Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Saleen to get more involved with the new Camaro?

Reading the article below from WardsAuto.com - Saleen tuned Chevrolet Camaros may not be that far off. Since they had quite a bit to do with the 2009 Camaro in the upcoming Transformers Movie that may be a taste of things to come.

See the whole story here:
http://5thgencamaro.blogspot.com/200...-with-new.html
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
PonyTech

Drives: waiting on 5th gen Camaro
cool thats what the Hot Rod article said too - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hp?t=26&page=3
PonyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyTech View Post
cool thats what the Hot Rod article said too - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hp?t=26&page=3
Yea but I bet there's some hardcore Camaro fans that cringe at the name saleen since it's associated with Mustangs
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
A Saleen Camaro !? with 485hp and 600+hp! + top Camaro engine revealed

Check this out!!! Plus he talks about the new V-8 they are gonna use!!! Yeah, I am definitely excited now (As if I wasn't already!)

I was doing some digging around and came across this.... I didn't see it already posted so i assumed it was news!

Here is the actual link: http://www.roadandtrack.com/idealbb/...?topicID=13027

Car Crazy: Are you going to bump up the horsepower on your Saleen Mustang cars when Ford adds horsepower in 2009?
Steve Saleen: Yes we are, I just talked to Alan Mulally (Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive) about the 2009 facelift year and what kind of added power the GT and Cobra will get.
CC: What kind of added power did he talk about for the 09 model year?
Saleen: Nothing extreme, it's only a facelift year, but enough to make my current engine upgrades obsolete. They're aiming for 350 horsepower out of the V8 in the GT, and they're only adding about ten or fifteen horsepower to the GT500.
CC: Can you give us an idea of what you'll do to for your Saleen models?
Saleen: We don't know yet exactly, but we've had many meetings on what we want. We're aiming to get around 385 horsepower out of the S281 3 Valve with around 390 lb-ft of torque. The S281 Supercharged model will get 500 horses even with around 460 lb-ft of torque, and expect about a fifteen horsepower increase on the (S281) Extreme Mustang over the 2007 model (that's 565 horsepower and 535 lb-ft of torque).
CC: That's a big power increase on all cars, are the prices going to change?
Saleen: Not counting inflation, the prices should stay the same.

<--- Important Part Starts here -->

CC: Are the rumors of you teaming up with GM true or false?
Saleen: My team just worked with GM last month on the Transformers movie. We had such a good relationship with them that we are infact going to team up with them on future projects?
CC: What future projects?
Saleen: Well the Camaro project is one of them, I've watched from a distance while they've been putting the production model together. I think it would be foolish on our part if we didn't get a part of that action (Steve laughs).
CC: So are you going to do your own versions of the new Camaro?
Saleen: It's not legally official right now, but that's what we're hoping for.
CC: What kind of upgrades will you make, have you seen the engine GM is using in the Camaro?
Saleen: I hope I don't get in trouble with GM for saying this, but they're using a 6.2 liter 450 horsepower engine for the premium V8 in the 2009 Camaro and the base Corvette. The base V8 will probably be a detuned version of the same 6.2. So we'll just upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 to Saleen level specifications. We're going to upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 if we're given the legal chance by GM. Our base model should have around 485 horsepower, and expect our Extreme Supercharged Camaro to have over 600 horsepower.

Last edited by Casull; 10-23-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Casull, you are da BOMB! Way to go finding the new info! That's why I love this site!

You have to agree that if this came from Saleen, this is going to be good info. I have to say I am quite pleased that there will be 450 horses in the top model. Anything more, and I see the price going through the roof...or at least if a different engine were to be used. I can imagine prices will be along the same lines as the Mustang. So, the mid model would have to be anywhere between 350-400 hp. That'll work for me. If it's down graded (the 6.2 ltr), it shouldn't be all that difficult to bump back up to the 450hp.

Now, if Saleen builds w/ GM, which will be really freakin weird...I can't wait to see what he has in store for body mods. That'll be something to see, for sure! Wow...I'm happy to hear the info...

GOOD POST AND GOOD FIND!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
$anani

Drives: chevy s10
yeah some good info. that would be the SS model. now it redirects me to the home page . u think they took it out?

Last edited by $anani; 10-20-2006 at 03:00 PM.
$anani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #7
Casull

450 HP... geez! I remember when they released the GTO with 350 stock HP, thinking to myslef... OMG that is awesome. Then the LS2 with 400 HP came and I was floored! I am now very glad i didn't go out and get one of those GTO... 450 HP is NUTS stock!

Throw a cam in there, CAI, new exhaust and headers, and a custom tune..... be pushing 500 HP!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by $anani View Post
yeah some good info. that would be the SS model. now it redirects me to the home page . u think they took it out?
V6, SS, and Z28...one of our guys here says he has it on very reliable info that this is how it will be. Just FYI and not trying to change the subject. And...I couldn't get that page either? Could you try again? I'm curious too! Maybe GM said "What the..???"
Old 10-20-2006, 03:05 PM   #9
Casull

http://www.roadandtrack.com/idealbb/...?topicID=13027

Here it is again.... i don't know what happened when i pasted it the first time
Old 10-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
$anani

it's working now.lol
Old 10-20-2006, 03:11 PM   #11
$anani

v6 first then the SS and then the Z28?
Old 10-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by $anani View Post
v6 first then the SS and then the Z28?
Ummm.... i don't really care which version carries which badge... 450HP That is all that matters....

By the way... anyone catch that bit about Saleens plans for a 600HP version
Old 10-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I saw that too. It's gotta be an added supercharger to make it crank out that much hp.

Personally, I know the SS to be the top dog. And, a great majority of Fbody enthusiasts know it to be the same. Then, the general public at one point or another has also been told that the SS is top dog. Now GM comes back and switches it? That's going to confuse a lot of people. I'd like to see it stay the same. The top model wears the SS badge...because it is the Super Sport.

That is great to hear 450 hp. I wish we could hear entry level when that number was said. I'm happy either way.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #14
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
The Z28 as the “Top Dawg” is just speculation from the bunch at Z28CAMARO.com. If you read the thread posted there even the fbodfather denounces the rumors that the Z is going to be the “Top Dawg”…

I don’t know if I buy into Mr. Saleen’s info. There is no doubt in my mind that GM is going to use a 6.2 LSx and have 400+ HP but would GM tell Mr. Saleen to keep his trap shut about production numbers or risk loosing potential business deals between the two. On the other hand, like I stated before, when I worked for one of the “Big Three” we would leak false information out about future products so the competition would try to match it. Then when the production vehicle was released the performance numbers would be much higher blowing the competition away…

Anyway still a good find.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote