Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #29
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
I said it before, there should have been a "response" in '11 to the relatively minor issues with the camaro--Trak Pak, Performance exhaust, fix the passenger seat, a performance gear option. GM needs to keep it fresh every year--Ford seems to be able to do this, why not GM!!
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #30
69Firebird

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS LS3
I've looked around a bit but could not find it.
Do we know how many 2010 Camaro's were built?
If so do we have a break down of trim levels, colors and options?

Thanks!

Delivered 8/4/09: Black on Black 2SS/RS, LS3, CGM Stripes, Polished Upgrade

K&N Typhoon Intake, Stainless Works 3" Catback w/ S-Tube Turbo Mufflers
69Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #31
Enator

Drives: 2011 SHELBY GT500 & Volvo S80
Almost 128,000
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90429
Enator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #32
Sc0rPs

Drives: 2010 2LT / RS - 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosin View Post
I do not regret my decision to buy a V8 camaro. Although it was something to think about regarding the 5.0 poopstang being faster and getting better MPG. I put premium in my 2SS and I wonder if the mustang requires premium?

One downfall about owning a Camaro is having to carry 2x4 in trunk to fend off ladies!
You actually thought the 2010 SS was going to be the fastest ever when you bought it? Buying like that it always going to disappoint, cars are finally being made faster & better.

Pretty sure the V8 Mustang requires premium.
Sc0rPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #33
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
No idea why so many people care how many cars are sold. Been driving this car around for a year and half now...just another car on the road at this point now...
Blasphemy! Never "just" another car!

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #34
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
I am old so my opinion doesn't count. You have to go to the younger generation and ask them what cars they like and why. What appeals. So I go to my daughters and their friends and poll them... Mustang? Camaro? Charger? They like them all but for different reasons. The one thing I have consistently heard about the Stang "I don't like the way they changed the tail lights!" Never a comparison about of power! Ask them about the Camaro... "that is a cool car it just looks fast." Charger... "It looks like the old ones". Certainly not scientific but these were common comments from about a dozen different late teens/early twenties kids that I asked.

Candidly I don't think the sales has a darn thing to do with the preference at this point. I think we are in a double dip recession that the Feds didnt want to admit to right up to the election. Now the Feds have stated they are going to pump $600 billion into the economy by way of the banks in order to free up money for loans!

Let GM throw some attractive deals out on the 2011 Camaros now... just before Christmas time, and combine that with more cash flow at the banks, throw in the GM IPO stock sales and you will see a tick up in Camaro and all GM sales. No brainer there. SUPPLY AND DEMAND!!!

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #35
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
What's initeresting is that neither the Mustang nor the Camaro are doing particularly well sales wise. 5000 a month is pitiful for both and tells me that this is a price point issue that could be solved with incentives or a lower MSRP.
Another point is that GM has taken the markup out of their cars for the dealer so if the buyer gets $1500 off he doesn't feel like he got a good deal, even though that's all there is to give.
Thirdly is that the Camaro's interior is just pretty awful. They could have done so much better with the steering wheel, soft touch plastics and interior design that was more grown up and less concept car.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:43 AM   #36
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
According to GMs investor site http://www.gm.com/corporate/investor...on/sales_prod/ GM produced 129,405 Camaros through the entire MY10 (April end of month '09 to June 7th 2010). Quick math using the chart shows only 100,306 Camaros were sold as of 3 June 2010 leaving 29k units were unsold when MY11 started. Oshawa operates at around 10k units produced a month (440-450 per day). Cutting production for a few months would help to remedy the over produced Camaro.

As far as incentives go, you will never see the MSRP drop once it is established by the manufacture. Once profits begin to turn, manufactures offer "cash back" instead of altering the original MSRP. It's a play of words, consumers would be put off if the sticker suddenly dropped $2000 vs. a Cash back bonus. Incentives say that the manufacture sold enough units to cover the cost of research & development, initial cost of production/personnel retrains and plant and factory prep is all paid in full and we (Ford) are making a profit.

I received a $2000 rebate on my 2011 GT in 8 March before the vehicles details were made public... incentives are just MSRP adjustments masked as bonuses. 0% financing on the otherhand is a tool used to clear remaining stock at the end of the model year.

Sales are everything and only second place to profit. GM needs to clean house, limit production temporarily, shorten MY11 and introduce MY12 changes late so nobody holds out. Left over stock will kill them in the long run, Ford sold the 76k Mustangs they produced and made profit. GM will be moving 2010 Camaros until April 2011 at this rate.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:45 AM   #37
J4R3D

Drives: '11 5.0 Order Canceled...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rPs View Post
You actually thought the 2010 SS was going to be the fastest ever when you bought it? Buying like that it always going to disappoint, cars are finally being made faster & better.

Pretty sure the V8 Mustang requires premium.
runs on 87
Old 11-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #38
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
As far as incentives go, you will never see the MSRP drop once it is established by the manufacture.
Are you talking spontaneously, or from MY to MY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Sales are everything and only second place to profit. GM needs to clean house, limit production temporarily, shorten MY11 and introduce MY12 changes late so nobody holds out. Left over stock will kill them in the long run, Ford sold the 76k Mustangs they produced and made profit. GM will be moving 2010 Camaros until April 2011 at this rate.
The concept of dealer inventory is not new, and the company seems to be making positive steps on that topic.

Also while it's nice on paper to have zero cars left at the end of a model year...it's not practical. You need some overlap to suit the walk-in buyers. 2010 was an extended model year, so it's not surprising to see they've got some left over. Yet they are still selling in spades...at a steady pace, without any sort of incentives. Plus, the feature sets of the '10 and '11 MY are almost the same...blending the cars to consumers. So long as they continue to sell a good healthy amount of these cars by the time the '12s are released...they'll be fine. Moreso if they choose to offer MY-end incentives on '11s and '10s.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #39
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Are you talking spontaneously, or from MY to MY?

The concept of dealer inventory is not new, and the company seems to be making positive steps on that topic.

Also while it's nice on paper to have zero cars left at the end of a model year...it's not practical. You need some overlap to suit the walk-in buyers. 2010 was an extended model year, so it's not surprising to see they've got some left over. Yet they are still selling in spades...at a steady pace, without any sort of incentives. Plus, the feature sets of the '10 and '11 MY are almost the same...blending the cars to consumers. So long as they continue to sell a good healthy amount of these cars by the time the '12s are released...they'll be fine. Moreso if they choose to offer MY-end incentives on '11s and '10s.
Sorry for the late reply... The original MSRP is determined when the model is introduced ('04 for the Mustang, '09 for the Camaro). The first two production years of a new model is critical. (I will use the MY05 & MY06 Mustang as an example, don't hate me, its just a good example) Research & Developement is expensive, to say that Ford made a "brand new" Mustang would be a bare faced lie. Ford overlaps drivetrains and redesigns to midigate R&D cost. Think back, Ford never introduced a ground up new Mustang. The '05-'09 bodied 4.6 paid for itself in 05-06 selling 160k and 150k units in those years (07 was strong at 133k). This is when Ford introduced the $1500 cash back bonus, trying to pawn off a tired body style and the tired 4.6, not with a MSRP adjustment but a cash back bonus.

Even though improvements from MY to MY increase the original MSRP, (which improvements from the early 197s were non existent) cash back bonuses are given not to move MY stock, but to move a tired model after profits are being made. Ford was in the safe zone (profit), so cash back bonuses are masked as incentives and not a deliberate, public MSRP adjustment.

Now, those early profits are funneled onto the next drivetrain in '07-'08 and offset the cost of R&D as a whole. 2010 redesign is released and at the intorduction of the redesign in April 09, day 1 buyers are offered a $2000 cash back bonus masked as an incentive when it is actually an MSRP adjustment. Same goes for the 2011, the global block 5.0 will be paid for within the first year. I received my $2000 cash back bonus 2 months before the car was released...

In my opinion, GM won't give a cash back bonus until the 2012 model year. Even though they are in a different situation then Ford was with the '05 Mustang (Profits made from previous years paid to R&D for the '05) GM is doing the right thing.

As I stated before, there were almost 30k unsold 2010 Camaros as of 3 June, since the MY10 was a long MY anyway, MY11 should be cut to 8-10 months, hold out on the MY12 details till the last minute, limit MY11 to 5000-6000k production a month and offer NO cash back until they can and clean up stock in March with 0% APRs....

gotta hit send before my iPhone dies..
Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #40
thePill
Account Suspended

As the stock left on dealer lots goes, profit outweighs practical, calculate demand based on yearly trends, produce units to meet demand only, if demand is low concentrate on quality to avoid warranty vouchers, save you profits and push an updated product with those profits...

Don't over produce your loaves of bread, nobody wants to buy 2010 bread in 2011... regardless of the suggested retail price adjustments, cash back bonuses, 2 for 1s or 0% financing...
Old 11-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #41
trekmanone

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
Wow! Pontiac was killed off selling 474,000 units in 2009, down from ~850,000 units a year 10 years ago. I hope Camaro and Chevrolet get their #'s up...
trekmanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #42
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Looks like the mustang is back to outselling the camaro. Not surprising, when they get a seller they let it get old and stagnent unlike the mustang which is always changing and evolving.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote