Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #561
Mcarltonjr

Drives: 2013 F150 STX
Im surprised they havent taken care of this. I took my ss in for warranty work and the service department dented the hell out of my camaro. Threats of suing and not five days later they where repainting the vehicle. No idea who did the damage. Don't care. The damage to your car? Im surprised they didnt jump on fixing this quick. I wish you the best of luck and you have my sympathy. Shame to see such a beautiful zl1 totaled do to incompetnecy. I really question dealerhships and their integrity.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #562
1LESSPROBLEM

Drives: blown
No way in HELL should you have to BUY another car from them. They OWE you another car.
Cam
Weld
Old 01-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #563
TenaciousRock

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula
I've been following this closely, as I know some relatives of Mr. Hooper. I shot a paraphrased version of the posts John has made here to my best friends dad who is the service manager of a GM/Cadillac dealer and he said the following:

Quote:
G.M. has no obligation dealerships are privately owned. The first thing I would do is contacted my insurance so they can go after the dealerships insurance company. All dealerships have a disclaimer for road testing vehicles by authorized personal for testing purposes, since the vehicle has taken from their care, custody and control on a day they were closed and not for test purposes this persons lawyer should have a field day. It’s hard to believe they are being this difficult! I would go after them hard, he probably should of first gone to the owner or the executive of the company and told him to make it right or he will go to the media before the story got out itself, as a bargaining chip. The only legal thing that is required by the dealership is for their insurance to cover the claim. If his attorney thinks there is a civil suit he would know? One thing is for sure I would not buy anything from them!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #564
G Money

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2016 Denali HD
Can you give us all an update on this situation ?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #565
TenaciousRock

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula
OP posted an update yesterday G Money, post # 529, that is probably the most recent info available
Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #566
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
John, I am very sorry you have to be dealing with this BS. It's clear the dealer is at fault and needs to give you a brand new ZL1 to replace yours.

I did some searching to find some similar stories and heres what came up. not sure if anyone has mentioned these, but they are all similar to your scenario, John.

An M5 wrecked by dealer technician on "test drive". Took 16 months to finally close the case.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...16-months.html

A Porsche 996 wrecked by a dealer technician on a test drive
http://carpundit.typepad.com/carpund...a_porsche.html

2005 corvette in for broken antenna and jammed trunk. Dealer drives, against the owners orders, and wrecks it. Car was eventually replaced with brand new 2007 corvette at no loss to the owner.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...h-a-new-b.html

Hang in there John... we're pullin' for you.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #567
ORANGE CRUSSH
ORANGE CRUSSH

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoop302 View Post
The latest in the saga of the totaled ZL1 #1635...

The dealer was supposed to be finding me a 2013 ZL1 new. They agreed (or so I thought) that it would be for the best since buying a used one (yes, ME BUYING from them) could only lead to problems down the road.

I have been patient. I finally got a call on Monday (1/6) to come over to look at the car they "found" for me. They were sure I would be pleased. Imagine my surprise when the car they "found" turned out to be a trade-in on a new Stingray. The car was a 2012 ZL1, black like mine, but with a sunroof (which I do not want), 34% more miles than mine, new tires (why did it need new tires at 13,588 miles?), different wheels than mine, non-Chevrolet emblems front and back, and tinted windows. Also absolutely NO documentation on the car, even though I was told the car had more documentation than mine.

I was not even told the mileage on the car until I went out and sat in it for myself. Amazing that we had to go over all the figures first. And yes, I was to buy this car from them. They did offer $4K "feel good" (their words, not mine) money to buy the correct emblems and rims. However, nothing was mentioned about a lower price for the higher mileage.

My wife and I just were not that happy with the car. We offered a counter-offer and let the dealership for them to discuss our proposal.

When we got home last night, we discovered through this forum (thanks, guys) that the car was a TWO owner car, not a one-owner car like we were told. We also found out that the car was hit 3 days after the original owner purchased the car. WE paid $55 for a CarFax report--the dealer didn't even offer that for us. They did have some other report, but it wasn't a CarFax.

So they were basically trying to SELL us a 2-owner vehicle that had previous body damage, along with tinted windows, incorrect emblems, more mileage, the apparent need for new tires, and heaven only knows what else.

They called today to tell us that their original offer to buy THAT car from them was ALL they were going to (or willing to) offer. Take it or leave it. We really did not want a twice-used car with no documentation and do not feel it was a reasonable replacement for our show-winning, pristine, fully documented car with much less mileage.

So folks, almost a month later, I am still making payments on a car I do not have, and certainly cannot drive. And the dealer is unwilling to step up and "do the right thing."

I have retained an attorney, but really, why should I have to pay attorney fees when I am the innocent party in all of this. I did not ask for my car to be stolen by a dealer's employee.
just make sure you are keeping track of all your expenses (i.e. rental car etc) and i would get the highest priced rental something like what you were driving, because in the end they will pay for all this. they were at fault PERIOD! I am no lawyer, but they owe you a new car no doubt about it. the contract you entered into was leaving the car in good shape and getting back in equal or better shape (considering you were having work done)

The dealer is upset about the negative press they have received GOOD (jerks), yet they seem unwilling to do anything to remedy the situation. This just means they are idiots to not have settled already

I guess they will get what they deserve, even if I do not get what I fully deserve (my car replaced at no expense to me).

If this hadn't actually happened to me, I don't think I would have believed it.

The story has now been covered in the local newspaper (Cape Gazette), the local news station (WBOC), and a Philadelphia station (NBC10). Simply amazing...

John
you should have a magnetic sign made with following on it

DEALER NAME HERE wrecked my 2013 ZL1 and won't make it right!

and put this on your rental, they can do nothing to you for speaking the truth, they would not be mad if you were driving around with a sign saying how great they are....just food for thought

best of luck we are all with you!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #568
BrunSS

Drives: VR ZL 1
I would pull the dealership through the mud !! Let all TV Programms ,newspapers and all the People know how they do their Business !!!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #569
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW7 View Post
This just doesn't seem to make sense at this point. By now the insurance company or companies should have come up with a value and tried to settle on a number for the totalled 2012. That is just how this has to work, one insurance company would take the lead and come up with a value and then go after the perpetrator. As far as after a settlement number is reached then it goes from that point.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #570
PrinzII
Future ZL1 Owner

Drives: 2011 Edge Limited
Hoop,

After reading this further, I hope you nail this dirtbag. You truly deserve better than this!
Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #571
BHW7

Drives: 2010 2SS
Justin, one big difference here vs. all the other examples you have listed is one giant one. The dealership was closed in this one unlike the others you posted. In those situations techs etc. drove vehicles during business hours. This one is absolutely different. In this case it is more a case of theft, no more no less.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #572
Leviser

Drives: 03 BLK SSS, 13 BRM ZL1.
Good luck John,
Glad to see media involved.
Now it's GM turn to get involved, district manager to help persuade the dealership to do what's in their best interest. The need to satisfy the customer. A 2012 low production ZL1 will be a collectible, and there is now way to get this back now. He should get a new car. Dealership needs to eat the cost of what the insurance doesn't pay for. If dealership chooses to, they can go after the ex-employee to recoup their loss.

Just some #'s not facts,
2012 ZL1 originally paid $60k
Insurance willing to pay $40k
So that leaves $20k

Come on, you mean to tell me the dealership can't easily recoup this quickly, they will over price a few stingrays above sticker ($5k) and it's done.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #573
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviser View Post
Good luck John,
Glad to see media involved.
Now it's GM turn to get involved, district manager to help persuade the dealership to do what's in their best interest. The need to satisfy the customer. A 2012 low production ZL1 will be a collectible, and there is now way to get this back now. He should get a new car. Dealership needs to eat the cost of what the insurance doesn't pay for. If dealership chooses to, they can go after the ex-employee to recoup their loss.

Just some #'s not facts,
2012 ZL1 originally paid $60k
Insurance willing to pay $40k
So that leaves $20k

Come on, you mean to tell me the dealership can't easily recoup this quickly, they will over price a few stingrays above sticker ($5k) and it's done.
And this is what GAP insurance is for.

Also why I said the dealer should have made it right in the beginning with a new identical car and had the customer agree that any compensation is the dealers. From either insurance company.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #574
Leviser

Drives: 03 BLK SSS, 13 BRM ZL1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
And this is what GAP insurance is for.

Also why I said the dealer should have made it right in the beginning with a new identical car and had the customer agree that any compensation is the dealers. From either insurance company.
Thanks PQ, so there is something wrong all together with this dealer!
It would seem pretty easy for them to order a new car or search for a new one to make their customer happy. How this turns my stomach!

I am going to be more mindful the next time I am at the dealership for anything.

Closed Thread

Tags
1st state chevrolet, stealership, stolen, totaled, wrecked, zl1