Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #169
harrycamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro lt w/ chrome 20's
I am thinking of doing this mod. The only thing really stopping me from attempting it is that idk how to solder. Any ideas on how to learn? It could be one of those skills that is useful for me to learn. Or one of those strange secret things I know how to do. haha
harrycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #170
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Maybe take apart something you don't use anymore? old remote? old clock? i don't know really. The only thing I actually soldered was the leds in the ABL on the doors, but those are different. they look like little light bulbs and were easy in the fact that they weren't so tiny, but still hard as I really needed about 4 hands.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #171
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrycamaro View Post
I am thinking of doing this mod. The only thing really stopping me from attempting it is that idk how to solder. Any ideas on how to learn? It could be one of those skills that is useful for me to learn. Or one of those strange secret things I know how to do. haha
YouTube is your friend.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #172
creektrack

Drives: N/A
There's a few videos on YouTube, but its best to just find something laying around that doesn't work anymore, or get something cheap on CL or a pawnshop and try it there first, nothing beats hands-on experience...

Although, when i did these leds for the first time 6 years ago, I just started right out on my own cluster, with no experience at all...I got a 15 watt iron from radio shack and I've never had to replace to it...I did however get another 45 watt for the jobs that require a lil more heat...and make sure you get the correct solder, I use silver bearing solder, has a good melting point to it...I've done a few repairs that ppl tried doing themselves and the solder they used was like melting steel, I would have to use the 45 watt iron with some desolder braid to remove the bad stuff...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
creektrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #173
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yup, when I jumped in and did the soldering on my gauge cluster, I had never soldered on circuit boards prior to that - only soldered wires together. It's pretty easy to do, just take your time.

FWIW - I bought a "Hobby Kit" from Harbor Freight for like $20, it was a soldering iron with 3 soldering tips and 5 woodworking tips. The brand new soldering iron with a fine pick tip makes the job pretty easy.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #174
harrycamaro

Okay thanks everyone! Yeah youtube seemed like a good place to look. I don't imagine it being too hard. I will probably try to do this sometime in the near future then, maybe a slow weekend at school.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #175
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrycamaro View Post
Okay thanks everyone! Yeah youtube seemed like a good place to look. I don't imagine it being too hard. I will probably try to do this sometime in the near future then, maybe a slow weekend at school.
You'll just want a low wattage solder iron. I found that a screwdriver-shaped tip works well for getting the old LEDs off. Just don't leave the iron on the part or board for more than a few seconds at a time to avoid overheating. I also use a multi-meter that has a diode/continuity tester built in. When testing these small LEDs, they will light up dimly when you have the polarity correct. That is how I always checked them. Also get more LEDs than you plan to use. The parts are pretty inexpensive compared to shipping and waiting. You may break/burn a few if you are new to it. Also, a good pair of tweezers is a must. Especially with the 0805s. Oh, and if your eyesight isn't the best with very small stuff, the magnifying head visor is a plus.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #176
harrycamaro

Thanks. I'm just looking to get a cheap iron from radioshack possibly. So about getting the old LED's off, do i just pry them off or do I need to take them off a diff way?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #177
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

I'm sure that there are several techniques...and I'm no professional. With that being said, what I do is heat up one side until the solder melts, then twist the screwdriver tip back and forth while pushing slightly to lift the part from the board a little. I then go to the other side and work it up. I go back and forth between the two sides until it is off. Most of the time it only takes once per side, because the other side will bend a little. If you aren't careful though, you can lift the traces right off the board. That is why it is best to do a little on each side at a time.

Some professionals use hot tweezers, which basically heat up both sides at once. Those are expensive though.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #178
harrycamaro

Okay thanks. This should be a fun mod to try out.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #179
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Also get more LEDs than you plan to use. The parts are pretty inexpensive compared to shipping and waiting. You may break/burn a few if you are new to it. Also, a good pair of tweezers is a must. Especially with the 0805s. Oh, and if your eyesight isn't the best with very small stuff, the magnifying head visor is a plus.
Very good points - I burned a couple and had to wait for more to come in. I ordered a couple extras for the ring and about 5 extras for the numbers.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #180
Kumar07

Drives: black with white stripe
what size led do i need to get for that if i am changing it out? for the window switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglwngss View Post
Headlight:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=disable+drl

That thread is actually for a different purpose, but it'll suffice to figure out how to get it back together. The switch itself come out of the car very easily. Use fingernails and pull it towards you.

I don't think I've seen one for the window switches. Have you ever taken apart the door panel? Once it's apart, the window switches is just in a box with some plastic tabs to hold it in the door. There are two LEDs in the driver side and only one on the passenger side switches.
Kumar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #181
creektrack

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar07 View Post
what size led do i need to get for that if i am changing it out? for the window switch
Window switches are 0805, and you will need 3?, but get 5 or more...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
creektrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #182
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
Is there a DIY write up on changing the door to red ?
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote