Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
Hub and bearing issue

Haven't had much luck on the dodge forums and I hope this is an appropriate thread for this part of the forum. I've recently replaced a worn out hub and bearing in the rear on my dodge dart. I installed the new one but there's always a catch when I install things myself (lol). There are two grooves in the spindle that I can feel with my fingernail. I'm assuming that the old bearings caused the race to create two groves around the spindle. The hub went on up with ease until it reached the two grooves. I bolted the retaining nut in order to push the hub into place and it worked, however, the hub produces a loud droning noise when I'm driving. It sounds worse than when the old hub and bearing was on the car. Would the grooves cause the hub to produce a noise or is the hub and bearing to blame? I would hate to buy a new spindle. Btw: the hub is from a company called Detroit Axle
SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #2
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSallday View Post
Haven't had much luck on the dodge forums and I hope this is an appropriate thread for this part of the forum. I've recently replaced a worn out hub and bearing in the rear on my dodge dart. I installed the new one but there's always a catch when I install things myself (lol). There are two grooves in the spindle that I can feel with my fingernail. I'm assuming that the old bearings caused the race to create two groves around the spindle. The hub went on up with ease until it reached the two grooves. I bolted the retaining nut in order to push the hub into place and it worked, however, the hub produces a loud droning noise when I'm driving. It sounds worse than when the old hub and bearing was on the car. Would the grooves cause the hub to produce a noise or is the hub and bearing to blame? I would hate to buy a new spindle. Btw: the hub is from a company called Detroit Axle
Sounds like bearing drone. Did you mess the bearings up by pulling it on like that?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
Sounds like bearing drone. Did you mess the bearings up by pulling it on like that?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I don't believe so but I'm not 100% sure. I greased the bearings but it didn't help that much
SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote