Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I did take an SRT8 out and it is a nice car but it just didn't electrify me like the Camaro does. As for how fast the other brands are they all take an immediate right turn when I pull up beside them? Go figure....

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
What I have heard is a ss with the 3.91 gear should be faster than a 1le in the quarter due to the transmission gearing slightly. DO not know as I have not modded my gears yet.......... More of wishing I had got a zl1 or will someday...... Myself never a fan of the blackout hood and summer only tires, the wheels are a thing I would have to have changed maybe to get good all seasons as the choices for their widths at tire rack were summer only or summer only.....and I know that has to change in time. I like the bright zl1 wheels they are o.k.. And I drive my Pirellis in sub freezing temps all the time as my ss is a daily driver. You may want to note the zl1/1le production has been halted due to cold weather thread......
Old 12-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
I did take an SRT8 out and it is a nice car but it just didn't electrify me like the Camaro does. As for how fast the other brands are they all take an immediate right turn when I pull up beside them? Go figure....
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
Mmar88

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP/NAV
The 1LE is a road course/track car. It's not really meant for the drag strip.
Mmar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
MPX

Drives: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmar88 View Post
The 1LE is a road course/track car. It's not really meant for the drag strip.
I'm aware. As much as it's a track car, it'll spend most of its time on the street for me at least. I just want to be able to hold my own at 1am on an empty on-ramp when that cocky little kid pulls up next to me in his me-too Mustang. Of course, with the '15s right around the corner, Ford might rewrite the book on cheap power and stock GTs could be blowing the doors off of everything...making this discussion moot.
MPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
MPX

Drives: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
You may want to note the zl1/1le production has been halted due to cold weather thread......
Heard about that. Weird move on the part of GM. There are still tons of these things on lots, and there will be once winter is over. Halting production seems useless to me, considering these cars are still out on the road and dealers will keep selling them through the winter. Definitely a move that won't really keep anyone safe. If someone wants one of those cars, they're probably going to find a way to get one.
MPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
I suspect with these cars it comes down to drivers, from what you are saying sounds like you are a good one and if you get a camaro you will probably still beat mustangs. Seems like none of these cars remain stock for long anyways.

If you want to drag race it seems like the L99 would be the way to go. A tune and some trans tweaking apparently wakes them up.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #22
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Just put Winter tires on it if you really want to drive it, I did. As far as the Summer tires go it's all about the performance. Summer tires perform better than all seasons and to get the ZL to try and hook up it takes a super sticky performance tire. An all season isn't going to get it done so they've gone to the F1. I agree that for the majority the all season will take care of their needs on the street but to back up all the claims GM has made with the 1LE & ZL1 they did what they had to with the tires.

As far as the other guys stepping up their end on the performance of their cars, I certainly hope so. As much fun as it is to have the latest top dog it isn't any fun if there is no competition and besides, we all get to benefit from the pony car wars. Makes me smile every time I drive mine.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #23
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
I really wish when the "car journalists" on YouTube reviewed the Camaro they would read this thread first. Whether I'm watching big corporate video reviews, like Motor Trend or small time ones, like the Smoking Tire - none of them understand the SS was designed to go straight. They all take the SS out on the track and complain. It really aggravates me. They just go over the 0-60 times and the 1/4 mile times like it means nothing. If you want track performance try beating the 1LE for price. If you want straight line performance the SS is pretty darn good. I wish the journalists understood this.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #24
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I dont know where you are looking. Three are the only times in these postsand the hotwheels is a regulat SS. If i remember correctly the 1LE pulls harder in gears 2, 3, & 4 compared to the SS so that might be why it has the Bette numbers even though you get the extra shift in the 1/4 mile.
2013 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible ZL1 (Manual) 0-60 mph 4.0
2013 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible SS 1LE (Manual) 0-60 mph 4.2 Quarter Mile 12.5
2013 Chevrolet Camaro Hot Wheels Edition (Manual) 0-60 mph 4.4 Quarter Mile 12.7

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #25
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
What I have heard is a ss with the 3.91 gear should be faster than a 1le in the quarter due to the transmission gearing slightly. DO not know as I have not modded my gears yet.......... More of wishing I had got a zl1 or will someday...... Myself never a fan of the blackout hood and summer only tires, the wheels are a thing I would have to have changed maybe to get good all seasons as the choices for their widths at tire rack were summer only or summer only.....and I know that has to change in time. I like the bright zl1 wheels they are o.k.. And I drive my Pirellis in sub freezing temps all the time as my ss is a daily driver. You may want to note the zl1/1le production has been halted due to cold weather thread......
I have heard this and would like more confirmation on this subject ...

I have a 2010 SS LS3. I had the 1LE 3.91's installed about 6 months ago and it sure is a seat of the pants difference. 5th and 6th gear are far more usable now. It feels like my acceleration increased quite a bit but I have no hard #'s to prove by how much. My MPG's sure took a hit, but who cares

By far the best mod I've done so far. I suppose a distant second would be the TSP long tubes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #26
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Nvm. Found it. Thanks to Rocky1974. Hope he doesn't mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
When GM developed the 1LE, they swapped the 3.45 gears to 3.91, as we all know. But they also swapped the transmission to a "close ratio" box. If you study the over all effect of these changes, you'll soon realize that the net effect centers around 4th gear, which is 1:1 in both transmissions. What they did, is swap the rear gears to 3.91 and then they took almost exactly the same amount of gearing out of all the transmission gears, except 4th. This was done to bring 4th "closer" to 3rd, to make 4th more useful for road racing. This is why 1LE cars are not significantly faster in the quarter and don't get significantly worse fuel economy.

When you install 3.91 gears in a standard SS, you're dropping ALL the gears by the same amount, which has a much greater effect on acceleration. You would NOT want to also swap to the 1LE transmission, because you would be spending a much larger amount of money to put all the gears back where they were, except 4th, which would undo almost all of the effect of putting in the gears in in the first place. I hope this makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #27
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
I too test drove the SRT8 Challenger and wasn't that impressed. I did want to go for the ZL1 but it wouldn't have been wise for my budget so I sort of compromised with a 2SS.

As far as ALL other brands, making a right turn away from you - don't get too cocky as there are faster factory cars out there - just may not be American. For instance, I suspect a stock Nissan GTR will take a stock ZL1....also, keep an eye out for the new 2015 C7 Z06, which will be announced in Jan '14 with delivery expected mid-yr.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #28
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I know someone who ran a 1LE down the 1/4 in 12.55@114 on a complete stock 1LE he is not on the forums though, the problem is getting them to hookup the first gear is different than a normal SS and a 3.91 axle makes it easier to light up the wheels, Also the launch control is useless.
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote