Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
RSKUSTOMZ
RSKUSTOMZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro T-top RS
SS rear springs.

Just curious if anyone knows if the SS rear springs are the same as RS rear springs, or are they a stiffer spring? Reason I ask is getting ready to add some weight to the rear of the car but my stance right now, before the weight, is perfect. So if the SS springs are stiffer then I'll be changing the rears over .

Thanks in advance
RSKUSTOMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
RS is an appearance package only. The RS and SS springs are the same. Might want to consider a set of coil overs. I believe Pedders offers a stiffer spring for their rear coil overs for just the reason you mention.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKUSTOMZ View Post
Just curious if anyone knows if the SS rear springs are the same as RS rear springs, or are they a stiffer spring? Reason I ask is getting ready to add some weight to the rear of the car but my stance right now, before the weight, is perfect. So if the SS springs are stiffer then I'll be changing the rears over .

Thanks in advance
If your car is a V6, the SS springs are about 1.25 inches shorter but offer a higher spring rate. End result was my car's backend sitting down about 3/4" unladen, but the spring is stiffer and may result in less squat under load.

I have to ask why you're adding weight?
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
RS is an appearance package only. The RS and SS springs are the same. Might want to consider a set of coil overs. I believe Pedders offers a stiffer spring for their rear coil overs for just the reason you mention.

YES if it's a SS RS.. But..

RS can be a V6 in that case its a FE2 suspension. A SS has a FE3 suspension. FE3 springs are about 1/2 inch lower and stiffer. I did the swap from FE2 to FE3 and love it. My car is at SS height now.. Or 1/2 inch lower then it was as a V6 RS.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
True that Mach. I didn't look at what he drives and assumed he has an SS.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
RS really just means you have red emblems, HID headlights, a different headlight switch, possibly different wheels, and slightly different tailights...has absolutely zero to do with the performance of the vehicle.

I'm pretty sure you meant V8 springs and V6 springs...which has already been answered. That said though...I don't know if the LS and LT version of the V6 have the same springs or not.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
RSKUSTOMZ
RSKUSTOMZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro T-top RS
Yes RS as in V6 and looking to stiffen up the rear because we are getting ready to do a very elaborate audio system in the trunk.
RSKUSTOMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Be careful of un balancing your car and getting oversteer even with the extra wieght. And you car will look funny as it will be lower in the back now compared to the front.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
The coil overs would be the best if they are in the budget.We have installed the Pedders xa's on some police cars that have a heavy load in the trunk and the perform very well.We still have them on sale until mid night new years day.PM me for pricing if interested.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote