Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
Bryaniskoo

Drives: 2010 RS
Front shaking.

Went to the dealer with a shaking between 40-68mph. I asked them to check the front end. They said there wasn't a problem and everything was tight.

They said go get new tires balanced and an alignment.
Got tires and alignment and still the same problem.

They said change your front rotors and brakes.
All brand new parts and still the same problem.

They said change the rear brakes and rotors.
New brakes and turned rotors.

Still the same problem. I'm getting pretty frustrated. Has anyone else came across this?

2010 RS
Bryaniskoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Bryaniskoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
When did this shaking start?

Did you change anything prior to this shaking occurring (tires, wheels, suspension mods)?

Did you hit or run over anything before it started?

If you haven't recently purchased new tires, how many miles are on the tires you have?
Suspension, tires, wheels, brakes all stock up until trying to fix this problem.

I don't know if I hit anything, this was going on for a while before I tried to fix it. There is a massive road construction project going on in my area so I'm constantly hitting bumps. Can't say for sure if that is the problem.

I bought new tires in hopes it would fix the problem. These tires have less than 100 miles on them. The stock tires I had before had about 40k on them.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
could it be a wheel bearing gone bad?
Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Bryaniskoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
could it be a wheel bearing gone bad?
Is there a way to test it?
Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryaniskoo View Post
Is there a way to test it?
Jack up the car and see if any of the wheels have movement up and down and/or side to side. You would think it would have been caught during the alignment process if this becomes the issue.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Bryaniskoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Jack up the car and see if any of the wheels have movement up and down and/or side to side. You would think it would have been caught during the alignment process if this becomes the issue.
The alignment guy said it was the rotors. Clearly not.

The only movement up and down is in the suspension. Side to side is the steering.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Bryaniskoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
Typically what you're describing (steering wheel shaking/shimming at a particular speed) is a wheel balance issue.

A couple more questions: What tires are on the car now? Is the car driven daily, or does it sit for periods of time?

Sometimes my car will sit for a few days to a week, and with softer tires, they will sometimes slightly deform (quasi flat-spot if you will) while sitting in one spot which causes a vibration as the tire becomes slightly out-of-round. Eventually the vibration goes away as you drive the car and the tires reassume their shape.

Since this vibration continues with brand new tires that you've already re-balanced, I'd go through and make sure ALL suspension components are tight and do a FULL visual inspection of all bushings and joints.

I'd also look at the shocks. Are any of them leaking? At 40K miles, they're getting toward the end of their life anyway…

Does the place you purchased the tires from have the capability to road force balance them? If so, ask them to road force balance them.

You might also try having them balanced somewhere else on the off chance the balancing equipment at the tire shop is out of calibration…

Good luck! Keep us posted if you resolve the issue...

I had the stock Pirelli PZeros on there then because of this problem I switched to Hankook Ventus and still shaking even after rebalance.

I drive it nearly every day.

The dealer said the suspension was fine. I don't really know what I'm looking at.

I'll take it to a couple other places and see what they say.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
Check your driveshaft coupler bushing.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
See if you can find another local Camaro to swap wheels with you and see if the problem follows the wheels.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Welcome to the blame game. I had same issue and was told by stealership that they can not replicate it and it's probably due to my brand new rims and tires, funny thing was I bought new rims and tires to solve the same problem I had with stock rims and tires. Also wanted a square setup to rotate tires. So after this fiasco I decided to get coilovers and new Sways and end links. I got it all installed and aligned and so far no more shake.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #11
krusher

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM
+1 on the road force balancing. Had a horrid shake after two people tried to balance it. Had to stay below 40 mph. Took it to dealership with a road force balancer and was smooth sailing
krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
Bryaniskoo

7 shops later I landed myself at a Midas repair shop. Gave them $20 to inspect my suspension. They said all the suspension is like new and that isn't the problem.

They said that even though my tires had been balanced their machine is saying that they are unbalanced.

They rebalanced them and it was like there was never a problem.

Apparently tire balancer calibration is unheard of in my area.

Like 130R explained, the guy at Midas confirmed some shops never even calibrate their machines and send people off with unbalanced wheels.

Thanks for the support and suggestions.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
130R

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryaniskoo View Post
7 shops later I landed myself at a Midas repair shop. Gave them $20 to inspect my suspension. They said all the suspension is like new and that isn't the problem.

They said that even though my tires had been balanced their machine is saying that they are unbalanced.

They rebalanced them and it was like there was never a problem.

Apparently tire balancer calibration is unheard of in my area.

Like 130R explained, the guy at Midas confirmed some shops never even calibrate their machines and send people off with unbalanced wheels.

Thanks for the support and suggestions.

Glad you got it worked out!
130R is offline   Reply With Quote