Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Sheitskees

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS
Something I Noticed About Chevy...

Overseas they have a cool set-up for the military if you're looking to buy a new car. You can order the car exactly how you want it and have it built exactly how you want and have it delivered anywhere in the world. A lot of dealerships do this, but Chevy doesn't? Seems a little odd to me that even the foreign dealers are hooking up the military overseas but Chevy doesn't. Example of dealerships that do: Land Rover, VW, BMW, Audi, Toyota, Honda, Mini, Volvo, Infinity, Scion, Dodge, Jeep, Ford, Harley Davidson, ect. Just makes me wonder why Chevy doesn't do it... If they did I probably wouldn't be able to restrain myself and would've bought myself a 2010 2SSRS already... Does anyone know why they don't offer that and pretty much everyone else does?

Sheitskees.
Sheitskees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
i never under stood that. i went to the base exchange when i was in iraq last year and ran into the same thing. no gm? gm better get on the ball.

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Sheitskees

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo8hkk View Post
i never under stood that. i went to the base exchange when i was in iraq last year and ran into the same thing. no gm? gm better get on the ball.
That's what I'm saying. I just didn't understand how a bunch of foreign dealerships could support the American troops and even DoD civilians but not GM? Ford, dodge and jeep do it... Just don't get why GM doesn't... That's why I brought this up, I was going to see if anyone here had any idea why GM doesn't do this awesome program.

Sheitskees.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
DiverRich

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS A6 Silver Ice
Doesn't surprise me considering GM is run by the government now. This administraion isn't exactly military friendly IMHO.
DiverRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Sheitskees

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverRich View Post
Doesn't surprise me considering GM is run by the government now. This administraion isn't exactly military friendly IMHO.
But I'm pretty sure they've never offered it even before the bail out. This program has been around for a while, I'm not exactly sure how long but I know it's been around a while before the bail out came along and I haven't heard anything about Chevy offering before either... It's just strange to me.

Sheitskees.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Interesting because if I'm not mistaken, you can't walk in to some of those dealers in the U.S. and order a car you have to buy from inventory off the lot.

But to answer your question directly, you can, in the U.S. walk in to any GM dealer and still order a car equipped the way you want. Evidence all the Camaros that are ordered by memebers on this sight. There are exceptions, however, and those exceptions explain your point.

When you are overseas, there are many Chevrolet products that are not available here in the U.S. Daewoo brand cars are now branded Chevy's every where else in the world except Korea. Many of the Chevrolets you find in Europe for example are built in Korea by GMDAT and exported. The Chevy Captiva (not available in the U.S.), the Chevy Spark/Matiz (not available in the U.S., yet), the Chevrolet Epica (not available in the U.S.) and Chevrolet Cruze (not available in the U.S. until later this year) aren't built in Europe. The GM products built in Europe carry the Opel badge or Vauxhall badge.

So yes, it would be nice, I agree. But it only has to do with were the product is built. All of the manufacturers you listed have plants in Europe building that brand. But few Chevrolet products built in the U.S. are shipped widely to other countries. Mexico, yes, some in Brazil (new Malibu). Full size utilities to the Middle East, yes. But Cobalt, Impala are not shipped overseas. And Corvettes has limited sales.

Hope that helps explain why.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
RCLapCar

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 HB/JB
I wonder if it has anything to do with the modifications they would need to make the cars road legal in other countries.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Sheitskees

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLapCar View Post
I wonder if it has anything to do with the modifications they would need to make the cars road legal in other countries.
It's really not a whole lot. England has more lenient emissions standards and safety standards. Mostly it's just light conversions and adding blinkers to the side of the car ect. The biggest thing is shifting the lights so that they face the opposite way because if they are faced the way they are now they will blind the drivers over here because they drive on the opposite side of the road.

Sheitskees.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
Sheitskees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Interesting because if I'm not mistaken, you can't walk in to some of those dealers in the U.S. and order a car you have to buy from inventory off the lot.

But to answer your question directly, you can, in the U.S. walk in to any GM dealer and still order a car equipped the way you want. Evidence all the Camaros that are ordered by memebers on this sight. There are exceptions, however, and those exceptions explain your point.

When you are overseas, there are many Chevrolet products that are not available here in the U.S. Daewoo brand cars are now branded Chevy's every where else in the world except Korea. Many of the Chevrolets you find in Europe for example are built in Korea by GMDAT and exported. The Chevy Captiva (not available in the U.S.), the Chevy Spark/Matiz (not available in the U.S., yet), the Chevrolet Epica (not available in the U.S.) and Chevrolet Cruze (not available in the U.S. until later this year) aren't built in Europe. The GM products built in Europe carry the Opel badge or Vauxhall badge.

So yes, it would be nice, I agree. But it only has to do with were the product is built. All of the manufacturers you listed have plants in Europe building that brand. But few Chevrolet products built in the U.S. are shipped widely to other countries. Mexico, yes, some in Brazil (new Malibu). Full size utilities to the Middle East, yes. But Cobalt, Impala are not shipped overseas. And Corvettes has limited sales.

So if I understand you correctly you're saying that they don't offer it because they don't have manufacturing warehouses out here? If that is the case, how do Ford, Dodge, Jeep and Harley Davidson get their products out here? Outside of the BX out here there is a 2010 Mustang GT along with a few other Ford products and a big Harley Davidson trailer full of motorcycles. I just don't understand that. And I understand that a lot of people on here have ordered their car to their liking, I was just using that to further explain my wonder about why GM doesn't offer this.

Sheitskees.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheitskees View Post
So if I understand you correctly you're saying that they don't offer it because they don't have manufacturing warehouses out here? If that is the case, how do Ford, Dodge, Jeep and Harley Davidson get their products out here? Outside of the BX out here there is a 2010 Mustang GT along with a few other Ford products and a big Harley Davidson trailer full of motorcycles. I just don't understand that. And I understand that a lot of people on here have ordered their car to their liking, I was just using that to further explain my wonder about why GM doesn't offer this.

Sheitskees.