Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #15
P.O.S.T.IX

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
The thing you have to consider about researching engine failures is that you're never going to read about the thousands of cars that have never had an issue.

When the engine fails folks like to vent/share their experience on forums to get advice from fellow owners and to see if they're not the only one.

I've read this board daily since 2012 when I bought my 5th gen and I can tell you that engine failures are rare.

It does suck dealing with what you're going through and I hope GM takes care of you man.

I agree that it's a very uncommon occurrence, expecialy given this is thier top shelf powerplant, and they have been using it for a number of years, I very much would expect that it is built very well. I have even said myself to corporate when I was on the phone I get that this was a fluke, a bad motor be it maufactureing defect or whatever, and as an engineer I k ow that shit happens.

I agree that the 99.9% of people who haven't had a failure are going to post saying "oy everyone look my motor is working as it's supposed to and isn't defective" that's just a consequence on modern society where service is expected, and I use service lossely there. But unfortunately yes I drew the Short straw and hopefully gm steps up to the plate and makes up for the now 3 weeks without my car.

Side note the Traverse small suv gets worse fuel economy, and is has a harder time with the slope of my driveway then the Camaro
P.O.S.T.IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #16
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
From my research on this and other forums before buying the Camaro, engine failures were rare. I understood that early motors did have issues, but it seems that those were taken care of.

If oil starvation was an issue here, then we can't just blame the motor.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #17
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
Thhis motor has been out since 2014. There should be no early issues. Probably not enough miles yet on late 2017 and 2018 models.
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #18
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Camaro is only wet sump oil system and takes 10 quarts only. Maybe 7qt is the oil capacity of the dry sump Corvettes.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #19
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.O.S.T.IX View Post

Side note the Traverse small suv gets worse fuel economy, and is has a harder time with the slope of my driveway then the Camaro

It's funny you mention that about the Traverse. I owned a 13' GMC Terrain (which I think is very similar to the Traverse) with the V6 in it and it got horrible gas mileage. My 6th gen Camaro easily got better gas mileage than that thing. It was also pretty gutless and I'm not sure if it was just me but the engine was louder than I would have expected.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #20
P.O.S.T.IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Camaro is only wet sump oil system and takes 10 quarts only. Maybe 7qt is the oil capacity of the dry sump Corvettes.
That sounds about verbatim what I had read, I'm not well versed on oil cooling for motors so I explained it very poorly.

And yes that is my understanding that failures were marginal more common when the motor was a new power plant but now it's get it see legs so to speak and is very robust

I had a chance to see the torn down motor and there was no obvious heat stress damage to any of the other parts, but yeah it could be a combination of several things

Yeah I only mentioned it because that is the loaner I have, and the interior feels so cheap, and funny enough when my dad's SUV was in for repairs after someone hit it, the loaner the insurance company gave him was the gmc equvil you mentioned, but it's a very small for a midsize SUV and my dads SUV was a full size Lexus and they considered that a comprobal vehicle. Like the Camaro feels like a BMW or Merc, the Travers and Arcadia feel like plastic knockoffs
Old 05-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #21
P.O.S.T.IX

Quote:
It's funny you mention that about the Traverse. I owned a 13' GMC Terrain (which I think is very similar to the Traverse) with the V6 in it and it got horrible gas mileage. My 6th gen Camaro easily got better gas mileage than that thing. It was also pretty gutless and I'm not sure if it was just me but the engine was louder than I would have expected.
The terrain is one size down, but yeah the one I have feels like a 4 cyl, whith horrible tourqe steer when I lay in the throttle to merge on the highway
Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #22
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
You sure it had the LFX 3.6 V6? My 2016 Terrain Denali 3.6 FWD will light the tires off on any kick down into first gear. I wouldn't call it fast by any means but it's a 6 second 0-60 family hauler that revs to 7k. It even has the 19's with a 235/55/19 tire and averages 21-22mpg on 87 octane, which is the same as my SS averages on 93. The engine is also very quiet. I had a 2012 Terrain the had the 2.4 I4 and it was gutless, noisy engine, but it did get good gas mileage... 24mpg average on 89 octane.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #23
P.O.S.T.IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
You sure it had the LFX 3.6 V6? My 2016 Terrain Denali 3.6 FWD will light the tires off on any kick down into first gear. I wouldn't call it fast by any means but it's a 6 second 0-60 family hauler that revs to 7k. It even has the 19's with a 235/55/19 tire and averages 21-22mpg on 87 octane, which is the same as my SS averages on 93. The engine is also very quiet. I had a 2012 Terrain the had the 2.4 I4 and it was gutless, noisy engine, but it did get good gas mileage... 24mpg average on 89 octane.
Yup it was a v6, premium trim and honestly my old accord is nicer haha.

just an update also, got it back new block, minor paint touch up in a few spots that the dealership said they will take care of.
Corporate offered me an insulting $250 in credit fro my trouble, the day and a half i had to miss work etc., and the fact the motor will no longer mat h the build sheet.

Honestly speaking if this was not the special 50th anniversary one, I would have sold it for a a Challenger by now with how they are going on the corporate side, the dealership has been amazing though.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #24
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
So they rebuilt using old parts and a new block?
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #25
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:

just an update also, got it back new block, minor paint touch up in a few spots that the dealership said they will take care of.
Corporate offered me an insulting $250 in credit fro my trouble, the day and a half i had to miss work etc., and the fact the motor will no longer mat h the build sheet.

Honestly speaking if this was not the special 50th anniversary one, I would have sold it for a a Challenger by now with how they are going on the corporate side, the dealership has been amazing though.
Your car broke, they are fixing it. Why on earth would you feel entitled to anything else?
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #26
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:

Numbers matching is no longer a "thing". That comes from the old days when Camaro's had multiple engine choices like 327, 350, 396, etc. Today, LT1 is LT1 and that's it. Even 50 years from now, no one is going to care if it's the "original build sheet engine".
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #27
Jamesg89

Drives: 2019 2SS & 1998 SS
When my motor was replaced they paid reimbursed my car payment for the time it was there. Anything past 20 days and the dealer can request GM reimburse you the money for your payment. Mine was a struggle and they ended up with mine a month the first issue and a month the second. GM reimbursed me both payments and provided a loaner the entire time. Just a heads up, so you can look into this as well.
Jamesg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:57 AM   #28
dwill8335

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Ice Metallic A10
GM

I had supercharger trouble after I hit 1500 miles and started tracking the car took dealer and GM 4 visits and a few weeks to get it right dealer got 2 payments and 2 full track days reimbursed by GM and threw in 2 more oil changes and my dealer is small town but great guys who always listen.
dwill8335 is offline   Reply With Quote