Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

View Poll Results: How Fast or Which Car Wins
Mustang beats the Camaro 23 14.65%
Camaro beats the Mustang 78 49.68%
Mustang is Faster than the CTS-V Track Record 1 0.64%
Camaro is Faster than the CTS-V Track Record 8 5.10%
Camaro is Faster than the Viper 4 2.55%
Mustang is Faster than the Viper 0 0%
Camaro and Mustang out perform the C6 Z06 5 3.18%
Both Cars are Faster than the CTS-V Track Record 16 10.19%
Mustang beats the Camaro by 1 Second 6 3.82%
Camaro beats the Mustang by 1 Second 16 10.19%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #43
Camaro427

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
If you do the weight to hp ratios, you will find the Camaro has the advantage there.
Camaro427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #44
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro427 View Post
If you do the weight to hp ratios, you will find the Camaro has the advantage there.
Yes, but the track doesn't particularly favour power/acceleration. And heavier cars have an inherent disadvantage in handling abilities. So the idea was to compensate the Camaro's weight with extra power, beyond what would equalize them for power to weight ratios.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #45
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
It isn't that simple though, that is what pete mentioned earlier. The heavier car also has a disadvantage in braking then...comparatively...
Old 08-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #46
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Yes, but the track doesn't particularly favour power/acceleration. And heavier cars have an inherent disadvantage in handling abilities. So the idea was to compensate the Camaro's weight with extra power, beyond what would equalize them for power to weight ratios.
you beat me to it, so I just added the braking part
Old 08-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #47
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Part of what we did is to max out the performance -- without going into the motor. We could have built monster motors, changed out transmissions, drive shafts, rear gears, half-shafts and more. These two cars are attainable. Saleen may well choose to build a car exactly like ours and it wouldn't be close to a six figure car. Most any enthusiast can take elements of what we have done and apply it to their own Camaro or Mustang. The fuel system limits us to the RWHP we are making. Could we replace the fuel system, of course, but we are back to adding big bucks to the final build if we do the work to OEM standards.

We are down to a few tweaks we are kicking around after the latest head to head run. My guess is we can wring out another 1/h second or so from each car. Run the next session on a cooler day and it would be a bit more. There isn't any low hanging fruit left unless I put my driver on a all fruit diet and get him down to under 100 pounds.

There was a post from SSteve that come through my email, but I can't find it here.

The weight advantage of the Mustang is too much for the Camaro to overcome. While you were in those deep technical discussions with the government motors guys, did you happen to ask them why they made the car so heavy?

Also, is that cat wearing the red shoes the owner? Do you get a pair of those shoes when you buy a set of Pedders coilovers?

The Camaro is a bigger car than the Mustang. If the Musstang were as large it would be virtually the same in weight. I hear rumors that the next Camaro will be a bit smaller. I am not sure that is a good idea. My wife loves using the Camaro as a family car because it is larger inside than the Mustang. How much that will impact sale of a 6th Gen Camaro I don't know. Smaller and lighter will be a HUGE gain on the track, but the last time the Camaro was that size they didn't sell enough of them to continue to build them. Then again, the Mustang continues to sell.

Those are my Ferrari driving shoes. I can afford to pay cash for the shoes. When I can pay cash for my new Ferrari I'll lose the shoes.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #48
Camaro427

I think there is a 300lb or so difference between the stock Camaro and Mustang. But as I have heard, you cannot put enough bracing on the Mustang. There is quite a bit of weight added to the Mustang in bracketry and bracing to fix their sins. So I do not think their is as much weight advantage as initially discussed. But I will repeat, I believe the Camaro has at least a .3 second advantage over the Mustang.
Time will tell once everything is posted
Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #49
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
I think there is a 300lb or so difference between the stock Camaro and Mustang. But as I have heard, you cannot put enough bracing on the Mustang. There is quite a bit of weight added to the Mustang in bracketry and bracing to fix their sins. So I do not think their is as much weight advantage as initially discussed. But I will repeat, I believe the Camaro has at least a .3 second advantage over the Mustang.
Time will tell once everything is posted
I can't wait

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #50
Camaro427

Just found where the times are posted. but will no post them here out of respect.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #51
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Just found where the times are posted. but will no post them here out of respect.
Do tell

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #52
JusticePete

Quote:
Old 08-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #53
JusticePete

We are editting the videos. I'll get them up soon.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #54
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We are editting the videos. I'll get them up soon.

(I just like using that smiley when I can... he's has attitude!)
Old 08-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #55
JusticePete

Not the video you all have been waiting for but I like it. Pedders, V8 Supercars Racing, Supercar Coilover details and the Best that Holden and Chevy build...

http://www.youtube.com/user/BGP1965
Old 08-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #56
JusticePete

In fairness to the small minority of Mustang on this site we are posting the Mustang in car video first.