Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
No matter what you say here some YaHo will chime in to disagree...
Well look into a little more. People with that feature tend to rely on it while merging on the highway believing that because its not warning them its safe to move over. I've seen it hundreds of times on my daily commute. Automated isnt always better when human error is involved.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #16
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
I've never understood the blind spot issues everyone seems to have with this car. I'm just always aware of my surroundings. I pay attention to mirrors constantly, something you tend to do after getting mashed in the rear by a semi doing 60 MPH. I generally know the lane next to me is clear well before I need to change lanes. Quick peak in the mirror, peak over the shoulder, good to go. You just have to practice a bit on the spot to look for when you do the over the shoulder peak.

I have a lot more trouble with the front end view. I'm 5' 9" with long legs, but even with the seat boosted all the way up, I still can't see the front of the car. I smoked a 90 degree curb a few weeks ago with my winter tires on and now have a giant gouge in my wheel. :(
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #17
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Oh also, I agree that the blind spot warning systems should NOT replace the over the shoulder and mirror check. Those things are not as accurate as people think, and they tolerances as far as distance are very small. It might show you're clear, and you might be, but maybe only by a foot.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #18
Mike C

Drives: 2014 Buick Regal GS AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Volvo has an amber light built into the mirrors that lights up when another car is to
your left or right rear 1/4 panel. Works really well and I wish that it was on the Camaro.

I have this feature on my Buick Regal GS, it is nice, but........I feel that the light comes on way to late. I have my mirrors set like Dirtdog's link says, and I can see the car in the mirror before the light comes on and after it goes off. It does take some getting used to.
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #19
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
Drive faster.....guarantee no one is in your blind spot when they are all being passed lol
This is my strategy.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #20
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
There are no blind spots when changing lanes in straight line I don't understand this problem? Now turning in parking lots with curbs is another story.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #21
MrIanB

Drives: 2015 Red Rock Camaro 1LT RS
Thanks everyone for inputs. Saw the setting mirrors video and will try and test it. I am always looking around but never had blind spots this big. Even in my 370Z it was easier to see all around. If the mirrors setting don't work, will consider the concave mirrors added to side mirrors.

Ian B
MrIanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #22
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Yeah, it feels pretty closed in for sure. Then I just put the top down

Someone should make a small motion detector light (aftermarket) that sticks on the mirror instead of the bubble mirrors. Probably make a whack of cash off it!

Damn! Just checked and they already make them.

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #23
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
I've got this nifty button on my Camaro up by the rear-view mirror that magically makes all the blind spots disappear in mere seconds. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #24
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
The first gen5 Camaro I ever drove was a convertible. I felt like I was in a tank, and the blind spots seemed terrible. Two days later, I was used to it. Then I bought a SS coupe. The blind spots aren't that bad. You'll get used to it.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #25
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdog View Post
There are no blind spots if you set your mirrors correctly.
Quote:
+1!

I have never had any vision issues and have always set my mirrors this way.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #26
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
The first gen5 Camaro I ever drove was a convertible. I felt like I was in a tank, and the blind spots seemed terrible. Two days later, I was used to it. Then I bought a SS coupe. The blind spots aren't that bad. You'll get used to it.

you mean with the top up? That back window is pretty small.

I drove a coupe first, rental car in Hawaii. I picked it up at nearly midnight so there was a bit of awkwardness getting used to it in the dark, but within 24 hours it didn't seem that bad.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #27
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
you mean with the top up? That back window is pretty small.

I drove a coupe first, rental car in Hawaii. I picked it up at nearly midnight so there was a bit of awkwardness getting used to it in the dark, but within 24 hours it didn't seem that bad.
Yeah, with the top up. I felt like there was no visibility at all when I first got in it. It was like being in a tank. It was also cool though, because it was like driving an old school, chopped hot rod. I thought for sure I'd end up running into something.

Funny thing was, I got used to it really quick. Then I bought the SS Coupe and never worried about blind spots. To this day, I really like the whole driving experience in the 5th gen Camaro... sitting low, low roofline, etc.. it has a hot rod feel unlike any car on the market. Never even think about blind spots any more.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #28
Stonecypher

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
+1
Stonecypher is offline   Reply With Quote