Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
bkkendrick

Drives: 2010 camaro 1lt RS Red
TURBO or TWIN TURBO V-6

Check it out........
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49493
bkkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
IMO i would rather spend the money to get an SS, twin turbo set ups are expensive! Would rather upgrade to an SS, then do a few mods down the road and it would kill a twin turbo v6
I own a v6 so im not hating on the v6
Just putting that much into a car to get performance that is either a bit more or less then an SS is kinda pointless when you can just get an SS and upgrade it with CAI and exhaust and have that beautiful V8 sound, plus you could always supercharge the SS down the road and murder other cars
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
5th Gen SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM and Black/IOM
The kits do vary. But, you can expect to see gains of 31 to 34 hp/lb of boost with the STS Twin rear mount setup. And increase your gas mileage. Do the math. Just internal mods or other would decrease your gas mileage significantly. Just wait until after SEMA. Then make your decision.
5th Gen SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:39 AM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Gen SS View Post
The kits do vary. But, you can expect to see gains of 31 to 34 hp/lb of boost with the STS Twin rear mount setup. And increase your gas mileage. Do the math. Just internal mods or other would decrease your gas mileage significantly. Just wait until after SEMA. Then make your decision.
You are going to have to explain how you add a turbo and increase your fuel economy.

You can add a turbo to a V6 and get a HP increase and get better FE compared to the V8, but simply adding a turbo does not increase FE. It will actually make it worse as when you are under boost you MUST have more fuel. Called the Stoichiometric ratio.

Also, you should be very cautious of simply boosting any engine that is already at an 11.3:1 compression ratio.

For reference, GM engines that have turbos or SCs are around 9.2:1.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
robkesl

Drives: 2010 camaro
i think even if gm offered a trade in for the SS for all people with the v6 version where theres no hidden penalties or costs i still wouldnt do it!

and yes i believe i will turbo my engine after about 3 years, i want to wait to see if there are any massive callbacks....
robkesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You are going to have to explain how you add a turbo and increase your fuel economy.

You can add a turbo to a V6 and get a HP increase and get better FE compared to the V8, but simply adding a turbo does not increase FE. It will actually make it worse as when you are under boost you MUST have more fuel. Called the Stoichiometric ratio.

Also, you should be very cautious of simply boosting any engine that is already at an 11.3:1 compression ratio.

In other words, using a turbo will have better fuel efficiency for the same performance numbers than any other method of performance, but that does not necessarily mean that you will have better fuel efficiency than stock. You are adding performance, so you have to expect to lose a little of something somewhere. That little something is the amount of fuel you will lose.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Will@Apf

Drives: corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

LOL .. NO ONE can stay out of boost when they have it! and not one person on this fourm will see any FMI from a turbo!...looks like something for MYTHBUSTERS to try...
Will@Apf is offline   Reply With Quote