Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #239
QuickZoh6

Drives: 2006 ZO6
I don't think it is a regulator issue--reason behind that is because when you took the line off the bottom of the regulator to see if it was plumbed correctly, there was still a wait time before fuel came out of the bottom of the regulator. It should be nearly instant. That tells me that there is another issue besides the regulator. If the regualtor was stuck open, there would still be fuel flowing almost instantly out of the return port.
QuickZoh6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #240
realsquash

Drives: Four Door Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickZoh6 View Post
I don't think it is a regulator issue--reason behind that is because when you took the line off the bottom of the regulator to see if it was plumbed correctly, there was still a wait time before fuel came out of the bottom of the regulator. It should be nearly instant. That tells me that there is another issue besides the regulator. If the regualtor was stuck open, there would still be fuel flowing almost instantly out of the return port.
Except that when he screwed with the adjuster on the FPR before key-on the problem went away. Until the next time. Then he did the same thing again and no problem. He did this a number of times and had the same positive result each time. A few days of that BS and it seems to be more consistently down to a few seconds prime time (which is still too much). It sounds like he's wearing down whatever is hanging up whatever is in the FPR.

It's not a check valve problem - we powered up individual pumps and also ran them both at the same time and it didn't make a difference. The bleeding down of pressure after key off should not be instant. But when it is instant it is because the FPR isn't shutting all the way, or taking too long to do so, and the pressure bleeds right off. When he screwed with the adjuster on the FPR pressure bled off nice and slow, just like it should.

Andy
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #241
realsquash

And like I said before, drop the supply line before the filter and turn the key on and see what happens. If it just dribbles a little fuel and then takes off 30 seconds later there is a problem in the tank.

I would also take the filter out and look at it.

I would do that first, but if that's inconclusive you need to take that FPR off and either take it apart or send it to Aeromotive for them to look at it.

Andy
Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #242
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by realsquash View Post
And like I said before, drop the supply line before the filter and turn the key on and see what happens. If it just dribbles a little fuel and then takes off 30 seconds later there is a problem in the tank.

I would also take the filter out and look at it.

I would do that first, but if that's inconclusive you need to take that FPR off and either take it apart or send it to Aeromotive for them to look at it.

Andy
These are my next two steps. I will put it up on stands this weekend and check flow out of line prior to filter. Then after the filter. I will also remove the filter from the housing and check it. After that i will screw with disassembling the FPR.

The car is acting better, no longer needs 3 minutes in the morning to get pressure. Another thing i have noticed is if i key on and immed crank the starter then key off for a second then key on....it gets pressure quicker

Bottom line is i can drive my car and it is getting fuel under boost because my AFR gauge drops to 11.1 and stays there when getting on it.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #243
Quiky One

Drives: camaro
I would change the fuel filter anyway after a few hundred miles just to make sure any debris that may have been in the new pumps or lines is gone. That can rule that out too.

I never have had any luck with Aeromotive regulators. I don't mind their lines, fittings, or filters, but their regulators have failed on me before. Mine failed and quit rising 1:1 with boost. I have switched to fuel lab regulators and haven't had any issues.

I don't like either brands pumps, however. That is another topic and not your issue here!

Jason
Quiky One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #244
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I noticed that the fuel pump prime seems to only work when the car is cold. Once warmed up the pump does not prime since the rail is supposed to hold some pressure after shut-off. I have it set to 10 seconds and it does exactly that on the first start up but once the car is up to operating temp it no longer seems to prime.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #245
Quiky One

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR View Post
I noticed that the fuel pump prime seems to only work when the car is cold. Once warmed up the pump does not prime since the rail is supposed to hold some pressure after shut-off. I have it set to 10 seconds and it does exactly that on the first start up but once the car is up to operating temp it no longer seems to prime.
I just pulled a tune on 10' Camaro to double check this. The car does not use ECT to determine prime time. It doesn't even know that you just shut the car off. You have another issue.

Jason
Quiky One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #246
realsquash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR View Post
The ECM is triggering the pump? How do you have them wired for them to do that? The instructions with our setup tells you how to wire it up and if you follow them the pump(s) will always be running if the key is on. Prime time in the ECM shouldn't come into play at all.

Andy
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #247
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiky One View Post
I just pulled a tune on 10' Camaro to double check this. The car does not use ECT to determine prime time. It doesn't even know that you just shut the car off. You have another issue.

Jason
Maybe something else is keeping the pump from coming on once the car is up to temp.

This is with the key in the on position. Once you start to crank it then the pump turn on.

Quote:
The ECM is triggering the pump? How do you have them wired for them to do that? The instructions with our setup tells you how to wire it up and if you follow them the pump(s) will always be running if the key is on. Prime time in the ECM shouldn't come into play at all.

Andy
My bad Andy, I don't have your setup. I was referring to the stock fuel pump.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #248
QuickZoh6

Drives: 2006 ZO6
Quote:
Except that when he screwed with the adjuster on the FPR before key-on the problem went away. Until the next time. Then he did the same thing again and no problem. He did this a number of times and had the same positive result each time. A few days of that BS and it seems to be more consistently down to a few seconds prime time (which is still too much). It sounds like he's wearing down whatever is hanging up whatever is in the FPR.

It's not a check valve problem - we powered up individual pumps and also ran them both at the same time and it didn't make a difference. The bleeding down of pressure after key off should not be instant. But when it is instant it is because the FPR isn't shutting all the way, or taking too long to do so, and the pressure bleeds right off. When he screwed with the adjuster on the FPR pressure bled off nice and slow, just like it should.

Andy
I was just throwing out some ideas. good luck.
QuickZoh6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #249
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickZoh6 View Post
I was just throwing out some ideas. good luck.
I for one appreciate your input!
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #250
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

This car is sickening!!! With meth turned on, it goes to about 10.1 AFR and is out of control. Turn off the pump and the AFR is about 11.4-11.6....too damn out of control to really look at the gauge. Pat G tuned it without the meth and i plan to run the meth in the heat of the summer.

Fuel system is runniing like a champ, just the annoying delay in the mornings. Now it is consistently down to about 20 seconds at first start up. It is the regulator i believe because at key on it is making some interesting sounds. Then a big thump at the regulator followed by full pressure.

I will video it tomorrow and post here.

Once again.....i am just ecstatic to be driving this car again. I have been beating the shit out of it and it seem to get better and better

Just an update, and thanks again to all those who offered help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #251
G200 Pilot
G200 Pilot

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS purchased 5/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
This car is sickening!!! With meth turned on, it goes to about 10.1 AFR and is out of control. Turn off the pump and the AFR is about 11.4-11.6....too damn out of control to really look at the gauge. Pat G tuned it without the meth and i plan to run the meth in the heat of the summer.

Fuel system is runniing like a champ, just the annoying delay in the mornings. Now it is consistently down to about 20 seconds at first start up. It is the regulator i believe because at key on it is making some interesting sounds. Then a big thump at the regulator followed by full pressure.

I will video it tomorrow and post here.

Once again.....i am just ecstatic to be driving this car again. I have been beating the shit out of it and it seem to get better and better

Just an update, and thanks again to all those who offered help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy for you Bull!! Enjoy your car, finally!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #252
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G200 Pilot View Post
Happy for you Bull!! Enjoy your car, finally!
Thanks, now to figure out if i want an F1C, or twin turbo setup. My shop says they can do a custom twin turbo for a grand more that swapping to an F1C or F1R.

The D1SC is sucking hind tit and maxxed out at 5300rpm on the DYNO with lots of belt slip. This big breathing motor wants more CFM

Im out of money