Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #71
casvg5
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
If I was buying a vette over the ZL1 it would definitely cost a lot more than 60K unless it was used. I'll be taking my car to the same guy who did yours, I'll be spending WAY less on mods to get to 700 and will still have the beefed up suspension and rear end to handle the track days.

We'll have to give them a run when I'm done and compare notes.

Used Z06 >> new ZL-1, but im a sucker for a vette. I dont think Id fit in one. lol.

Please dont make me run meth or race gas, larger pully and head studs and tune to 900+ mike. lol.

I still have less in my car than yours costed new. But you get to drive around the most prestigeous camaro. I get it. Im a build it yourself kinda guy. And again...the looks on the faces of the guys in the supercars....priceless.
casvg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #72
casvg5
Account Suspended

Lets just throw it all out on the line. I have a tad over $43K in my car at this point. For another $5K max, I can have a rear end capable of holding 1000hp. Power is almost limitless in the LSX I have, far more capable than the LSA in a ZL1. Mt point is ONLY, for me, I like to personally build, choose parts, modify and change my vehicle. I LOVE seeing other camaros, other SS's, and even other cars, and them thinking im stock. I get a kick out of it. So for me the choice was clear. That ZL1 sure is a sexy beast, but my baby is #1 in my mind. For now.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #73
casvg5
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post

While it's really unfair to compare an all-motor stock Boss 302 vs. the factory aspirated ZL1 (and even the GT500, esp. the pre-13 variants) the Boss should still get due for its ability to stay within a stone's throw with the ZL1, performance wise. I have a Boss and it's like night & day when I compare my SS to it. Personally I'd still take the ZL1 but the Boss is still a great overachiever for what it is/has. Durability on the Boss 302's engine is also topnotch (forged internals, etc.). BTW I got my brand new '12 Boss for just a tad over 40K... that's a fair bang for the buck IMO.

The boss isnt going to even be in the same ballpark performance wise as a ZL1.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #74
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by casvg5 View Post
Used Z06 >> new ZL-1, but im a sucker for a vette. I dont think Id fit in one. lol.

Please dont make me run meth or race gas, larger pully and head studs and tune to 900+ mike. lol.

I still have less in my car than yours costed new. But you get to drive around the most prestigeous camaro. I get it. Im a build it yourself kinda guy. And again...the looks on the faces of the guys in the supercars....priceless.
Totally agree on the vette... I wouldn't have one unless it was a Z06 but comfort in the Camaro is way better.

...and damn you're right on the 900+ too. My block can't handle that.

I had two builds before this one. My last SS was faster than this one but to go further would have mean't a ton of other upgrades (what you're up against now) Hence my reason for the ZL1 was simply the beefed up platform. 3 grand in engine mods without changing a thing in the driveline and I've got a mildly modded car that can handle anything I throw at it.

Quote:
Lets just throw it all out on the line. I have a tad over $43K in my car at this point. For another $5K max, I can have a rear end capable of holding 1000hp. Power is almost limitless in the LSX I have, far more capable than the LSA in a ZL1. Mt point is ONLY, for me, I like to personally build, choose parts, modify and change my vehicle. I LOVE seeing other camaros, other SS's, and even other cars, and them thinking im stock. I get a kick out of it. So for me the choice was clear. That ZL1 sure is a sexy beast, but my baby is #1 in my mind. For now.
And I can do the exact same thing you did with your SS. Take it to Andy and swap to LSX. Don't need the rear end, don't need driveshaft, don't need beefed up tranny, and have MR to go with it.

But I would have bought the Z06 first...
Old 10-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #75
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Oh please... it's not a totally opposite polar difference (stock vs stock) from a performance/numbers perspective so don't read or interpret it outside the context I stated. I agree the ZL1 will be ahead of the Boss but to say it's not in the same ballpark performance wise? 0-60 ~ 4 flat - low 4s and then the 1/4 ~ low-mid 12s is pretty darn overachieving for a non-aspirated 5.0. Big part of that is due to the fact that the Boss is ~400 lbs less porkier. Those crazy numbers are almost at par with the Z06, so how can you not give even some due respect when compared to a ZL1. I still like the ZL1 over my Boss but I wouldn't blatantly say it's not in the same ballpark. IMO doing so would be ignorant... and I'm a fan.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #76
SabotAndHeat

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Based on the first runs the ZL1 did at Nurburgring...it was deemed the fastest car on the planet under $75,000. That's above some Lambo's, Porsches, Corvettes etc.

That's a pretty clear statement...it's highly affordable based on it's performance level.

Let's put this into more perspective. It's an modern American muscle car competing for times against Euro Supercars.

Last edited by SabotAndHeat; 10-24-2012 at 03:30 PM.
SabotAndHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #77
casvg5
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
Oh please... it's not a totally opposite polar difference (stock vs stock) from a performance/numbers perspective so don't read or interpret it outside the context I stated. I agree the ZL1 will be ahead of the Boss but to say it's not in the same ballpark performance wise? 0-60 ~ 4 flat - low 4s and then the 1/4 ~ low-mid 12s is pretty darn overachieving for a non-aspirated 5.0. Big part of that is due to the fact that the Boss is ~400 lbs less porkier. Those crazy numbers are almost at par with the Z06, so how can you not give even some due respect when compared to a ZL1. I still like the ZL1 over my Boss but I wouldn't blatantly say it's not in the same ballpark. IMO doing so would be ignorant... and I'm a fan.

Just looked up the specs. I retract my previous statement. When did the boss get balls?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #78
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Just looked up the specs. I retract my previous statement. When did the boss get balls?
Same time the Shelby did... Had a black one w/ paper tags show up last week at The Woodlands meet... super nice ride...
Old 10-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #79
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:

Yes, it actually is. It's edged out, but it is very, very close.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #80
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Quote:
Same time the Shelby did... Had a black one w/ paper tags show up last week at The Woodlands meet... super nice ride...
And just like that, all was explained. Yep, I'm talking to a wall.

The Woodlands is a freaking joke, and the "car" meets there aren't meets at all...just a bunch of non-gearheads showing up to flaunt cars they don't even know the whole story on. And of course, the most expensive car just must totally be the coolest.

The Woodlands....freaking fail.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #81
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowSStopper View Post
And just like that, all was explained. Yep, I'm talking to a wall.
Really... becuse I liked the Mustang lineup I saw at the woodlands..
Old 10-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #82
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Quote:
Really... becuse I liked the Mustang lineup I saw at the woodlands..
Yes. Really.

And BTW, am I supposed to care? I reworded a post...call the damn cops.

Sweet Lord, some people are hopeless.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #83
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowSStopper View Post
Yes. Really.
Strange cookie... I'm sorry I said I liked a Mustang... I forgot this was a Camaro forum
Old 10-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #84
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Quote:
Strange cookie... I'm sorry I said I liked a Mustang... I forgot this was a Camaro forum
I won't hold it against you.