Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Parts to replace after air bags deploy

So my side curtain air bags popped while running on the track. I got a quote from the dealer and trying to reduce the cost by purchasing the parts myself. I didn't hit anything so there was no damage to the car.

If anyone has insight as to what needs to be replaced I would appreciate the help. So far I have made a list of what I think needs to be replaced. I have a 2011 SS coupe.

Black headliner 22768528 1 ea.
Side curtain air bags 22781126 2 ea.
D Seat belt w/ pretensioner 19257787 1 ea.
P Seat belt w/ pretensioner 19257789 1 ea.
Sensor side impact 13502341 2 ea.

The airbag SDM can be reset to clear the codes so the parts can be reinstalled. So that doesn't need replacing. I'm not 100% sure the airbag side impact sensors need to be replaced.

I'm not looking for comments about getting GM to pay for it. I have already gone this route and got no where. I resolved myself to the fact I have to pay for this. Just looking to cut costs by getting the parts online.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
Why would you want to risk it happening again?
1SSFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Send a PM to Maureen at Rodgers Chevrolet, she'll give you the best deal.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
bannonm

The point of my thread is to validate the parts needed to repair this car. I don't need advice on why or why not I shouldn't fix it. I already have a source for 3% above wholesale that I have bought parts through before. I just need to know I am getting the right parts and the ones needed.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
1SSFever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
The point of my thread is to validate the parts needed to repair this car. I don't need advice on why or why not I shouldn't fix it. I already have a source for 3% above wholesale that I have bought parts through before. I just need to know I am getting the right parts and the ones needed.

Thanks
Ok, sorry. Try posting in the proper section.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Your gonna have to take it to a shop and have a tech look at it and give you a quote with parts list. That way you'll know what your shopping for.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
bannonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Your gonna have to take it to a shop and have a tech look at it and give you a quote with parts list. That way you'll know what your shopping for.
Tried that route. Got a quote from the dealer it was taken to for GM to inspect but they didn't want to share the detailed parts list. Other dealers I called wanted to examine the car first, but problem is you can't drive a car without seat belts. And I'm not towing it just to get a quote and risk not get a detailed parts list. Funny thing is the first dealer never examined my car, was just used as a location for the GM engineer to come to. Hoping someone here might know. I figure it's got to be pretty much a standard list of replacement parts for the most part. Like I said the car was not damaged.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Subscribed.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
1SSFever

Quote:
Tried that route. Got a quote from the dealer it was taken to for GM to inspect but they didn't want to share the detailed parts list. Other dealers I called wanted to examine the car first, but problem is you can't drive a car without seat belts. And I'm not towing it just to get a quote and risk not get a detailed parts list. Funny thing is the first dealer never examined my car, was just used as a location for the GM engineer to come to. Hoping someone here might know. I figure it's got to be pretty much a standard list of replacement parts for the most part. Like I said the car was not damaged.
I don't know what to tell you buddy, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I just look around the interior maybe take a few things off then find the damage, compare to the parts diagrams that are available online. I don't work on blown airbag Camaros everyday, or anyday yet.

I'd say buy the two bags and other expensive crap you know you need and let the shop buy the rest, at least let them make a little bit of money on parts. You run a risk no dealer will take the job if you supply your own parts, but there's no harm or warranty concern in letting a high end body shop perform the repairs.

I am a tech though and I find it hilarious when people want to supply their own parts, we just jack their labor rates.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
bannonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SSFever View Post
I don't know what to tell you buddy, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I just look around the interior maybe take a few things off then find the damage, compare to the parts diagrams that are available online. I don't work on blown airbag Camaros everyday, or anyday yet.

I'd say buy the two bags and other expensive crap you know you need and let the shop buy the rest, at least let them make a little bit of money on parts. You run a risk no dealer will take the job if you supply your own parts, but there's no harm or warranty concern in letting a high end body shop perform the repairs.

I am a tech though and I find it hilarious when people want to supply their own parts, we just jack their labor rates.
Is this your feeble attempt at helping? Wow, now I can sleep tonight. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Is this your feeble attempt at helping? Wow, now I can sleep tonight. Thanks.
Maybe you can post over on LS1Tech.com or another of the more Technical based forums for our cars. They're generally MUCH more useful for actual advice and help. I've found over the past couple of months that This forum is typically only useful for getting pointless/useless comments and 14 pages of advice on the best decal kits and plasti-dip techniques to use.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
ENV US

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green RS, 1999 Camaro
Go to www.i-car.com. Click on the airbag matrix. It will give you all the information you need.
ENV US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENV US View Post
Go to www.i-car.com. Click on the airbag matrix. It will give you all the information you need.
Great link!

2010 Chevrolet Camaro

PARTS THAT MUST BE REPLACED FOLLOWING DEPLOYMENT

After a collision with frontal air bag deployment, replace the following components. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair or replace the mounting points and mounting hardware as needed:

* Driver steering wheel air bag [AIRBAG,STEERING WHEEL]
* Passenger instrument panel air bag, if deployed [AIRBAG,INSTRUMENT PNL]
* Inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM), if SDM has DTC B0052 56 [MODULE,AIRBAG CONTROL]
* Front and/or side impact sensors [AIRBAG SENSOR,FRONT; AIRBAG SENSOR,QTR PANEL]
* Driver/Passenger seat side air bag, if deployed [AIRBAG,FRONT SEAT]
* Seat back cover on if side seat air bag is deployed
* Driver/Passenger seat belt anchor and/or retractor pretensioners
* Replace any seat belt system that was in use during the collision serious enough to deploy any automatic restraint device such as air bags and seat belt pretensioners

After a collision involving side air bag deployment, replace the following components:

* Left/right side impact sensors on the side of the impact [AIRBAG SENSOR,QTR PANEL]
* Left/right roof rail air bag on the side of the impact. [AIRBAG, ROOF]
* Inflatable restraint side seat impact module, on the side of the impact [AIRBAG,FRONT SEAT]
* Driver or passenger seat back cushion cover replacement
* Inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM), if SDM has DTC B0052 56 [MODULE,AIRBAG CONTROL]
* Inflatable restraint seat belt anchor and/or retractor pretensioner
* Replace any seat belt system that was in use during the collision serious enough to deploy any automatic restraint device such as air bags and seat belt pretensioners
* Any damaged restraint system part

Impact Sensor Replacement Guidelines:

* The impact sensor replacement policy requires replacing sensors in the area of the accident damage. The area of accident damage is defined as the portion of the vehicle which is crushed, bent, or damaged due to a collision.

* Replace any seat belt system that was in use during the collision serious enough to deploy any automatic restraint device such as air bags and seat belt pretensioners. This not only includes seat belt systems in use by people of adult size, but seat belt systems used to secure child restraints, infant carriers and booster seats, including LATCH system and top tether anchorages.

PARTS THAT MUST BE INSPECTED AND REPLACED IF DAMAGED

After any collision, inspect the following components as indicated. If you detect any damage, replace the component. If you detect any damage to the mounting points or mounting hardware, repair the component or replace the hardware as needed:

* The steering column--Perform the steering column accident damage checking procedures. Refer to Steering Column Accident Damage Inspection .
* The instrument panel knee bolsters and mounting points--Inspect the knee bolsters for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
* The instrument panel brackets, braces, etc.--Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
* The seat belts--Perform the seat belt operational and functional checks. Refer to Operational and Functional Checks .
* The instrument panel cross car beam--Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other
type of damage.
* The instrument panel mounting points and brackets--Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
* The seats and seat mounting points--Inspect for bending, twisting, buckling, or any other type of damage.
* The roof and headliner mounting points
* The brake pedal -- Inspect the brake pedal for bending, twisting, buckling or any type of damage

After a collision with frontal air bag deployment, Perform additional inspections on the following components:

* Steering wheel air bag coil and the coil wiring pigtail--Inspect for melting, scorching, or other damage due to excessive heat. [CLOCK SPRING]
* Mounting points or mounting hardware for the I/P module, steering wheel module, SDM, front end sensors, seat belt pretensioners, and vehicle rollover sensor--Inspect for any damage and repair or replace each component as needed.

After a collision involving side air bag deployment, Perform additional inspections on the following components:

* Mounting points or mounting hardware for the side impact sensors, and driver/passenger side seat air bags on the side of impact--Inspect for any damage and repair or replace each component as needed.
* Mounting points, mounting hardware, headliner and trim pieces for the left/right roof rail air bag on the side of impact--Inspect for any damage and repair or replace each component as needed.
* Mounting points or mounting hardware for the SDM and seat belt anchor and/or retractor pretensioners--Inspect for any damage and repair or replace each component as needed.
* The seat cushion frame
* The seat recliner and cover, if equipped
* The seat adjuster
* The seat back frame
* Door trim assembly
* Impacted seat cushion side covers and switches
* Any damaged restraint system part

DISABLE PROCEDURE AND TIME (Always Check the Service Manual)

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle wheels are pointing straight ahead.
2. Place the ignition in the OFF position.
3. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
4. Wait 1 minute before working on system.

REV: 10/2011

The Airbag Parts Replacement Recommendations chart is designed as an aid to damage appraisal, and an initial guide to vehicle-specific airbag system repair after a deployment. The chart covers production vehicles sold in the United States. Because of the many changes that are occurring in airbag systems, there may be some exceptions to the chart. This chart is NOT intended to replace the service manual. A service manual is REQUIRED when making any airbag system repairs.

The only way to determine if an airbag system is working properly is to observe the airbag warning lamp on the instrument panel. When the key is switched ON, the airbag lamp should light for a few seconds. This is important because it indicates that the lamp is working. If after a few seconds the lamp goes out, the system is working properly. If the lamp stays lit, a problem exists.

The “Replace” and “Inspect” columns list parts that must be replaced and inspected following an airbag deployment. The parts in the “Replace” column must be replaced regardless of their condition. If airbag parts in the “Inspect” column are found to be damaged or faulty, replacement with new parts is generally the only option.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SSFever View Post