Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #155
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Unfortunately your right. And I like the way you think.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #156
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
Unfortunately your right. And I like the way you think.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #157
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Joe - I like the sound of your prediction.

But after some of the stiff-riding, lightly sound-insulated, minimal-feature cars that have been in our daily driving past (and the way my current DD is slowly headed) I can easily understand driving a track-oriented car on at least a semi-daily basis. Hell, a little 4/10ths street driving is how I'd be able to stay even a little current in between the track time opportunities.

That said, there would be a couple of "features" that I'd personally choose if they were on the option list. A small tire trailer and a second set of 19 x 11/11.5's so I wouldn't have to use up any of the R-compound life even getting to/from track days or autocrosses.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #158
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I wonder what people would do today if cars came like they did in the 60's. I was reading the options list for the 65 Corvette, and just about everything was a option, and if it was standard equipment some things could even be deleted for a credit. Like a heater, or even you had the option the switch the standard 4 wheel disk brakes back to front disk rear drum brakes...
Tobay if even the base model car doesn't have power this or that, a good stereo, AC, or even automatic climate controllers people complain...

Maybe automakers have just spoiled us...
Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #159
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Drives: '13 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I wonder what people would do today if cars came like they did in the 60's. I was reading the options list for the 65 Corvette, and just about everything was a option, and if it was standard equipment some things could even be deleted for a credit. Like a heater, or even you had the option the switch the standard 4 wheel disk brakes back to front disk rear drum brakes...
Tobay if even the base model car doesn't have power this or that, a good stereo, AC, or even automatic climate controllers people complain...

I agree, I think it's ridiculous to an extent. I remember my dads nova had power steering, and that was it. The rest was a good ol carb 454. No AC, no radio, said he didn't need a radio with that 4-speed transmission haha
JBA 3" CAT-BACK Model 40-3114
Cold Air Inductions intake (near-chrome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-6g...ujjgV9wZo9jnXw

Quote:
I agree, my car without cats doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like high octane Bad@ssness emitted through a natural speaker producing "Muscle Car Music"
ebaugh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #160
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaugh1990 View Post
I agree, I think it's ridiculous to an extent. I remember my dads nova had power steering, and that was it. The rest was a good ol carb 454. No AC, no radio, said he didn't need a radio with that 4-speed transmission haha
How very true. And that's what we had. A SHP motor, 4 speed and posi rear. No frills, no comforts. Funny how I was one of a few who argued here on C5 way back before the ZL1 was announced when the rumor was they were building "something". I asked for a delete ride that harkened the days of old, with gobs of performance, a stiff track ride, without the ammenities. The popular opinion was that it would not be done, could not be done. Moral to the story: be careful what you wish for, it might come true. And it did for me with the Z/28. It's everything, and more, than I asked for. Thank you Chevy!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #161
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Collectively, we've been spoiling ourselves.

All the way to an overblown sense of entitlement to luxury, I'm afraid.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #162
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
How very true. And that's what we had. A SHP motor, 4 speed and posi rear. No frills, no comforts. Funny how I was one of a few who argued here on C5 way back before the ZL1 was announced when the rumor was they were building "something". I asked for a delete ride that harkened the days of old, with gobs of performance, a stiff track ride, without the ammenities. The popular opinion was that it would not be done, could not be done. Moral to the story: be careful what you wish for, it might come true. And it did for me with the Z/28. It's everything, and more, than I asked for. Thank you Chevy!
That's what I liked about the z/28, that it would be stripped down. If I can get my hands on one, it won't have much, and it will be a manual. I like my auto, but I miss shifting my own gears, if I could I'd trade my car for an ls3 lol.

I admit the Bluetooth hands free with myLink is awesome, but if you think about it, do we really "need" it? Do we really "need" heated seats, auto dimming rear view mirrors, leather seats, power windows/locks. I can go on, I'm only 22 years old but when I look at my car, I see a MUSCLE car, not a sports or luxury coupe.

Quote:
I agree, my car without cats doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like high octane Bad@ssness emitted through a natural speaker producing "Muscle Car Music"
Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #163
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Seriously is it really that hard to have an aftermarket stereo added? I hear it happens all the time.
And is it that difficult to check the box that says AC?

Besides those 2 things what else does anyone need?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #164
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Seriously is it really that hard to have an aftermarket stereo added? I hear it happens all the time.
And is it that difficult to check the box that says AC?

Besides those 2 things what else does anyone need?
I agree. I was thinking about not getting the AC, but I live in central Florida and if its going to be my daily driver that would be a mistake for me.

Quote:
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #165
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Joe - I like the sound of your prediction.

But after some of the stiff-riding, lightly sound-insulated, minimal-feature cars that have been in our daily driving past (and the way my current DD is slowly headed) I can easily understand driving a track-oriented car on at least a semi-daily basis. Hell, a little 4/10ths street driving is how I'd be able to stay even a little current in between the track time opportunities.

That said, there would be a couple of "features" that I'd personally choose if they were on the option list. A small tire trailer and a second set of 19 x 11/11.5's so I wouldn't have to use up any of the R-compound life even getting to/from track days or autocrosses.

Norm
I agree with you and like the way you think as well. While I have no doubts that the Z/28 could be daily driven, it isn't the best use of the cars capabilities. It's along the same lines of the original hummer. People were buying it just to drive around suburban streets, never actually taking the vehicle off road. Sure you can drive a hummer on the streets, but other than the 'hey look at me' factor... why? On the street you're only realizing the negatives and none of the positives of the car. If you're looking for dual duty street/track, then it makes sense. Never/rarely take it to the track? ZL1 is better.

A hitch for a tire trailer, or a trailer option would be nice. I'm actually not a fan of the 19" wheels. I'd much rather have an 18" wheel option. Better and more R comp tire options, which are cheaper in 18" as well.

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-12-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #166
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
I agree with you and like the way you think as well. While I have no doubts that the Z/28 could be daily driven, it isn't the best use of the cars capabilities. It's along the same lines of the original hummer. People were buying it just to drive around suburban streets, never actually taking the vehicle off road. Sure you can drive a hummer on the streets, but other than the 'hey look at me' factor... why? On the street you're only realizing the negatives and none of the positives of the car. If you're looking for dual duty street/track, then it makes sense. Never/rarely take it to the track? ZL1 is better.

A hitch for a tire trailer, or a trailer option would be nice. I'm actually not a fan of the 19" wheels. I'd much rather have an 18" wheel option. Better and more R comp tire options, which are cheaper in 18" as well.
The Hummer, although a Monster Jam sized vehicle, was an expensive toy, and impractical for street use, was bought by some of those who could for the look at me factor I would agree with. But, it did have the comfort ammenties as well I believe. The Z/28 I predict may be a purchased by a few with the expendable income to show off, but it's gonna be very harsh to drive on cruize nights, to car shows, or little circuit tours around the bling bling rides. This won't be like the ZL1...at all. Daily driver does not fit in the Z/28 lexicon.

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 04-12-2013 at 11:29 AM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #167
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
I'm actually not a fan of the 19" wheels. I'd much rather have an 18" wheel option. Better and more R comp tire options, which are cheaper in 18" as well.
I'm pretty sure those massive brakes need the 19's. Even if the calipers were to clear 18's (it looks unlikely), that's less space between the wheel and rotor edge where there needs to be a good amount of space to evacuate the air coming through the rotors.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #168
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
I'm pretty sure those massive brakes need the 19's. Even if the calipers were to clear 18's (it looks unlikely), that's less space between the wheel and rotor edge where there needs to be a good amount of space to evacuate the air coming through the rotors.
Yeah, caliper clearance is definitely a concern. That being said, plenty of Porsche guys with massive stock brakes/calipers and stock 19" wheels have been able to 'downgrade' to 18" wheels for track use. Those trofeo R tires are pretty expensive and aren't known to last very long. I'm a big fan of NT01s for R comps, but they only come in 18" sizes.

I guess we won't know until the car comes out and someone tries to fit 18" wheels on the car. Those Z/28 stock 19" are VERY nice wheels, though. Forged too... yummy.