Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
jlanc20

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Chevy Camaro
Looking to lower...need aligned? camber kit?

I was looking to lower my camaro one inch, im looking to order just the lowering springs but wasnt sure which is the best out there? I was also wondering if i will need to get the wheels re-aligned and would i need to buy a camber kit to straighten the wheels back up vertically? I lowered my last car 2 inches and it kicked the rear wheels out so i had to buy a camber kit...thanks for the help!
jlanc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
You will need an alignment. You have to dis-assemble the suspension to install the springs. I had MTI put their 1.25 drop springs on mine and they had no problem with re-aligning it to factory spec. Any lower though, and I would be looking at getting a full alignment bolt kit. I'm going to get mine through Pedders this summer because I want a performance oriented alignment and the factory bolts with a drop most likely won't allow it.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Eric59

Drives: 2013 Summit White 1LE
Once you install the springs you will have to time the bushings and have the alignment adjusted for the new ride height.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Our springs offer a 1.25" drop in ride height, unless you're looking to specifically add caster adjustment you will not need a camber kit or any extra alignment hardware to achieve a performance street alignment. Here is a copy of our alignment spec, a good alignment shop shouldn't have any problems at all achieving our Performance Street settings. This will offer you increased handling over the factory alignment, with minimal impact to tire wear.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
I can vouch for the Pfadt street performance specs. I just rolled over 22k miles on my stock Pirelli's and there's still some tread left. Obviously I don't do a lot of burnouts but that should tell you that the settings aren't hard on your tires.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
jlanc20

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Chevy Camaro
Alright thanks this has helped alot!!
jlanc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanc20 View Post
I was looking to lower my camaro one inch, im looking to order just the lowering springs but wasnt sure which is the best out there? I was also wondering if i will need to get the wheels re-aligned and would i need to buy a camber kit to straighten the wheels back up vertically? I lowered my last car 2 inches and it kicked the rear wheels out so i had to buy a camber kit...thanks for the help!
You will absolutely need to align your Camaro after it is lowered. It is essential that you also time your bushes.

Bush Timing

Step 1. Lift the car on a two post lift and raise it.

Step 2. Loosen the following bolts/nuts:
Front:
---Inner Control Arm Bushing
---Inner Radius Rod
Rear:
---Trailing Arm Bushings (both ends)
---Toe Rod Bushings (both ends)
---Lower Control Arm Bushings (Inner)
---Upper Control Arm Bushings (Rearward)
---Lower Strut Bushings

Step 3.
Lower the car and drive it around the parking lot SLOWLY and on to the alignment lift.

Step 4.
With the weight of the car on the wheels tighten all of the nuts/bolts to spec.

Step 5.
Align the car at the new ride height.

To reach ZERO rear camber with lowering coils, you will need Pedders eXtreme Range Rear Camber Eccentrics. PDUSACAMREAR You will be able to align to the OE spec green range without them.

Here are the newest FE2, FE3, FE4 and FE5 OEM and Pedders Alignment Specs.

When selecting lowering coils for your 5th Gen I suggest you search around a bit and base your buying decision on trouble free lowering coils with great customer service before, during and after the sale.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I thought the front caster is fixed and can't be adjusted, is this correct. If so, what is needed to get the caster to max out?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I thought the front caster is fixed and can't be adjusted, is this correct. If so, what is needed to get the caster to max out?
Pedders make a cam bolt kit that uses the factory mounts for the caster adjustment,you must slot the hole then replace the factory bolt with the Pedders cam bolt.Then adjust away.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce@raymondsperformance View Post
Pedders make a cam bolt kit that uses the factory mounts for the caster adjustment,you must slot the hole then replace the factory bolt with the Pedders cam bolt.Then adjust away.
That's what I thought. So without the cam bolt your stuck with the factory castor setting. What's the price for the cam bolt?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You will absolutely need to align your Camaro after it is lowered. It is essential that you also time your bushes.

Bush Timing

Step 1. Lift the car on a two post lift and raise it.

Step 2. Loosen the following bolts/nuts:
Front:
---Inner Control Arm Bushing
---Inner Radius Rod
Rear:
---Trailing Arm Bushings (both ends)
---Toe Rod Bushings (both ends)
---Lower Control Arm Bushings (Inner)
---Upper Control Arm Bushings (Rearward)
---Lower Strut Bushings

Step 3.
Lower the car and drive it around the parking lot SLOWLY and on to the alignment lift.

Step 4.
With the weight of the car on the wheels tighten all of the nuts/bolts to spec.

Step 5.
Align the car at the new ride height.

To reach ZERO rear camber with lowering coils, you will need Pedders eXtreme Range Rear Camber Eccentrics. PDUSACAMREAR You will be able to align to the OE spec green range without them.

Here are the newest FE2, FE3, FE4 and FE5 OEM and Pedders Alignment Specs.

When selecting lowering coils for your 5th Gen I suggest you search around a bit and base your buying decision on trouble free lowering coils with great customer service before, during and after the sale.
Pete, do you have this in pdf form? I have the older one and it's a little different. I'm bringing it in for alignment the week after next! Also, can you add a note under #5 above that mentions the need for the Pedders cam bolt for front caster adjustment to be able to reach the spec of 8 in the agressive street spec? Thanks!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Pete, do you have this in pdf form? I have the older one and it's a little different. I'm bringing it in for alignment the week after next! Also, can you add a note under #5 above that mentions the need for the Pedders cam bolt for front caster adjustment to be able to reach the spec of 8 in the agressive street spec? Thanks!
I'll get a PDF version posted soon

You can pull them down as images from these links

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...83453935_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...90132396_n.jpg
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Thanks!

Tags