Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Drilling2SS

Drives: 2012 2ss 45th anv
Camaro ss CAM questions

alright guys this is my first time posting to the sight hoping for some stellar help, this is my second 5th gen camaro, went from a 10 2ss ls3 to the 12 45ht ann 2ss ls3....love it....anyway, like to do a cam in the car

1. what cam recommend htis is my daily driver for 7 months of the year
2. is it worth it, "love the chug" of the cam but is power noticeable
3. tuning after a cam can this be achieved as easily as just buyin something like a jet, diablo, superchips ..etc
4.how long did it take shop to install cam
5. do you need to replace springs to, like a good cam witout goin broke

upcoming mods----cai, underdrive pulley, tuner, already did cat back american thunder series exhaust wit x pipe. Thanks in advance for advice
Drilling2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
you really need a full dyno tune, they run 400-500. some people do remote tunes, but out of the box never work!!!
I do not recommend a cam for a daily driver, atleast a big power cam. A lot of people do dd their cammed cars though. the power is noticable, much more fun to drive.
go with the LG, or the other common cams on this site, there are hundreds of threads on that, just search.
takes a full day to install a cam.
yes you need to replace the springs, and all the little parts around them. most do the rods too. and new chain if you run the three bolt. my cam cost me 1100 in parts
go with manley Nextec springs.
oh and next time post in right section
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
A cam can be run for a DD, but you will lose driveability as you gain more power... power and volume are without a doubt noticable..

However, I would do headers first. Better foundation if you plan on continuing to mod this vehicle.

Install for mine is 2 days, but that may be a bit misleading as I wasn't able to pick the car up until the 4th day anyway.

No way in hell would I tune my car with a handheld after installing something internal like a cam. Headers, CAI, exhaust ok... not a cam, but that is just me. If we are going to go full bore, I think it should be done on a dyno. Street tunes from guys like Ted or Tampa tuning, is fine... but just a handheld yourself from a pre-tune or chip.. no way.

...again, It took me over a year of research to do my cam. Install will easily run you 700-1500 dollars depending on your area. I would highly recommend you step up to headers first and do more research on what cam you want. There are way, way too many companies to choose from.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
you really need a full dyno tune, they run 400-500. some people do remote tunes, but out of the box never work!!!
I do not recommend a cam for a daily driver, atleast a big power cam. A lot of people do dd their cammed cars though. the power is noticable, much more fun to drive.
go with the LG, or the other common cams on this site, there are hundreds of threads on that, just search.
takes a full day to install a cam.
yes you need to replace the springs, and all the little parts around them. most do the rods too. and new chain if you run the three bolt. my cam cost me 1100 in parts
go with manley Nextec springs.
oh and next time post in right section
Why won't you recommend to DD a cammed car?

I'm also looking to get my car cammed. hopefully this year.

My car is my DD all year round.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
CosmicBrut

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilling2SS View Post
alright guys this is my first time posting to the sight hoping for some stellar help, this is my second 5th gen camaro, went from a 10 2ss ls3 to the 12 45ht ann 2ss ls3....love it....anyway, like to do a cam in the car

1. what cam recommend htis is my daily driver for 7 months of the year
2. is it worth it, "love the chug" of the cam but is power noticeable
3. tuning after a cam can this be achieved as easily as just buyin something like a jet, diablo, superchips ..etc
4.how long did it take shop to install cam
5. do you need to replace springs to, like a good cam witout goin broke

upcoming mods----cai, underdrive pulley, tuner, already did cat back american thunder series exhaust wit x pipe. Thanks in advance for advice
To try and answer all your questions here it goes....
1)first decide how much power you want to make
2)then pick a good tuner to tune the car and that will make the biggest difference.
3)You have to decide if you're going the naturally aspirated route or going to use a power adder down the road
4) a good shop can tune a stage 3 all out cam to suit your daily driving concerns, but a bad shop can make tuning a stage one cam a nightmare.
5) my last piece of advise is not to chase a Dyno number, go to the track and see what the cars actual potential is.
6) I'm sure there will be other people who will want to add to this list so whatever I may have forgot I'm sure I will be corrected on.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
Why won't you recommend to DD a cammed car?

I'm also looking to get my car cammed. hopefully this year.

My car is my DD all year round.
A cam is absolutely fine for a DD. Anything up to a stage II is fine.. talk to the guys at LG, Mike Norris, Ted Jannetty and trust me.. they can find you one with great gains and less shake if you don't want it in cabin...

When you go to a stage III, or something that pushes you near 480hp, you will then start to see your drive ability dip. The cars I have been in, always seem to start dipping in drive ability as you mod past 450-470 rwhp.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Drilling2SS

awesome notes from you guys sorry i posted in the wrong section, new to this forum other sites i have belonged to u selected where you were posting after you typed your post. what type headers do you recommend ? shorty or long tube, i know long tube gives you more torque... like its really needed haha but is there much benefit to the shortys?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
fourmz
Fourmz

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 1968 Firebird 1994 Z28
Long tubes fo full effect of the cam.
Quote:
awesome notes from you guys sorry i posted in the wrong section, new to this forum other sites i have belonged to u selected where you were posting after you typed your post. what type headers do you recommend ? shorty or long tube, i know long tube gives you more torque... like its really needed haha but is there much benefit to the shortys?
Black-in-Black/Blue out 2010 2SS/RS LS-3 -Magnacharger TVS2300,OD cog belt drive, 3.4" pulley, Janetty smooth idle blower cam,ID-850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump,MSD boost a pump, ADM FPCM Janetty custom tune,Doug Thorley long tube headers, Corsa catback,C.A.I. Intake, Roto-Fab Big Gulp Scoop, Monster LT1/SC Clutch assembly,Eibach pro kit plus, BMR cradle/diff bushings, Barton Shifter,JRE 3.91 Eaton Tru-Trac rear diff,Barton Short Throw SHifter, Boss 339 20" wheels,Painted heritage grille, Sparks Restoration Inverted blue/black SS emblems, Seibon BB carbon fiber hood, ZL1 front bumper conversion.
fourmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
LTs wont just give you torque, it will greatly increase HP with a good tuner. If you added that at the same time with a cam, your numbers would be fantastic...

The sound with headers is incredible.

..I would go with a 1 7/8" for daily driving application. Kooks, Stainless Works, LG, American Racing... etc etc... with high flow catalytic converter it will push you near 1200-1400 dollars.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Not much benefit to shorties... def go LT.. and welcome to C5...
Old 02-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
A cam is absolutely fine for a DD. Anything up to a stage II is fine.. talk to the guys at LG, Mike Norris, Ted Jannetty and trust me.. they can find you one with great gains and less shake if you don't want it in cabin...

When you go to a stage III, or something that pushes you near 480hp, you will then start to see your drive ability dip. The cars I have been in, always seem to start dipping in drive ability as you mod past 450-470 rwhp.
My goal for the car is to be at 500+whp N/A. (hopefully)

The Cam I wus looking to put on my car wus the Vengeance stage III or the LG G6X3 cam. A little Drivability loss is fine with me. As long as I don't need to rev the car so much just to take off I'm fine with that.

My other concern is that how big of a cam can I put on the car without having the need to modify the heads and be safe for DD? I wus looking at the Vengeance Stage IV (spec - 239/251 .624/.624 113+3) and wus wondering If I need to modify the heads to fit that big of a cam and would it be safe for DD?
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
Drilling2SS

long tubes it is, any great sites you guys are buying parts off of? sorry its quicker to ask than read and read for the info i want, same with a underdrive pulley and cai
Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
www.bigflowexhaust.com Can't beat the price on these 304 stainless and polished. We have them on a bunch of cars in our club.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
hunt

Drives: 10 SS 08 675 13 Stryker 10 S1000RR
Just about every dealer on here has A+ customer service and are priced within reason..

I know if you buy from JRE Ted will tune it for free, if you want that kind of deal.
hunt is offline   Reply With Quote