Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 09-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Who lost the bowtie off their Heritage grill?

I heard someone talking Saturday at the BBK meet that they lost the bowtie off their Heritage grill. Who was it? If you are the one or you are thinking about getting a heritage grill and aren't thrilled with the possibility of having to clip/hook your bowtie to the front of your new grill for fear that it might fall off, there is a solution.

I did a photo shoot yesterday for my buddies shop in Rancho Cucamonga that will be in the October issue of Muscle Car Tech and Drive Magizines. For those of you that have seen the door sill plates, liscense plate cover, bowties and the older version of gill covers that were on my car (they have been replaced with the latest version) it was his shop that makes them.

I remembered hearing the story from Saturday where someone lost their bowtie and ran it over. I knew he was working on one for the Heritage grill but wasn't sure if it was finished so I didn't say anything. Well, since I know for sure that it is finished, I can say, there is an option out now if you want either a pollished billet or black powder coated billet bowtie for your Heritage grill that doesn't have the cheap hooks that scratch the slats or just plain dont hold on to it.

Unfortunately, I do not have the picks of the Heritage specific bowtie, but insted of having two posts that plug into the factory location, his has four posts that reach the back of the grill slats and come with an actuall plate that bolts up to the back of the slats making a nice tight seal and will not come off unless you take it off. Plus it is easy as hell to put on if you remove the black plate where the hood latch is.

He is offering 20% off his retail prices for anyone on Camaro5 (he was sick and couldn't make it to the BBK Event) that calls in an order on ANY of his parts. You can see them on his website, and you can get his number from there as well.

As for the gill covers, the ones that were on my car looked like they were lifting on the top part of the body from the curve of the panels. Well, that has been fixed on the latest version (3.0 I think ) They lay completely flat, are super thin and hold like a bear.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Cabrera
Freightrain Coming Ur Way

Drives: V8-1968 & V6-2000 & V6 2010 Camaros
I went outside to check.... yup, still there!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
Bluestreak 2010

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
I don't mean to steal your friends thunder, but for those who don't want to get new bowties, Clean Cut Creations now has this mounting plate for the original bowtie.

Bluestreak 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
2010SSRSM6

That is one option, but why would you want to add a spacer to your bowtie when you could put one on that is made for the grill, not plastic and looks way better?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Raab_Himself

Drives: v6 manual n shit'
pics or it doesnt exsist
Raab_Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Bluestreak 2010

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
That is one option, but why would you want to add a spacer to your bowtie when you could put one on that is made for the grill, not plastic and looks way better?
I can't argue with your point about being made specifically for the grille and not being plastic, but if I am looking at the right ones on the website I would rather keep the stock bowtie. Of course, that is just my personal opinion and I may not be looking at the ones you are talking about.

As far as the spacer goes, it looks like a much more secure option than the clips that I and quite a few others have been using to mount the bowtie to the heritage grille. I posted this to make those people aware that it was now an option if they were concerned about their emblems falling off.
Bluestreak 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Cabrera
Freightrain Coming Ur Way

Drives: V8-1968 & V6-2000 & V6 2010 Camaros
I'll take some pics and hope they do justice to what i'm describing. I read an garage installation from someone here at the forums, who broke the tabs, drilled some holes and tied it with zip ties....... like a said, i checked and still there.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak 2010 View Post
I can't argue with your point about being made specifically for the grille and not being plastic, but if I am looking at the right ones on the website I would rather keep the stock bowtie. Of course, that is just my personal opinion and I may not be looking at the ones you are talking about.

As far as the spacer goes, it looks like a much more secure option than the clips that I and quite a few others have been using to mount the bowtie to the heritage grille. I posted this to make those people aware that it was now an option if they were concerned about their emblems falling off.
The bowties on the website are the same one's that go on the heritage grill. The difference is on the back of the bowtie, the mounting system is different.

They are Billet aluminum, either polished or black powder coated. You can custom paint them if you wanted to or find a powder coater that will custom color them for you. Not everyone likes the factory bowtie, that is why these are available.

Over time the gold will start to bubble and come out of the center cap and the silver will start to flake off of the factory bowtie (happened on 2 of my previous cars). That is one of the down sides to living in the desert. High heat breaks the glue down and the sand tears the cheap plastic parts up. The Billet is much more durable. That is why I replaced my bowties. That and I wanted to be different.

My only issue with the spacer is that it looks like it is as thick as the factory bowtie. I could be wrong, but I think that would take away from the clean look that the Heritage grill provides.

If you were sticking with the factory bowtie, the spacer looks like a much better option than the clips or zip ties. But, if you want a billet bowtie, I would rather get one that was made specifically to fit the heritage grill rather than one with clips that break, requires zip ties, or will require the use of the spacer.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrera View Post
I'll take some pics and hope they do justice to what i'm describing. I read an garage installation from someone here at the forums, who broke the tabs, drilled some holes and tied it with zip ties....... like a said, i checked and still there.
Glad you didn't loose yours.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
2010SSRSM6

Here is a shot of the billet aluminum bowtie on the heritage grill:

Name:  CM261 Heritage 2.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  46.3 KB

Here is a shot of the bowtie sticking out from the front of the grill:

Name:  CM261 Heritage 3.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  33.7 KB

Here is a direct compairison to the plastic spacer:

Name:  Bow_Tie_Brakt_HG_2.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  80.5 KB

Top view of the mounting plate:

Name:  CM261 Heritage 4.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  37.5 KB

Flush view of the mounting system:

Name:  CM261 Heritage 1.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  47.7 KB

You can see from the pic's that the only way this bowtie is going to come off is if your grill is broken where the mount is secured. Not very likely to happen. Someone or something would have to break 6 slats.

If you look at pic's 3 & 4 you will see the difference in mounting depth or lack of depth, between the two options for mounting a bowtie to the heritage grill without using the cheap clips.

I'm not sure how well the screws will stay secured in the plastic backing of the spacer. I know on the billet bowties the studs that secure the bowtie to the grill are threaded metal and will not breakdown the same way the plastic will.

Now you can see what options are out there and make your decision based on which ever one you like the best for your application.

If you chose to go with the billet bowtie, don't forget to mention Camaro5 and get a 20% discount.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #11
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Bow tie on!!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
Jimbabwe

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
Bow tie on!!!!
How is yours mounted dunerider?
Jimbabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
dragom
2G1FB1EV3A9121989

Drives: Rally Yellow RS Coupe
Since I paid 100.00 to have my bowties match my car I would rather have the kit from clean cut creations. Not much of a fan on the billet bowties.

Last edited by dragom; 09-27-2010 at 07:24 PM.
dragom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:48 AM   #14
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragom View Post
Since I paid 100.00 to have my bowties match my car I would rather have the kit from clean cut creations. Not much of a fan on the billet bowties.
How do your bowties match your car?