Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
stet

Drives: Victory Red 2SS/RS
Using an Ipod and playing songs from albums.

I just picked up my 2SS today and put a few albums worth of songs on a USB memory stick. I've noticed that if you pick album (or artist and then album) the songs are listed in alphabetical order and not the order they are on the album. If I use folder view then they are displayed and played in their proper order, but after I shut the car off and then back on, it seems to forget that I was in folder view and just starts playing all the songs on the memory stick in whatever order it seems to choose. Now I know that this system works best with used with an Ipod. My question is that if I purchase an Ipod and copy some albums to it, will it play them in the correct order or will it play them in alphabetical order? Also, will the system remember that I had selected artist and/or album after powering off when using an Ipod?
stet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
The USB should be listed in album order, not alphabetic. It might be an issue with your metadata for the songs. Are you sure that the track number field is populated in the meta data tags?

About turning the car off and then on, the car only remembers the current song you were on and then moves on to alphabetic order from there. Yeah I know that's really weird but apparently that's all they could do with the memory limitations they had.

For iPod, the iPod really handles all of the heavy lifting and the Camaro basically acts as a remote control, so songs show up exactly how they are shown on the iPod menu and the iPod remembers what album or artist or whatever it was playing and will continue that when you start the car back up again.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
LS1Proud

Drives: 2002 35th Anniversary LS1 Z28
The big hang up with the memory stick and why you need to reset it back to where you had it has to do with what Codeman71 said. Also it does that to check and see if you unplugged the drive and modified the songs on it each time the car is started so it would see all your songs instead of just the original set you put on it.
LS1Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
stet

Drives: Victory Red 2SS/RS
Well I went out today and purchased a 120 gig Ipod Classic and spent a good part of the afternoon and evening uploading 13000+ songs to it. Unfortunately I'm not suffering from the issue where the car doesn't recognize the Ipod every time you start it and I have to really mess with it to get it to work :(

It does seem to always recognize the memory stick.
stet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
LS1Proud

Drives: 2002 35th Anniversary LS1 Z28
With the usb cable provided with the iPod or your car? Or does that new classic one have bluetooth capabilities and you are using that to connect with?
LS1Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stet View Post
Well I went out today and purchased a 120 gig Ipod Classic and spent a good part of the afternoon and evening uploading 13000+ songs to it. Unfortunately I'm not suffering from the issue where the car doesn't recognize the Ipod every time you start it and I have to really mess with it to get it to work :(

It does seem to always recognize the memory stick.
I'm really sorry that you're having that iPod issue. Rest assured that your iPod investment will not go to waste and the software update coming for the PDIM will fix your issue. The dealers should be able to find the update for your car within the next couple weeks.

In the mean time, you could maybe help the issue by unplugging your iPod before you turn your car off and then plugging it back in after you start your car up. I don't know for sure if that helps, but it might.

Again, I'm sorry you have to go through this, but hopefully it's very temporary!

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
camaro_in_EPT

Drives: 2010 1LT Cyber Gray
I just received my camaro 2 days ago. First of all I am EXTREMELY happy with it. It's a great car. However, I'm also experiencing the iPod touch 2Gissue. I just recently updated the iPod software to 3.1.2 but I don't think that is the problem. I have tried it with several of my friends' iPods and still get this prompt to disconnect the iPod if I try to search through the artists. I also notice that a lot of the time when I'm searching through my playlists, the titles are wrong and sometimes display names of songs instead of playlist names. They are random names and I can't figure out why this is. Has there been any workarounds or fixes?

Thank you!
Old 10-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
codeman71
GM Employee

Congratulations on your Camaro purchase, and than you so much for the compliments on the car. That means a lot to us! One thing that might help us diagnose would be to check the version number of your PDIM. When you have your iPod connected and you're at the main iPod screen (with the picture that's my avatar) press and hold the Menu button down. The SW version should say CE since you just got your car, but if for some reason it's CC, then it probably needs to be updated.

I've seen some people noting that they see this operation with their iPhones, but it seems to be sporadic because some people it's fine and others have the problem. So not sure what might be causing it. You could try restoring the iPod, which would completely erase what's on it and put all your music back on. Maybe that would clear up any issues.

Also, could you describe in a little more detail what exactly the issues are that you are having? I'd like to forward whatever I can to our software team to see if they are aware of this or if they have any recommendations.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
sonicdeathmonkey

Drives: 2010 2LT Black/Black/Grey Stripes
Having same issue, any developments?

Having the issue where the playlist and album names are seemingly random song names instead of the actual playlist or album names. This is all with a fully updated iPhone.
sonicdeathmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
steveintulsa

Drives: 2010 rs/ss
Ipod connectivity is "buggy"

I have Ipod Touch connected directly through USB port. Sometimes it locks up and doesn't recognize (any) device, just defaults to CD or worse yet Radio. How can I reboot or clear the USB input buffer?
steveintulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveintulsa View Post
I have Ipod Touch connected directly through USB port. Sometimes it locks up and doesn't recognize (any) device, just defaults to CD or worse yet Radio. How can I reboot or clear the USB input buffer?
What software version do you have (hold down the menu button while in USB mode)? You may want to get it updated (CE is the current version). The only way to "reboot" the PDIM is to shut off the car/remove the key and open the driver's door.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:36 AM   #12
drhoades

Drives: 2010 2SS
I am testing (likely buying a 2SS today and I plugged my ipod in and I am having the random album/song title weirdness as well. I checked and its running version CE. Is there anything newer out there or anything I can do?
drhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:03 AM   #13
drhoades

Drives: 2010 2SS
FYI, I tested an ipod classic today and its menus worked just fine.
drhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:30 AM   #14
FRIDAY1313
I AM JASON #1

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS/RS A6
Send a message via Yahoo to FRIDAY1313
I am running a Ipod Nano 16gb 5th Generation and have no problems.
FRIDAY1313 is offline   Reply With Quote