thru lights, change lane without looking, stop for no reason, I could go on & on) they're on the phone. You can not pay attention to driving and everything/everyone around you if you're looking at you phone. And really now I don't want to hear "I only do it at red lights" that's bull. Accidents happen but accidents because someone was texting or on their phone are accidents that could of been avoided.
Sher525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #49
Sher525
CAMAROLIOUS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Oh ya one more thing..... I would like to have a witty comment that I can express to those who drive/text/talk. Now I hope this isn't taken as "road rage" but I would like to say "excuse me, I think there is a bomb on you car!" maybe they will hang up then, or drive off into a ditch. I saw this on a bumper sticker "maybe you could drive better if i'd stick that cell phone up your a$$".
Sher525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #50
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
....While texting and driving.

ARGH. It would piss me off so much. You can't do anything about it, no matter how much you take care, because some stupid idiot can't put down there cell phone for a few minutes to keep lives (and nicer cars) out of danger!

I was just reading an article, and they interviewed some people, who really didn't seem to car and said they could do it. This kind of mentality really gets to me.
I had a girl fail to yield at a yield sign and almost hit me, I honked, she got out, started yelling and swearing at me, I flashed my badge and went from there..... and for ref. I don't view it an abuse of my powers if I'm doing it when someone has committed an offence.

She was texting, I saw her clear as day with her head down. It angers me so much that they wouldn't care.

If you don't care, get off the road.

If I'm not directly involved, I usually call it in. Alot of people do this, and more should start. It works.
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #51
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badSS/RS View Post
Texting while driving should be illegal and enforced. It is crazy to even take the unnecessary chance.
In Ontario it is now, the law has passed and will go into effect in October.

Which is somewhat good news for idiots that do it. Because before we were just charging (and convicting) them of careless driving.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #52
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

The problem is, even if a civilian observes someone behaving like this, what can we do? Do we need to have the local police department on speed dial? And if we do, we can't follow them because then we would also be breaking the law by driving and talking on the cell phone.

Obviously with the Camaro, we can do the bluetooth thing, but what if I'm in my other car that doesn't have bluetooth?

See the conundrum?

I want to help as much as I can, but sometimes I feel like calling in to the police to report someone who's talking on their cell or texting while driving is treated as more of a nuisance than a serious infraction.

I'd be interested to see some LEO's take on this.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #53
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

It becomes a more drawn out matter, but simply (at least here in Ontario) you call, give the car details, the cops find it, pull it over, lay the charges, and you're willing to provide a statement at some point, or attend court (should it go to court; but most traffic court cases don't need the witness to attend) to testify in saying you saw that car/driver.

People are stuck in this idea now that the cops have to catch them red handed. And if you decide to call, pull over and make the call, or if you're lucky enough to have bluetooth, go for it.

Things don't need to happen BANG BANG BANG all at once. And this starts leading to the topic now that some people (not saying you) have this mind set that "someone else will call" or "I've got things to do, they'll eventually get caught". We as citizens on the road have as much responsibilty to activately try and stop this as the police do.

As to the nuisance, that's all each individual services take, and each officers take. I can name a ludicrous amount of officers I work with that would pass on it. Thank god my platoon is more responsible.

I would also suggest reporting it, so that when they finally kill someone (and as bad as this is going to sound) when they go back through the records of this vehicle being reported and never stopped, someone finally has to explain why this was contantly passed over.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #54
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

That makes sense. So, I should keep a pen and notepad in the car for writing down license plate numbers and vehicle color/make/model?

Sometimes, the way people drive around here, I start to seriously consider installing some kind of video camera on both the front and rear of my vehicles. It's crazy out there.