Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Help! Exhaust Bung location issue.

So I contact SLP and ask for the best location to weld a bung to my headers so I can install an A/F guage. They say the collector is the best but if I weld one there I will mess up the ceramic coating. That was it, not other suggestion on where or how. Is there a thermo epoxy that would work or be feasible? The bung has to be welded before the cats so I'm not sure what to do here. Any experience or help in this area would be great.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
should have had the bung welded before coating. just remove the coating where you need to weld it in and go about your business.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
should have had the bung welded before coating. just remove the coating where you need to weld it in and go about your business.
I thought the same thing but they don't ship the headers with pre-welded bungs as far as i know. Since these are performance heads, would be a good idea for header companines to install a bung with a removable plug for this reason. Maybe it's a cost thing..

So when they say "ceramic coating" is this inside or outside the header? I was assuming it's on the inside. If this is the case, how would I remove that and go on about my business?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
SLP's are ceramic coated both sides, just drill it and weld in a bung. Drive on....

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Name:  Resized O2 bungs.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  291.5 KB
These are the stainless steel bungs I went with before having my headers coated. Headers should be back by Friday. I used a stepped drill bit. You may need to grind off some of the coating on the outside to allow the bit to get started and then around the hole where it will be welded. The bit should have no issues going through the coating on the inside. I just hope I drilled the holes in the correct location, meaning there is enough room for the o2 sensors to fit and not hit anything. I wouldn't trust an epoxy.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
Attachment 351586
These are the stainless steel bungs I went with before having my headers coated. Headers should be back by Friday. I used a stepped drill bit. You may need to grind off some of the coating on the outside to allow the bit to get started and then around the hole where it will be welded. The bit should have no issues going through the coating on the inside. I just hope I drilled the holes in the correct location, meaning there is enough room for the o2 sensors to fit and not hit anything. I wouldn't trust an epoxy.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated..