Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
69er

Drives: 69 Z/28 , 83 Z/28 (L69), 10 2SS CGM
Potential Problems With Dealer Installed Stripes

My Camaro order includes the dealer installed rally stripes. My dealer is balking at that idea. He was pretty much up front in saying he wasn't sure if they could do a good a job as the factory. He told me of trouble with installing stripes on a corvette before. He started saying that he could give me the stripes and infered that that I or someone else install them.

I also asked them if the stripes were warrantied for the 3/36 factory warranty. They never gave me a positive answer. You know how they can talk and talk without saying anything! I left that day without any resolution as I figured there is time to work this out.

Anyway, any suggestions to ensure I get a good stipe job? I know if I'm not satisfied with their work I am entitled to a restripe. I can just see the whole situation getting ugly...

Maybe they can farm it out to someone else.

Larry
69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
I predict this will be a major source of irritation for new Camaro buyers. We are not going to accept anything less than perfection. There will be flaws just by the nature of this option and I fear all sorts of misery for new buyers.

Good luck to folks who opt for the dealer installed stripes.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
I flat out told the dealer... "not that I don't trust you, but I will have the factory do it". He laughed and said he understood.

I myself probably would have held off on the stripes, if they hadn't been available in the right color.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Just as an FYI.. the striping price includes the dealer installation. If the dealer wont install it (and I would be happy that a dealer would say this upfront instead of trying and screwing it) Make sure you negotiate a new price on the stripes, because that's money you will have to pay to have someone else install them.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
If I were you I'd order the stripes seperately, without the installation included in the price. Then take them and your car to a shop that specializes in vinyl applications. You're much more likely to be satisfied with the results that way.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
USA1Camaro

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Just as an FYI.. the striping price includes the dealer installation. If the dealer wont install it (and I would be happy that a dealer would say this upfront instead of trying and screwing it) Make sure you negotiate a new price on the stripes, because that's money you will have to pay to have someone else install them.
That's a very good point. We need to find out the price of installation added into the strip package.
USA1Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
mandra

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2RS M6
I'm thinkin if I need to get em put on at a external shop maybe just get them painted at a shop.
mandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Yep...I'm still waiting on more info re: factory stripes.

One of my 'to dos' over the next couple of month is to get estimates for having them painted on.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
I am holding off on the stripes for mine. I want to see what someone else's car looks like with them first. Then, I will gladly pay the extra to get them painted on to avoid all of the issues with the vinyl application.
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Question, Can you wax vinyl stripes?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
djpheer

Drives: 08 Civic SI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evotion View Post
I flat out told the dealer... "not that I don't trust you, but I will have the factory do it". He laughed and said he understood.

I myself probably would have held off on the stripes, if they hadn't been available in the right color.
Black stripes like the ones you have listed for order are not an option from the factory. Those will be dealer installed only.
djpheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evotion View Post

The factory will only be doing Cyber Grey and White Rally stripes if you ordered a 2LT or a 2SS. Otherwise, it's the dealer who is supposed to do it. One other thing, the dealers cost of installing the stripes is included in the price you pay so if they don't do it, better get some kind of discount.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
mrpre10der

as i said before . my tread keep getting moved

i spoke with 2 dealers both dont want nothing to do with stripes .they are not set up for quality and perfection and that was from both owners and general managers. one bubble is less then perfection.im going with factory stripes..factory stripes from gm is that they find a outside company to do there work .in a clean facility with professionals. this was told to me by a friend who owns 6 corvettes .im pretty sure he knows his stuff
Old 10-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
GameOver620

Drives: 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer
I thought the factory is only installing cyber gray or white hood and hockey stripes not rally stripes
GameOver620 is offline   Reply With Quote