Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Griot's Garage unsatisfied

I'm very unsatisfied with the results that i got from Griot's Garage polishes. Their clay and speed shine are ok, but I applied machine polish 3 and best of show wax by a dual action polisher, and I am very unsatisfied with the results of the machine polish 3. The wax is okay. It was a little tough to take off, but what wax isn't once you let it set. Next time that I get money, I am buying Adam's. I am very pleased with their detail spray and soap, so i hope their polishes are just at good.

P.S. If it was my choice, I would have went with Adam's the first time, but my dad only gave me enough money to get Griot's, and I needed the buffer before winter because my Camaro doesn't stay in a garage. If it did, I would've waited for Christmas to get Adam's. Now I'm waiting to get it for Christmas anyways (minus the porter cable because I already have a dual action polisher.)

Last edited by Iomcamaro; 09-07-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: I was a little harsh about my review yesterday because I was aggrivated
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
If I may step in here...this sounds like it's your first polishing job. This isn't something you pick up and get perfect results on immediately. It takes practice to know how much pressure, how fast to go, how much polish..etc. The shine you get comes from the polishing step, NOT from the wax. The wax is there to seal up your hard work.

I know that Adam's polishes are great- that's what I use. I've never used any of Griot's stuff, but I think that you might want to be careful blasting somebody when the product might not be at fault. Their stuff really might be crap, I don't know. But I think you should hone your technique first, then evaluate which products are better than others.

Of course, if you are a PC expert, then I apologize.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

It was my first time, but I was told that machine polish 3 was a rough enough compound to take out the scratches and swirls. Now I come to find out that the people at the Griot's dealer were wrong. They saw my car in person so they should've known what it needed to take. The people from the direct store said that I would need a more aggressive polish in order to remove the swirls and stuff. I mean don't get me wrong, the polish did leave a shine, but they have so many different polishes that I didn't know about that it gets confusing. I like how Adam's only has 2 different polishes that you use together. Griot's has 4 with 4 being the least aggressive and 1 being the most. I'm not saying that their products are crap and won't work, I'm just saying that their way of business with telling me that this one will work then telling me that it will take another product to get the job done later on, its bad business.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Simplicity is the number 1 reason that I use Adam's to teach with. When I was using Zaino and Meguiar's, I had people constant contacting me with questions on confusion. It is not that there was anything wrong with their products, it was just that people felt that they had to get a PhD in detailing and most said that they didn't want to spend all their time learning this stuff. I would have to say that I don't blame them. If you have anything that resembles a life, who would unless you do this for a living.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
It was my first time, but I was told that machine polish 3 was a rough enough compound to take out the scratches and swirls. Now I come to find out that the people at the Griot's dealer were wrong. They saw my car in person so they should've known what it needed to take. The people from the direct store said that I would need a more aggressive polish in order to remove the swirls and stuff. I mean don't get me wrong, the polish did leave a shine, but they have so many different polishes that I didn't know about that it gets confusing. I like how Adam's only has 2 different polishes that you use together. Griot's has 4 with 4 being the least aggressive and 1 being the most. I'm not saying that their products are crap and won't work, I'm just saying that their way of business with telling me that this one will work then telling me that it will take another product to get the job done later on, its bad business.

Oh ok now I understand. Yes, Adam's is a simple process. 2 polishing compounds and three pads you can combine them with.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Ladyz28

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 2001 Ford Focus
If you need something more aggressive for the scratches and swirls, then Adam's Swirl and Haze remover may not be aggressive enough as well. It wasn't for mine. I had a better result with Meguiar's M105 ultracut compound and M205 ultra finishing polish and a PC. Got rid of my swirls and scratches. I can spot touch some scratches with them and Adam's hand buffing pad.
Ladyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

It wasn't all the fact of simplicity. It was the fact that the dealer said that it would work guaranteed then I found out that I had to buy something else.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
MuttGrunt

Drives: Not Enough
Luckily Griot's has one of the best return policies in the market. Call them up and return your stuff for your full refund, and purchase the product's you'd like to get in their place
MuttGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

I didn't order it online so idk how to return it. The dealer policy is if you use it, it's your problem now.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
I didn't order it online so idk how to return it. The dealer policy is if you use it, it's your problem now.
That's pretty much the experience I had with every product out there except for Adam's. I had never heard of a 110% money back guarantee. You can't touch that with the MC Hammer dance!

Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

What pads would I use with M105 and M205, or should I try to get some SHR and FMP along with Adam's pads first?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
What pads would I use with M105 and M205, or should I try to get some SHR and FMP along with Adam's pads first?
I would definitely not start with M105/205 first. Although they are outstanding products, there is no need to cut more clear coat off the car than necessary. Always start with the lesser of two evils. Remember, you are removing clear coat off the car, albeit a very, very small amount at a time with the PC and Adam's polishes.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Ok, Junkman I have another question. I asked it on another thread, but nobody has answered. What is the shelf life of Adam's products? I have a dealer near me, but their products were born in 2007. That didn't seem safe to me. I can't order any online because I don't have a credit card or paypal because I'm too young. And thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Ok, Junkman I have another question. I asked it on another thread, but nobody has answered. What is the shelf life of Adam's products? I have a dealer near me, but their products were born in 2007. That didn't seem safe to me. I can't order any online because I don't have a credit card or paypal because I'm too young. And thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
From my personal experience, the shelf life depends a lot on how you store the products. I still have the first bottle of SHR that I ever got and it still works fine. I know that was almost 3 years ago because it is white in color. If you allow the product to freeze or boil, then that will quickly kill the shelf life.

That's not a definitive answer, but it is my personal experience. As for your inability to buy any product, why not just give the money to a family member and have them buy it for you?