Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
Rednekferlife101

Drives: Silverado
L99 vs ls3 with mods

Hey guys I first post on here so I'll say I don't have a camaro yet... I have a 2012 Silverado that's cammed, converter, headers, magnuson blower and meth and some other little things it made 598/592 on the dyno. That being said I'm gunna sell that and go buy a 5th gen camaro. I test drove an auto and a manual car and I really like them both. I'm planning on doing pretty much the same things I have done to the truck to the car except I'd go with a centrificul sc I think and more suspension work and a rear conversion to hold the power. Can people with experience tell me which car likes the mods better? The l99 or ls3? Seems like the ls3 makes more power modded but will a ls3 converted l99 be just the same just with an auto trans? And how do you guys with the bigger power levels like the cars with the manual vs the auto? I'm not biased and not looking for a biased answer just looking to help make my decision on which to go with. Thanks!
Rednekferlife101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
That really depends on what you're getting the car for. Having a goal of X amount of power will be achievable with either engine and transmission combination. If you're looking for consistency and familiarity, I'd go with an L99. If you're looking for a setup that will make the power numbers you're after easier, albeit arguably harder to control/drive, I'd go with an LS3.

If I remember correctly, the fast list on here is generally populated by L99 cars. There's a range of reasons for that but I suspect it's largely due to the fact that folks can concentrate on getting the car to remain straight down the track as a pose to keeping it straight and getting exceptional shifts. Not many people are adept at that.

Looking back over your post, I'd wager to say that the higher and higher you go with power levels, the more people lean towards using an auto. An LS3 converted L99 still won't make the overall power of an LS3 matted to a TR6060. That being said, even when down on power, you'll find that the L99, once modded (stall included) does just fine. The VVT cams out there generally negate the need to convert to an LS3 these days.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
Rednekferlife101

Do the 6l80's in the l99's hold decent power? I noticed when I drove the auto car that in the manual mode I was doing maybe 30mph and up shifted to 4th gear it was right around 1500 rpm and I floored it and it didn't down shift which I liked a lot! My truck doesn't hold a gear like that in manual mode. Will it still hold the gear like that in manual mode with say 650-700hp? It's almost like driving a car with a manual valve body automatic but it will automatically down shift to 2md at a stop for you... Thanks!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
In manual... it is manual and will not shift unless you make it do that yourself. It will deny a shift if it knows wouldn't be good for it as in trying to go to first at too high of a speed. I have read the trans is good to around 650 hp but I have no idea if that is true or not myself.

Putting the shifter in M engages Sport Mode then when you tap the paddle it goes full manual just a FYI... My car is tuned including the trans and once done it really shifts quick so something to consider in your mod journey as well.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Rednekferlife101

Ok thanks good info! My truck has the 6l80 too and its stock doing good at 598 knock on wood. But it does wake it up nicely from a tune when it was stock. A lot of people hate these 6l80's saying they are weak but I haven't had an issue. I see they make built ones rated to 1200hp which is far beyond what I'd do to the car!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednekferlife101 View Post
Do the 6l80's in the l99's hold decent power? I noticed when I drove the auto car that in the manual mode I was doing maybe 30mph and up shifted to 4th gear it was right around 1500 rpm and I floored it and it didn't down shift which I liked a lot! My truck doesn't hold a gear like that in manual mode. Will it still hold the gear like that in manual mode with say 650-700hp? It's almost like driving a car with a manual valve body automatic but it will automatically down shift to 2md at a stop for you... Thanks!
I don't have any first hand experience with the L99 so, take it for what it's worth; all the 5th gens I've driven are LS3/manual transmission. Manual mode is essentially that. I'm not sure if there's much in the tune that can be done to speed up the response between the tap and the actual shift itself. Mayhaps there is, mayhaps there isn't? I think even if you bypassed the typical mods and went straight for improving the shifting and the stall on the 6L80, it would be a night and day difference from stock.

Wish I could offer you something more than that but, perhaps someone with first hand experience can chime in. I'd hate to sound like one of those people who are just spouting off random stuff like I'm an expert when I'm just reciting hearsay.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Mine is an L99 supercharged. 590 RWHP. Should be fine up to 650 with supporting suspension mods also...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
That really depends on what you're getting the car for. Having a goal of X amount of power will be achievable with either engine and transmission combination. If you're looking for consistency and familiarity, I'd go with an L99. If you're looking for a setup that will make the power numbers you're after easier, albeit arguably harder to control/drive, I'd go with an LS3.

If I remember correctly, the fast list on here is generally populated by L99 cars. There's a range of reasons for that but I suspect it's largely due to the fact that folks can concentrate on getting the car to remain straight down the track as a pose to keeping it straight and getting exceptional shifts. Not many people are adept at that.

Looking back over your post, I'd wager to say that the higher and higher you go with power levels, the more people lean towards using an auto. An LS3 converted L99 still won't make the overall power of an LS3 matted to a TR6060. That being said, even when down on power, you'll find that the L99, once modded (stall included) does just fine. The VVT cams out there generally negate the need to convert to an LS3 these days.
This! That's a fastball, down the middle, honest post right there. OP, I used to be a diehard truck guy too. What makes you switch to a car? Tired of moving your friends furniture at 0-60 records?
Old 11-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #9
Rednekferlife101

Thanks guys! And for what's into my truck I can do the same to a camaro and be close to 700hp and much faster from the power to weight... Don't get me wrong I love beating cars who think they are fast in a truck and seeing their face is priceless! But it's at the point where I don't really wanna tow with it at that power level on the stock trans... And a built trans is 7k which I can put into a camaro and have a much faster more reliable car. Even a Na maro would probably be faster than my truck and be much more reliable...
Old 11-10-2015, 06:34 AM   #10
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Before my SS I had been into classic muscle. A lot of the cars I had were 4 sp with plenty of power, my last was a 69' 400 c.i. 4 sp Nova. It was fast around town and plenty of shifting.

Now to my point. If you do a lot of in-town cruising you might get tired of shifting, some don't. After so many years of shifting, I was ready for an auto. Much to my surprise I found I really liked the auto better and especially the "kick down power" of these new six speed trans. I also found some of my friends with their manual shifters saying the same thing, only they never spoke of this before.

So I quess another point is, never say never, especially to an auto. After a few mods you won't be disappointed. JMO
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:04 AM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
there are about 7.35 million ls3 vs l99 threads on here, read up... One the L99 has AFM, VVT and a Cam phaser, and has less compression and less h.p. as its sporting a crappy set of four AFM lifters, dealing with those and the need badly for trans tune deals with some money..... Sure it will out perform a manual in quick shifting after it is altered, but the thing is the manual is more fun for a motorhead, and building a trans. is not as expensive as you made it out for the auto, its a couple grand if you shop around then add the torque converter etc..... A manual needs the billet bearing support by monster, and a better clutch eventually but puts more power to the ground right off the start, but also need a separate clutch reservoir.

SO its really a toss up, I for one was not really impressed with my L99 at all due to the fact its "kick down" was lame, paddle shifting a funny thing to laugh at I usually found as I could not tell it gaining any speed other than making the engine rev higher...lol as you have to have a real feel for the gears and that's harder with a auto versus a clutch. I used to have shift kitted transmissions with stall and if programming gives you that that's great, if it does not its kind of sad. SO theres good and bad to be had in the big city, read up!!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #12
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Op.....I have the l99 ...I paddle shift the crap out of....its tuned with mods and runs hard. The paddle shifters do make it alot better imo when getting on it. Gear down ..punch it. It's loud and proud. Both cars are great in there own way. My wife has had spinal surgery so I had to get the auto because she enjoys driving it and couldn't move her leg very well to work the clutch. So I made the best of what I had. A manual car is great with the v8. It's really decided by what you enjoy.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #13
Revrider550

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS
The manual trans In the LS3 upshifts like a champ. It is genuinely way smoother at speed with quick shifts than it is around town. However I will say around town it drops revs so fast that on down shifts and slow shifts I find myself almost always easing off the clutch or it will jerk a bit.

I think for a performance straight line car outta the box the LS3 is a better car but as people have said an auto trans can always be built up and I'd imagine it would end up resulting in a more usable drag car or just straight line car.

I'd ask yourself how far you plan to take the car power wise and then make the choice because I think the LS3 could handle additional power better before needing any attention to the trans. But if you're gonna build up the trans in both cars regardless might as will go L99
Revrider550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #14
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
You should just go right for the ZL1 with an automatic tranny forget cannibalizing an SS. I have run up against them at the drag strip and they are quick and smoke the 6 speed manual ZL1s easy. I was a die hard 4 spd muscle car guy and I am so glad I got the automatic in my SS. If you like "Doing The Herky Jerky" get the 6 speed SS.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote