Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
BeyondUno

Drives: Undecided
New here, possible camaro owner.

Would like to introduce myself, my name is Norman I am 23 years old, living in San Francisco. I had a full bolt on 2014 v6 mustang which for a v6 was very fast, but now looking to have my first v8 engine. Atm I am considering a srt8 challenger due to more space BUT for that amount of money I also started considering a 1ss le camaro with other options as well. This brought me here, having opinions from current camaro owners would be great. Everyone is always saying how bad the visibility and back seats are horrible, but how bad is it really? I don't have kids just me and my gf, the option to have usable back seats would be great tho. I love the retro look on the challenger but many have stated it just not as fast for a v8 due to the weight. I want something that will put you in your seat when you want it to. Definitely would appreciate some input!
BeyondUno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
IAMTHEDANGER
The great ruiner of plans

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
The visibility isn't that bad, you get used to it. It's especially easier if you get a backup camera. I'm 6'2 and the only way someone is going to sit behind me in the back seat is if they don't have legs, there's little to no room. You could probably fit a kid's car seat back there, though. I don't know anything about challengers so I can't give you any help there.
IAMTHEDANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Welcome!!!

Challengers have a useable backseat, we don't really. But the Camaro is lighter. Every 100 lbs = a tenth in the quater mile if you are into that sort of thing. Also, the 1LE is set up for autocross racing more than a regular SS is. They also have a 3.91 rear end gear and a few other little things. If you are not into competition, then you may be better suited to a regular SS. But it depends on what you want to do.

You mentioned you had full bolt ons with your mustang, you will probably do that to a Camaro or Challenger also. On the Camaro, if you tune the computer you may void your powertrain warranty. That is a risk we take if we do mods. For me, I just did a cold air intake and I want to do different exhaust later, but the wife is happy with the loudness factor today, so I am staying off of the couch and not pushing the issue.

The Camaro does have a blind spot. You have to adjust your side mirrors outward more to minimize it. Drive one and see what you think. It is livable in my opinion.

I traded a Charger (V6) in on my Camaro. The Charger and the Challenger are both based on the LX Platform Chassis. Very similar, just one is a two door. If you get a Challenger, get the STR8 to really get the umph it needs to move faster. But it is heavy and will not corner as well stock. But all things are changeable with $$.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Haven't been in a Challenger but I have yet to see a "coupe" with a usable backseat for adults. My Monte Carlo worked well for transporting my friends as teenagers but my G6 and my Camaro now have barely any leg room for adults.

Everyone who complains about the back window has never driven a Camaro for more than 10 minutes. You adapt, you realize what you can and can't see, and adjust your mirrors, you do blind spot checks, etc... I have driven my Camaro all over downtown Orlando and Miami in rush hour, parking, etc... not a single issue.

For the money, I don't think the Challenger is the best bang for your buck. I would look at a 1LE, more nimble than a Challenger that's for sure
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
TwoKaw

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels edition
Decisions, Decisions

I'm 5'9" and my head touches the roof in the back. So I'd say if you wanted to put adults back there, for say, an in-town trip and they are 5'8" and below it wouldn't be bad. That said, it's just not meant to be...

I traded a 2012 for 2013 and they made an improvement with the rear view mirror which helps in addition to the backup camera (with bigger media center).

There's going to be trade-offs no matter which one you choose
TwoKaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
bucolic

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS Crystal Red Tintc
Well I have owned and driven the following:
2006 Dodge Magnum RT (V8 Hemi Engine)

I traded it for a:

2011 Dodge Challenger V6

Traded that for a:

2013 Camaro 2LT

And I was just fortunate enough to be in a position to upgrade that to a 2014 Camaro 2SS just last night.

The Magnum was an awesome car. Handy, comfortable, and plenty of smooth V8 power. Ugly as hell but I really miss that car.

The 2011 Dodge Challenger was White with the Black Rally Stripe package and I never had more people want to talk about a car or give me thumbs up than I did with that one. The Challenger was very nice riding, sufficient power for a V6 but compared to the Camaro in the corners it felt like a wagon. Lot's of body roll. On road trips though very smooth riding. There is room in the backseats though for kids. Camaro is pretty tight back there and my drivers seat actually touches the back seat almost.

The 2013 Camaro 2 LT was a whole different experience. It seemed to be much more peppy than the Challenger and in the corners the car just seemed to want to stay flat. Now I never pushed it but I could stomp on it in 2nd going into a corner and feel the backend wanting to come around. Never got that with the Challenger. This car was Inferno Orange with the Black stripe and it draw far less attention believe it or not than the Challenger. Really nice car and fun to drive. BUT after driving that Dodge V8 and then going to 6 cylinders I was never quit happy. Gas milage on the Challenger V6 stayed right about 27 average. The V6 Camaro I could never get above 23 mpg.

Now....As I pulled out of the dealers lot last night in the Camaro 2SS the first thing I realized is the Camaro V6 is no slouch. That 323 horse V6 is close to the Magnum 340 horse. That low end torque is not there of course but the Camaro 2LT is a pretty capable car.

But...

The 2SS is a whole different animal. I only drove it 80 miles so far but I almost feel guilty driving it. I'm in the breakend period but even without getting on it I can tell this is the car of my dreams. The brakes are superb, the low rumble, the way it shimmies a little when it idles, and the smooth low end power is awesome. It's really a lot of car for less than the price of a loaded Sienna Mini Van! Out of the 4 cars this is by far the most impressive. I will be keeping this one a long time.

I never even test drove this car until the deal was done and I drove it off the lot. I didn't dare and I would recommend you NOT test drive the Camaro if you think it doesn't have enough room. You will be in love and everything else will pale in comparison. I imagine if I drove a ZL1 my SS would feel like the V6 LOL.

Don't worry about the rear visibility. There is no need to be looking behind you. Keep your eyes on the road ahead and not the cars disappearing in your rearview
bucolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
BeyondUno

Really do appreciate this feedback guys. I want the le due to the zl1 options they added like the hood, love the exhaust, duo mufflers. And although I won't be doing anything like tracks would be fun to know I could always go to the track if I wanted to. I'm really leaning towards the camaro because at the end of the day it can be me and my gf, and have a excuse not to give rides haha. I would be adding the reverse camera and all that so I'm not worried about visibility. Are the Recaro seats really worth the 2k? The car is estimated at about 37k with options I added through Chevrolet build and price with none Recaro seats. @bucolic these modern v6s are overlooked, with bolt ons and a proper tune they are fast! I had such a fun time driving the mustang, but at the end of the day it just isn't a v8.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
I was going for Challenger also because of the bigger space. But the design and interior of the Camaro drew me in.. Coming from a (06+ years) Magnum and Charger the Challenger literally had the same boring interior.

I do have the Camaro v6 but its quicker than the Challenger v6.. Im sure the SS will be quicker than the Challenger v8 also. Challenger/Charger/Magnum are all boat like, huge and great for road trips.. Camaro is more sportier and tighter to the ground feeling.. Will smoke those cars on a track for sure.

I just wanted the backseats to be an afterthought, an emergency backseat basically lol. My new born fit in the Camaro just fine in his car seat but we have a sedan for those situations.

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondUno View Post
Would like to introduce myself, my name is Norman I am 23 years old, living in San Francisco. I had a full bolt on 2014 v6 mustang which for a v6 was very fast, but now looking to have my first v8 engine. Atm I am considering a srt8 challenger due to more space BUT for that amount of money I also started considering a 1ss le camaro with other options as well. This brought me here, having opinions from current camaro owners would be great. Everyone is always saying how bad the visibility and back seats are horrible, but how bad is it really? I don't have kids just me and my gf, the option to have usable back seats would be great tho. I love the retro look on the challenger but many have stated it just not as fast for a v8 due to the weight. I want something that will put you in your seat when you want it to. Definitely would appreciate some input!
I'm sorry but in my opinion, Challenger is garbage. I tested a SRT8 2014, it was bulky and the interior was pathetic. I can't speak for the 2015's since I know theyre giving the interior a much needed overhaul.

I test drove both Camaro and Mustang. The F-body forums are more friendly than Mustang forums hahaha but other than that, the only thing the Mustang has over a Camaro is straight line performance, and the blind spots aren't as bad. Personally I like the SS, because it makes me feel like i'm in a tank without actually being in a tank (yes yes 4000 pounds, who cares the LS3 is beast). Test drive all of them and see for yourself what you like. My heart was always set with the Camaro but you never know.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
BeyondUno

^you're so right on the interior. Honestly seeing a whole bunch of videos and feedback given here. I'm going to be purchasing the 1ss le I build on the website, and heading to a dealership to get it done. I'm hoping it will be a smooth process overall.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondUno View Post
Really do appreciate this feedback guys. I want the le due to the zl1 options they added like the hood, love the exhaust, duo mufflers. And although I won't be doing anything like tracks would be fun to know I could always go to the track if I wanted to. I'm really leaning towards the camaro because at the end of the day it can be me and my gf, and have a excuse not to give rides haha. I would be adding the reverse camera and all that so I'm not worried about visibility. Are the Recaro seats really worth the 2k? The car is estimated at about 37k with options I added through Chevrolet build and price with none Recaro seats. @bucolic these modern v6s are overlooked, with bolt ons and a proper tune they are fast! I had such a fun time driving the mustang, but at the end of the day it just isn't a v8.
The V6s are great (I had a '12 1LT for 8 months) but, as you say... it just isn't a V8. If you want to feel like there's more left when you get on it, the V8 is the way to go - it has awesome power.

I sat in a 2014 w/ Recaro seats and didn't like them. I pretty broad in the shoulders and felt like I was being squeezed up top. I take some fairly long-range trips and wouldn't want that feeling for hours on end. If you are "average" sized, it may not be an issue for you. Take a test sit and imagine riding for 3+ hours like that... your call.

Rear seats: at 6'3", my seat is back pretty far and there is no way anyone other than a skinny little kid could sit behind me.

Visual: hers have said, you get used to it. It's all about the mirrors and I have had no issues since learning how to use them. Backup camera is a must if you prefer backing into parking spots, as I do. Quite easy once you get used to it.

I like the look of the Challenger, but not as much as the Camaro. Mustangs... don't care for them. What else is there? Get the Camaro, though you may not need to spend the extra for a 1LE if you're not tracking it. I have a 1SS/RS and am absolutely loving it!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
BeyondUno

I might just end up getting a ss if a great deal comes along. The main thing that attracts me about the le package is the visual appeal. But with patience you can always buy aftermarket parts to achieve performance and visual needs.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #13
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Awesome man! What's your budget? Cause 1LE is definitely super attractive, but unnecessary if you wont take advantage of it. Only reason I went with 1LE is because my dad bought a stingray through the dealership and the owner practically handed me the car at the price he pays. Too good to pass up.

At the same time, I know the feeling of wanting the best available. don't be afraid to take a loan for a 2014 2SS with 1LE and/or RS either way I strongly suggest 2SS over 1SS
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #14
Shiftgreen

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE AGM
I would just go 1le, I was about to get an SS a while back, but seeing as how much it would cost to get the 1le parts I decided against it . Granted you may not track or push it to it's limits, but going around exit ramps is a blast with these cars !

I think the value may hold up a little better as well, not sure on that one, but shoot from what I heard just the OEM rims are almost 1000 bucks each if you bought them for an SS. That alone is more then the 1le package.

You will not regret the 1le, only thing I constantly complain about are the flippin rocks or dirt on side roads, that drives me nuts. These tires stick out further then an SS and are mad sticky. Even with splash guards I still have a couple little salt dots on my gills :(
Shiftgreen is offline   Reply With Quote