Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #225
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The specs I’ve been reading are up to 800 charges with 80% capacity remaining. I think this article says 500. So even at 200 mikes, hats 100,000 miles with 80% of he battery left.

You are correct though. If you want to keep a car around 20 years what does that mean for an EV?
That's how my brother in laws family is. They keep cars literally until they are undriveable. I am not sure how they would handle having an EV, especially since they live out in the middle of no where lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #226
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That's how my brother in laws family is. They keep cars literally until they are undriveable. I am not sure how they would handle having an EV, especially since they live out in the middle of no where lol

Keeping an EV for a long time might not be about hardware like the battery, but more about right-to-repair issues. It's encouraging the passing of the Massachusetts ballot measure requiring manufacturers to allow vehicle owners and repair shops access to data needed to fix cars (it was opposed by many GM, Toyota, Tesla... etc).
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:30 PM   #227
KindaOrange

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall ss1le View Post
That’s how I feel too & I have no problem with keeping this car forever. Luckily I like Dodge too & we all know their answer to everything is slapping more motor in it lol. If GM keeps going this way I’ll be Mopar only.
Forever Camaro, I like that. Same here really. The most epic generation of Camaro / Corvette happening right now.
KindaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:48 PM   #228
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
One of my bigger concerns is how everything is shifting to a subscription model.

At one point, the car was yours to modify to your liking, just a girl could cut off 90% of her jeans to make a perfect pair of shorts.

Then we reached a point where you could modify the electrics of your car, but it wasn't always that well received by the dealer/manufacturer.

Then they tried to lock the computers to prevent you from changing anything.

Now that they can update over the air, what is to stop them from overwriting your tune and resetting it to factory specs?

Worse yet.... that subscription model.
Whats to say that they wont follow the path similar to how microsoft office is now a yearly subscription where you must pay each year to continue using the software you bought from them. Maybe they start buy making NAV a subscription where you lose your maps if you dont pay for the next years update, but then what if they go on to make everything electric and lock you out completely if you don't pay for your annual subscription to use whatever computer software is running/controlling your car?

Are we gonna see people "jailbreaking" cars to run their own OS? Would the government shut that down by requiring OS checks like they do emissions checks?
Old 02-13-2021, 02:51 PM   #229
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
One of my bigger concerns is how everything is shifting to a subscription model.

At one point, the car was yours to modify to your liking, just a girl could cut off 90% of her jeans to make a perfect pair of shorts.

Then we reached a point where you could modify the electrics of your car, but it wasn't always that well received by the dealer/manufacturer.

Then they tried to lock the computers to prevent you from changing anything.

Now that they can update over the air, what is to stop them from overwriting your tune and resetting it to factory specs?

Worse yet.... that subscription model.
Whats to say that they wont follow the path similar to how microsoft office is now a yearly subscription where you must pay each year to continue using the software you bought from them. Maybe they start buy making NAV a subscription where you lose your maps if you dont pay for the next years update, but then what if they go on to make everything electric and lock you out completely if you don't pay for your annual subscription to use whatever computer software is running/controlling your car?

Are we gonna see people "jailbreaking" cars to run their own OS? Would the government shut that down by requiring OS checks like they do emissions checks?
I think there were a few companies that are for this idea, like BMW, Honda and I think GM. To be fair, I wouldn't be against that idea if I have a BMW, given their reliability, or lack thereof.

Anyway, I think this idea was shot down. Unless everyone decides to do it that way, there is no way one single company will be crazy enough to do it unless they want to go out of business. Even if they do, remember that we have used car market.

As for Microsoft Office, you can still buy it once and keep it forever. Microsoft Office 2019 is like that. The trouble is that at one point, the support will stop and you miss out on new features. 365 keeps everything updated with the latest features, at a continuous cost. In the end I would still prefer the buy-once model, but it will depend on the specific software we are talking about here.

For example, I also have Foxit Phantom PDF Reader on my laptop. It's stuck at version 7 because I bought it. No subscription options. Now it's on version 10 and I would have to buy it at full price if I want it. 7 still works, though there are times it would crash on me, especially when I am trying to create a PDF from my scanner(very common with the current situation). If they did a subscription at CAN$50~75 per year, I would have considered it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-a239bd27eb96

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:58 PM   #230
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
I honestly don't want a hybrid Camaro, give me a fully electric torque monster. If they call it something else, I'll still be 100% on board with a GM EV sports car.

The one and only thing that would piss me off enough to go to another car manufacturer would be a monthly or yearly subscription payment for a feature all ready in my car. If I'm already paying $50-60,000+ for a car, they better not try to nickel and dime me for another few bucks a month.

Last edited by Frankie18SS; 02-13-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Frankie18SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #231
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post

You know it's a bit scary - Red Barchetta by Rush is one of my favorite songs, but I never thought I would live in a world where something like that would be the reality. Sadly - I was mistaken....
Good point. Never thought about it, but you’re right. Crazy.
Big Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #232
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
California, where I live has no working power grid. Just keeping the power on just keeping the lights on is a big deal here. I reset my clock 12 times since the time change. Our electric grid is shot. They’re sending us coupons for bags of ice to pack our freezers. They are not ready for any type of massive plug in car campaign in California.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #233
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
California, where I live has no working power grid. Just keeping the power on just keeping the lights on is a big deal here. I reset my clock 12 times since the time change. Our electric grid is shot. They’re sending us coupons for bags of ice to pack our freezers. They are not ready for any type of massive plug in car campaign in California.
Big Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #234
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
https://recallgavin2020.com, they could still use a couple more signatures.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #235
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
https://recallgavin2020.com, they could still use a couple more signatures.
Pardon my ignorance , Did Gavin cause the infrastructure issue with the power grid? How long has this been going in California?
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #236
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
Pardon my ignorance , Did Gavin cause the infrastructure issue with the power grid? How long has this been going in California?
Well, I'm in NJ, so I won't speak to power grid infrastructure issues in CA. The point is we cannot change the past, but do have some control over the future.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #237
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Well, I'm in NJ, so I won't speak to power grid infrastructure issues in CA. The point is we cannot change the past, but do have some control over the future.
It would be nice to know what the grid looks like in 2035. This is what California thinks they are doing with the grid between now and then. Of course some will believe it and some won’t, but at least we should know what their plan is.

https://www.governing.com/next/As-Ca...d-Keep-Up.html
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:43 PM   #238
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
who make your opinion on what is a sports car valid? make sure to go out there and correct all those people who drive heavy sports cars, bugattis, chargers, etc.

enjoyment of driving... is like a cruising, which is what i want from a car.
I'm surprised that the owner of an Acura NSX would ever categorize such cars as being "sports cars".

It's not just about having to run the maximum performance numbers, y'know . . . subjective 'feel' matters at least as much, especially when just cruising at an easy normal street-driving pace. You don't have to race, or turn your car into a race car, to notice that.

Quote:
do you realize how little someone who never pushes the limits of their vehicle to the point of crashing know about being fast? you think having 3500 lbs of metal and cushion between you and the road is a more personal experience?
I guess what you're telling me is that you can't separate the subjective feel from the speed. Not yet, anyway.

Quote:
People get good by crashing. I have the scars over my body as my teaching experience. Or do you like to assume you're fast even though you haven't paid in blood and effort to become so?
Lap times and knowing how close I manage to use all of the performance potential that my car has to offer is at least as good of an indication of being "good" - meaning at least "decent" - as having to learn by crashing that I wasn't as good as I thought I was. Being moved up a run group at HPDE on unsolicited recommendation of track workers would be another good indication.

Just so you know, I've got a National #4 in age group number plate from my BMX track racing days hanging up on the garage wall (I was in my late 30s at the time). That activity eventually cost me two surgeries on each knee, the last of which ended a pretty good run. 33 years and change later, my left knee never did regain anywhere near its original range of motion. So I've been there, too.

Norm