Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Which intake is best?
CAI inc w/ADM scoop 75 64.10%
Vararam 42 35.90%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #71
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
They are both good choices... I have the Vararam and I'm really glad I made that choice. I can definitely tell the difference... there's no question that there is an improvement when you put it on.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #72
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEN View Post
I believe that the CAI w/ADM scoop showed 18.6 RWHP which is aprox 4.4 RWHP over the CAI alone.

Im going the CAI/ADM route and already have the scoop and a few other parts sitting here. The thing i didnt like about the Vararam is that i have read several posts regarding poor fitment,etc and i dont feel that the customer should have to make his/her own mounting brackets. Im sure its a good intake but i just chose the other option.

Installation tip for those installing the scoop. Use tin snips to cut plastic needed for scoop installation. MUCH cleaner cut and easier than using a Dremel or similar tool.
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Z/TA Rear Spoiler|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #73
B-Rex

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
i chose the CAI because it is insulated/coated and not plastic. i just didnt want the plastic intake to heat up and sort of work against itself.

plus, in the long run, i think the ADM scoop and a t3 style bumber port would make for a ton of airflow.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #74
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I believe that the CAI w/ADM scoop showed 18.6 RWHP which is aprox 4.4 RWHP over the CAI alone.

Im going the CAI/ADM route and already have the scoop and a few other parts sitting here. The thing i didnt like about the Vararam is that i have read several posts regarding poor fitment,etc and i dont feel that the customer should have to make his/her own mounting brackets. Im sure its a good intake but i just chose the other option.
Nothing wrong with 4whp. I wouldn't be able to cut that small piece of plastic though!

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:24 AM   #75
MaRoFreK

Drives: IOM 1SS w/factory Hurst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Nothing wrong with 4whp. I wouldn't be able to cut that small piece of plastic though!
Same here. Thats why I decided to go with the Vararam or New Era.

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
MaRoFreK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:53 AM   #76
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
It took me all of about a minute to do. Some installlation threads show using a Dremel and that method is tedious and the result is messy. The tin snips are a breeze, and it couldn't be any cleaner. The piece of plastic you need to cut is about 2-1/2" by 6" and is in an area that is not noticeable. It was a heck of a lot easier, and less risky IMHO, than remounting and tilting a radiator. Many people are using other remounting methods for the radiator with the Vararam, because Vararam's solution did not make them feel comfortable, which is indicative of the thought that went into the engineering and build quality of the Vararam unit. Performance issues aside, that is the biggest reason I went with the CAI unit. It looks like it should be part of the car, and not some cheesy plastic bolt-on piece under the hood.
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Z/TA Rear Spoiler|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

Old 08-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #77
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
I think im going to borrow a "micro" dremel tool from work. Its about the size of a large magic marker and use it with a cutting disc.These things slice thru metal with ease so plastic should not be a problem.They leave a very clean cut.
Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #78
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Quote:
I think im going to borrow a "micro" dremel tool from work. Its about the size of a large magic marker and use it with a cutting disc.These things slice thru metal with ease so plastic should not be a problem.They leave a very clean cut.
Didn't have access to one of those. Keep some tin snips by your side. Let me know how it works out.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #79
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Just use a hack saw blade without the handle part, very easy to saw the plastic! Took me 5 minutes! Didn't need a dremel or tin snips just the hack saw blade!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #80
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Anybody see this? Kinda backs up my points about build quality...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163355

Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #81
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:

Thank you for choosing CAI Inc.!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #82
chevyfan#1
I Love my new Camaro!!

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm1412 View Post
I will PM you later with some tips & pics....
Quote:

Thanks for all your help, I hope to purchase mine before the end of the week!
chevyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote