Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Another Camaro Magazine Test - Sorry...

March 26, 2009.
CONSUMERS REPORTS - 2010 Camaro - Worth the "Weight”?
Years in anticipation and thousand of GMs test mules miles on the road have finally come together this month. Battle scared General Motors announced that the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro will soon arrive at dealerships and released one of the first production models for the automotive press to test.
And test we did!
First Drive- In our Atlanta test facility at the Atlanta Motor Speedway we drove our Victory Red SS2 6 speed manual transmission equipped car at speeds in excess of 55 miles per hour after several test laps to ensure that all safety equipment was working properly - ABS warning lights, tire pressure indicators, air bags, etc. The test driver did notice that tire pressure in one of the tires was one psi lower than the others. Points were deducted from CRs overall score due to this safety device fault. (We did notify the NTSB and IIHS to begin preliminary steps of a recall notice of the Camaro.)
Results - On the track at a steady 55 mph the two door Camaro exhibited a tendency to want to turn left, turn left - perhaps due to the banking of the track. We did not notice this problem when testing it against the CR "Gold Standard", the 4 door Toyota Yaris, a car we consider a serious competitor to the Camaro. The Camaro again lost points due to this obviously poor build quality in the setting of its wheel alignment - not a good sign for a car with such a long gestation period. When conducting the braking portion of our test we were quite disappointed in the much ballyhooed "Brembo" brakes. Two of the test drivers were flown to Atlanta's Mercy Hospital with severe frontal lobe and whiplash injuries due to the tremendous "G" forces they endured when braking. This is yet another safety issue GM needs to address forthwith. With regard to “handling” one of the aspects that Chevrolet has spend much of its time and money perfecting on its Zeta platform , there were major deficiencies noted. For example on the lateral “skid pad” test there was almost no “skid” before it reached .99g’s ! We would expect that a car that was primarily engineered by GMs Australian Holden Division to understand the much touted “21s Century” sports car to be able to “drift”, but alas, once again GM has missed the mark for what ”today’s” driver really wants – to be able to drift from lane to lane.
Although we were hesitant to continue with the remaining portion of the test, reluctantly we did conduct our simulated "Traffic Merge" acceleration test. We found the Camaro to be seriously and dangerously in violation of the Federal Clean Act provisions for new vehicles. When the driver engages the clutch and pushes down the accelerator pedal, plumes of black smoke will fill the rear wheel well portions of the vehicle and the surrounding area for a minimum of one quarter of a mile - with the accelerator pedal push in only half its travel distance. Why? We can only surmise that GM has taken the Federal Relief Package dollars and lobbied an exemption of the Clean Air Act for this engine/drive line package. Certainly not in the spirit of the Relief package. Shades of AIG? Perhaps.
Ergonomics – we immediately conducted our simulated family of 5 seating test. Again, there were safety violations with the 2010 Camaro – no safety belts or shoulder harnesses for front and rear the middle passengers. Also, we noted that the trunk space had been seriously compromised due the overly stylized rear fenders, or as Chevrolet calls them the car’s “shoulders”. The so called “shoulders” rate rear side visibility as a “D-“ for this vehicle. In addition the proportions make the car look “overweight” when compared to the Yaris. And as most readers know CR has been on a crusade about overweight Americans.
Conclusion – GMs Chevrolet has missed the mark of excellence with its latest automobile. We cannot recommend the 2010 Camaro until its safety defects, ergonomics and smog equipment are completely brought into compliance with the appropriate laws and regulations. We cannot recommend this vehicle for the reasons stated above, plus there is no data on this 2010 vehicle that is being produced in 2009. Our computers and our logical minds cannot figure out how to do this.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
SandiCandi

Drives: 2010 Camaro
YOU SOB!

YOU ALMOST HAD ME!

HATE YOU!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Redwolf20

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
LMAO! Nice!
Redwolf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
wow, i cant believe i took 2 minuts out of my life to read this lmao, iwill get you back
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
You're too early!!! You should've posted that next week... particularly on Wednesday...
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
1982camaro

Drives: 1982 camaro
had me there. Almost lost my appetite reading it
1982camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
:i ono::ion o:
Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
WHAT? you seriously didn't take all that time to write this?

:bangdesk:

cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam2fst4u View Post
WHAT? you seriously didn't take all that time to write this?
:bangdesk:

I'm in the dog house (again) and banished to the den.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
as you should be

LOL ok it is almost kinda funny
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
stopped reading after you compared it to a yaris... you could have at least might a slightly believable comparison!
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #12
Liberty1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS; 2010
Great satirical article! Love the comparison to Yaris. I wouldn't put it past CR to be this asinine. Good stuff!

Meet Black Betty...
Liberty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #13
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
A Yaris. Finally, a just comparison. Forget all this Mustang/Challenger/370Z/Genesis Coupe jive.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
Joe Remi

Drives: '17 Impala V6 LT
I would show this to my wife but she's blond and drives a 4-door Yaris. IF I ever got around to telling her it's a joke she would kill me.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote