Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #57
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
If the LS7 is put in a 5Gen it WILL be a Z28.

With the 1LE being so capable, adding the LS7, better brakes and such, it WILL be the best Z28 ever. It will kick butt against Porsches, AMGs and other very expensive and capable cars.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #58
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...all good thoughts. Here's what I'm thinkin'...If the Z is made in 2014, and...I say again if it is, it will not have any designed intention beyond that of a track car to intentionally minor as a drag car. To carry the Z badge, it would have to be well thought out and designed to it's track racing heritage. The name is hallowed, as Scott said. We know there are no real weight savings to be gleaned on this Holden chasis. As much as we clammored for a LS7 in the current body form I do believe we have a better than even shot to get it before the next Gen arrives. Will it be the Z/28? I think not. A limited special edition 427 CID LS7 powered stick shift collector car, with a Pedders, ZL1, and 1LE blend of items? Perhaps...with a name only GM's marketing team knows. I genuinely believe the Z/28 will be introduced with the next Gen and DI.
Would you be disappointed if the possible LS7 Camaro is called a Z28 or do you just think they are saving it for the sixth gen? It looks like they're giving a lot of Camaro fans what they're asking for. To me an LS7 Camaro is definitely worthy of the name. It doesn't need wings and an afterburner. A 2025 Camaro should definitely have the technology worthy of the name but why wait? I thought the general consensus around here was that the 1LE was pretty close but just missing a few ingredients. Looks like we will be getting them.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #59
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Would you be disappointed if the possible LS7 Camaro is called a Z28 or do you just think they are saving it for the sixth gen? It looks like they're giving a lot of Camaro fans what they're asking for. To me an LS7 Camaro is definitely worthy of the name. It doesn't need wings and an afterburner. A 2025 Camaro should definitely have the technology worthy of the name but why wait? I thought the general consensus around here was that the 1LE was pretty close but just missing a few ingredients. Looks like we will be getting them.
I for one think the 1LE was close, but needed just a little more and the most important of that little more IMO is the LS7. Yes there are other 1LE things that could be a little better also, but I think a better engine is the key.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #60
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
If the LS7 is put in a 5Gen it WILL be a Z28.

With the 1LE being so capable, adding the LS7, better brakes and such, it WILL be the best Z28 ever. It will kick butt against Porsches, AMGs and other very expensive and capable cars.
...and there you have it...anyone, place your bets....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
...good points, first, we are not sure they will actually do a LS7 Camaro are we? Second, looking out at 2025 is a bit far off for now, and waiting until then for the Z/28 reappearance will not be an issue, as I and you are sure it will come to fruition before that time would you not agree? Just because we, as a tiny minority group within a larger group of Camaro enthusiasts here at C5, who are even a smaller group than the sum total of the Camaro consumer market out there wish for a LS7 Z/28 does not automaticaly mean GM will produce this model, does it? I want it like yourself, but, my gut tells me otherwise, just my O2. I would like to end with I have been known to be wrong before, usually on a daily basis....
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #61
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
That's where the 5th gen being the only generation without a Z28 argument comes in. Agree that they wouldn't wait past the sixth gen for a Z28. They built an LS7 concept so we haven't been the only ones thinking about it and we have seen quite a few concepts make production. We know they wanted to use the Z28 name and changed their mind at the last minute. It probably was mostly because they felt the ZL1 didn't deserve it. It also could have been that they were saving it for another 5th gen car or the sixth gen like you were saying. They most likely didn't have the 2014-2015 model year already planned out back in 2007-2008. They knew the fifth gen would be successful but in reality bankruptcy dictated how far they could go and how many different models they could bring us. In my opinion somewhere along the line the LS7 idea came along but they had to gauge the success of the ZL1 before they went on with development. Didn't the ZL1 development get put on hold for a while? I'll admit that with the success of the 1LE it's a tight performance gap to fill between it and the ZL1. I think the Z28 name will hinge on what price point they want it to land and what other things will be attached with the LS7. Whatever they build has a chance of being a huge success if they can differentiate it from the ZL1 without pricing it into the stratosphere. Putting the Z28 name on it definitely wouldn't hurt sales.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #62
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Love the one your with. There is always something better around the corner. With that in mind technically nobody should ever buy anything ever. As far as horsepower goes. Just add modifications. If you dump enough money in you can have as much horsepower as you want. Half the fun of owning a Camaro is endless hours of adding horsepower. The other half is beating more expensive cars in races.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #63
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
It would be cool if you could still get a bare bones stripper Camaro...crank windows, no AC, no fancy radio or navigation stuff, cloth cheapie interior, rubber steering wheel, untinted glass/no sunroof , standard non-RS headlights and plain jane wheels... with the LS7 and a bulletproof driveline.... at a price that was equal to or cheaper than a loaded SS. I know it could never happen in this day in age, but i think it would be neat as heck.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #64
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
And joeybsyc's Z28 would be different than mine. Sure the LS7, but I am enjoying the leather, A\C, high tech suspension, XM, stereo, etc. Chevrolet has a Z28 in the works and I'll bet we'll see a 5th gen Z28 - done right!! They sell cars as a business so if a 5th gen and a 6th gen Z28 creates excitement and sales, you'll see both cars. The Chevrolet pattern is this - new model year release then subsequent packages and upgrades annually. ('10 SS, '11 Vert, '12 ZL1, '13 ZL1 Vert, '14 Z28??) I patiently waited for the ZL1 in year 3 and would have bought one whatever they called it. If Chevrolet builds an LS7 Z28, I'll be first in line. That LS7 in the Vette is awesome!! P.S. - I'm sure the LS7 Z28 will not out perform the Vette.....but I'm okay with the big brother syndrome!
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012

Last edited by Z Boss; 01-02-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #65
cfodor

Drives: Chevrolet
Look what ford did with the boss 302 cars they handle they stay true to the heritage and have a 5.0 in them. It would be cool to see a stripped down street camaro with a high reving motor.
cfodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #66
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfodor View Post
Look what ford did with the boss 302 cars they handle they stay true to the heritage and have a 5.0 in them. It would be cool to see a stripped down street camaro with a high reving motor.
Yes but Ford is capable of building a one off engine for the BOSS 302, GM is not. Besides, the LS7 is a high revving engine.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #67
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Yes but Ford is capable of building a one off engine for the BOSS 302, GM is not. Besides, the LS7 is a high revving engine.
I agree with the LS7 statement, I don't agree that GM is not capable of building a one off engine. GM is plenty capable, they just don't have the willingness or desire to do one.
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #68
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I agree with the LS7 statement, I don't agree that GM is not capable of building a one off engine. GM is plenty capable, they just don't have the willingness or desire to do one.
You are correct!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #69
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Well, yeah technically they are capable of doing it but they aren't willing to. That's what I mean by they aren't capable.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #70
tom7322

Drives: Yes
I think the Z28, if they even call it that, will be a 1le pkg with a 6.2 DI from the C7 vette but not
the same power level. I was just reading a article about the new C7 where the GM spokesman
had mentioned that the vette engine was going to be used in other platforms! I think it was on speed.
Been reading alot of news on the C7. What a great looking car. So there's the engine we get?
Hopefully with new hood style and front facia, rear diffuser? Have to set it apart from the SS Cain't waite.
tom7322 is offline   Reply With Quote