Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
anti-ricer

Drives: '13 Camaro SS, in the near future
Reasons for Manual

Hey guys, first off sorry if this is in the wrong section. Anyways, when I purchase my first car (most likely Camaro) this winter I would like to get manual transmission over an auto. I have one problem though, my dad doesn't want me to because he says my car will be a "race car" if I get a manual. I have not driven a manual before but I'm sure I would learn fast if I did get a manual. (My dad knows how to drive manual well so he would teach me.) Anyways, I thought of a few reasons to let me get a manual over auto, if you have anymore please let me know. I will be buying the car BTW.

1) A manual transmission is cheaper than auto.
2) A manual requires more concentration while driving.
3) A manual can get better gas mileage than an auto.
4) In regards to my dad saying the manual is a "race car", manual is actually slower than the automatic most of the time. (I won't speed or race so I'd rather have a car I'd get the most fun out of, I think that would be a manual.)
Old 07-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Your'e a man, get a manual.

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Terryble

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS/RS M6
He might be refering to the fact that the ls3 produces more power, or more likely that a manual doesnt loose as much power getting it to the ground. Generally speaking though (for 1/4 mile anyway) most serious racers prefer auto as they produce more consistant times. (Someone correct me if im wrong autox is not my forte) Most people that are serious about going around a track though go with manuals due to reatrictions set in rule books. Either way its a sports car.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
anti-ricer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
Ha! I like that one but knowing my dad, that wouldn't be much of a valid reason. I'm trying to put together a list of stronger reasons.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
SW31SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
I recommend the manual tranny. I'm having buyer's remorse at not doing so myself. Don't get me wrong the auto is a very nice car and I'm lucky to own one but i'll personally be doing a trade in the near future. I test drove an LS3 last weekend and am still mad at myself for not doing what was right for me the first time. Now I'm trying to decide if i like the '14 or not...
Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
anti-ricer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryble View Post
He might be refering to the fact that the ls3 produces more power, or more likely that a manual doesnt loose as much power getting it to the ground. Generally speaking though (for 1/4 mile anyway) most serious racers prefer auto as they produce more consistant times. (Someone correct me if im wrong autox is not my forte) Most people that are serious about going around a track though go with manuals due to reatrictions set in rule books. Either way its a sports car.
That's not it. He's not up on the new muscle muscle cars like I am, so he doesn't even know the auto and manual have different engines and HP numbers.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
I love the manual (especially with the MGW short shifter - it's amazing). I think the "race car" argument is actually the best reason TO get the manual... Until you get really, really proficient with this clutch (it's a little awkward and high at first) you'll be much, muuuch slower than an auto SS so the "race car" aspect is more applied to the auto at that point.

Oh yeah, also you're a man with a set of plums so you would be better off with the manual. I really think you'll regret it if you go automatic, as SW31 said

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Who's paying for the car and how old are you?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
He's 15 and paying for it himself, right? Don't hate

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
anti-ricer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squillo View Post
Who's paying for the car and how old are you?
I'm 15 but I have saved up and will be paying for the car with my own money. My dad is ok with an SS but for some reason doesn't want me to get a manual.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
Squillo

If it's your money get what you want?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
Squillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
He's 15 and paying for it himself, right? Don't hate
Just trying to assess the situation, not hate. Peace.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
Terryble

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-ricer View Post
That's not it. He's not up on the new muscle muscle cars like I am, so he doesn't even know the auto and manual have different engines and HP numbers.
Thats why I said "more likely its because the manual tranny doesntbrob you of as much power getting it to tue ground." This is nothing new, and being that youbsay hes old school he may not realize that the gap between the two has closed, even if this still holds true.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
Dumbest reason of all.....

Forget all the BS, there are plenty of legitimate reasons for getting a manual. Everyone should learn to drive one and get proficient in shifting.
And yes the manual Camaro SS has more Horsepower and transfers more if that power to the ground. Also you learn more about car control. But remember there can be disadvantages to driving a manual. But that is for another time. If he is so concerned about it being a race car why isn't he insisting on you getting a V6?
One thing is once you learn to drive a manual correctly you will never forget how. I went about 20 years without driving one and it came right back to me when I decided I wanted another one.
No matter which you get you will have a Camaro and that is what is important.

Closed Thread