Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Nighthawk89

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Ss M6
Should i attempt this install myself?

BMR Products

- TCA033 (Trailing Arms)
- BK006 (Outer trailing arm bushings)
- TR004 (Toe links)
- SB039 (swaybars)
- EK011 (Front end links)
- BK039 (Upper control arm bushings)

OEM Parts

-GM rear endlinks
-GM rear lower control arms

As well as solid subframe bushings.

I don't have a lift handy.. Just jack stands.. =/
Nighthawk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
Yes! BMR has good instructions.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Hard to say. BMR has good instructions, but doing the subframe bushings are pretty involved. Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. I suggest reading over the instructions and see if you feel comfortable performing the tasks.

The Sways and FE4 conversion are easy enough though.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
The hardest part of all this is going to be getting the factory cradle bushings out of the cradle. The rest of it is not too difficult.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Hard to say. BMR has good instructions, but doing the subframe bushings are pretty involved. Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. I suggest reading over the instructions and see if you feel comfortable performing the tasks.

The Sways and FE4 conversion are easy enough though.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
That looks to be a potentially difficult task agreed. lol. I might have that done elsewhere.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
The hardest part of all this is going to be getting the factory cradle bushings out of the cradle. The rest of it is not too difficult.
Hey Keith, Do you guys provide a tool to press out the bushings?
Old 12-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
You can get them out using the jack and heat method. Don't have to take the cradle out. Just lower it. There is a video around somewhere.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk89 View Post
Hey Keith, Do you guys provide a tool to press out the bushings?
I doubt they do (why should they?) but there is a reasonably priced 2 jaw puller at harbor freight that I saw in another thread does work: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...set-40966.html

And as said above everything should be pretty easy except for the subframe bushing. Like the trailing arms and toe rods are 15 minutes a piece, they're a breeze. The upper control arm bushing is in a confined space and normally somewhat difficult but if you are dropping the cradle anyways it will be like a 10 minute thing w handtools. Good luck either way!
Old 12-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetLegend View Post
I doubt they do (why should they?) but there is a reasonably priced 2 jaw puller at harbor freight that I saw in another thread does work: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...set-40966.html

And as said above everything should be pretty easy except for the subframe bushing. Like the trailing arms and toe rods are 15 minutes a piece, they're a breeze. The upper control arm bushing is in a confined space and normally somewhat difficult but if you are dropping the cradle anyways it will be like a 10 minute thing w handtools. Good luck either way!
Was not familiar with the price of the tool. Which is why i was asking.

What would you recommend i have done when i have the shop install the solid subframes? Or is that pretty much its own job in itself and the rest i can do myself?
Old 12-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
With the right tools it's not bad to do. Like stated above, the hardest part is removing the old bushings.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
We do not provide any kind of tool to get the factory bushings out. The 2-jaw puller is good for removing the outer trailing arm bushings, but I haven't seen anyone successfully use one for removing the cradle bushings. We always just drop the cradle completely out of the car, and cut through the factory cradle bushings with a sawzall and then knock them out (gotta be extremely careful not to cut into the subframe itself!!!!). I have seen the "heat method" explained here on the forum, but have not tried it myself. Seems like it would work good....in theory!!!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Removing the outer trailing arm bushings and the cradle bushings sucked. It was even worse for me because the car was 3 years old and there was some corrosion that bonded them even tighter than "fresh from the factory." I had to make my own press for the TA bushings, and the cradles had to be cut out with a sawzall. It can be done, but it sucks.

*Disclaimer: I did all of this in my garage on jackstands without any bushing puller tools. I followed all manufacturer instructions, and it still sucked.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
Removing the outer trailing arm bushings and the cradle bushings sucked. It was even worse for me because the car was 3 years old and there was some corrosion that bonded them even tighter than "fresh from the factory." I had to make my own press for the TA bushings, and the cradles had to be cut out with a sawzall. It can be done, but it sucks.

*Disclaimer: I did all of this in my garage on jackstands without any bushing puller tools. I followed all manufacturer instructions, and it still sucked.

Im a tad bit worried. Lol. So you guys are speaking of the subframe bushings being a pain. Correct? When your talking about the "cradle bushings"? Im a newb with suspension parts.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
We do not provide any kind of tool to get the factory bushings out. The 2-jaw puller is good for removing the outer trailing arm bushings, but I haven't seen anyone successfully use one for removing the cradle bushings. We always just drop the cradle completely out of the car, and cut through the factory cradle bushings with a sawzall and then knock them out (gotta be extremely careful not to cut into the subframe itself!!!!). I have seen the "heat method" explained here on the forum, but have not tried it myself. Seems like it would work good....in theory!!!
Do you guys have a write up for the cradle bushings? Link?