Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Thinking about moving back to Virginia......

Hello,

Well as the title states, I'm considering making the move. I grew up in Charlottesville, my parents live in Greene County, and my sister lives in Scottsville. I haven't lived at home since 1998. I've been all over the place since then with the Navy. I currently live in San Diego, CA. I've been out of the Navy since 2008.

I just have some questions about taxes, property ownership, vehicle emissions, and vehicle inspections.

1. In Ca, I pay 9.3% income tax. Is the VA rate anywhere near this or less?

2. What are property taxes like?

3. How much is vehicle registration with personalized plates?

4. I read on the VA DMV website that only certain counties have emission requirements. For the counties that do not have emissions requirements, does the state vehicle inspection require that emissions equipment not be tampered with? I.E. say if I were to move my cats?

Some places I'm considering moving:

Charlottesville
Virginia Beach
Maybe Richmond
???
???
???

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Todd.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Sidewinder

Drives: 2SS/RJT/A6/Received 09/09/09
Come on home!!!!!!!!!!!! Virginia income taxes don't come near to CA. You should check out our state web site for detailed data. Property taxes vary by county so its hard to compare however they should be much better than CA.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
jonm38

Drives: 2016 Siliverado LT. Camaro SS
Fredericksburg is ok, your close to DC and Richmond and Virginia Beach, or you could go to the Mountains in the Summer time. Alot of things going on here.

USN - 1990 - 1994

2010 Camaro 2SS Red Jewel
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Well yeah Va still charge you state and personal property tax and the housing economy got a little better. North of Spotsyvania .... you got to get an emmission test so there goes the long tubes with hi flo cats. Other than that .... if you miss the east coast.... them come on home!!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
just north of Richmond, south of F-Burg...
less state taxes (4.5% sales tax, I believe)
property taxes are a percentage of what they used to be...
no emissions tests here.
vanity plates are cheap, and so is registration...

definitely no San Diego weather...it was 103 here today!!
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Flaminbird

Drives: 2000 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Flaminbird
Don't do it!! OMG I want out of this state!! I cant stand the traffic, the people, the traffic, the cops, the traffic, the personal property tax, the cops, the traffic....the people, the traffic, the cops the people.....did I say traffic?? And while the traffic isnt bad where you are thinking of moving to except maybe Richmond the cops are the same in the entire state.

Snoop....no emissions. Don't you remember? ;P
Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
thesnoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaminbird View Post
Don't do it!! OMG I want out of this state!! I cant stand the traffic, the people, the traffic, the cops, the traffic, the personal property tax, the cops, the traffic....the people, the traffic, the cops the people.....did I say traffic?? And while the traffic isnt bad where you are thinking of moving to except maybe Richmond the cops are the same in the entire state.

Yeah I agree with the traffic thing...it sucks ass!! (sorry mods ...it will make you wanna say that) ....and yes you mentioned traffic LOL and I remember the emissions
Old 07-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
what traffic?

we got no traffic round these here parts....

NoVa traffic sucks. I thought Dallas traffic sucked, but clearly, it can't hold a candle to what you all have to put up with every day. I'd go postal if I had to deal with that $h*t every day.
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
thesnoopster

Yes NoVA traffic sucks ....I deal with it all the time here, dc and maryland....make you wanna have a drink when you get home lol
Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:

I agree with everything said. This place sucks a bad one. And I'd add a couple things to her post which she left out: traffic, the people, the traffic, the cops, the traffic, the personal property tax, the cops, the traffic....the people, the traffic, the cops the people.

F this place in the A.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #11
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:

He he, if you don't like that stuff, then don't move to California! lol. It's all of that X eleventy billion. You want to know how much I paid to re-register my Trailblazer SS this year? $549.00!!!!!!

How about emissions laws that put VA to shame? I'm technically not allowed to install any aftermarket part on my car that hasn't been certified by the C.A.R.B. (california air resources board).

9.3% income tax remember? Oh yeah, and that's on top of an almost 9% sales tax!

And don't get me started on the gun laws.......

I remember all to well the ****ed up VSP and also local police where I grew up. But hey, this time around I'm a responsible adult not running around with riff raff. So hopefully I'll stay out of trouble this time.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #12
Flaminbird

Tee hee . Glad you all agree with the my thoughts on the area and NO WAY would I move to Cali!! That's a horrible amount to register a car there. Good lord!!!

The place I'd love to live are the following:

South Carolina
North Carolina
Georgia
Texas....maybe
Arizona
New Mexico
Washington

and if no other place was I able to move to I'd go lightning fast back to PA.
Oregon
Old 07-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
Sidewinder

Drives: 2SS/RJT/A6/Received 09/09/09
Welcome back to Virginia in advance of your return. Every place has it's ups and downs. Most law enforcement problems are issues that people bring on themselves. I love Virginia. If you relocate to N. Virginia traffic is an issue however in my location it's a minor issue compared to Fairfax, Prince William and other areas closer to DC.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
Flaminbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Welcome back to Virginia in advance of your return. Every place has it's ups and downs. Most law enforcement problems are issues that people bring on themselves. I love Virginia. If you relocate to N. Virginia traffic is an issue however in my location it's a minor issue compared to Fairfax, Prince William and other areas closer to DC.
Oh sheesh. Bring it upon themselves.......tha t's a load. VA has more downs....at least this area then it has ups. In fact I dont know of anything that's good about this area.