#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-11-2022, 12:42 PM   #1
ezss

Drives: 22 ZL1, 00 402 SS, 89 RS
New 2022 ZL1

Hey all,
About 2 months back I traded in my 2019 SS with 11k miles for a new 2022 ZL1 I found about an hour away at a dealership. I got more in trade for the SS than I paid for it as a new leftover in 2019, and the ZL1 was actually cheaper at list than the used ZL1s I was finding around me and I had been looking for quite a while. So I think that worked out pretty well.

I'm not under the illusion that no one test drove it at the dealership, but I tried to do my part in doing the 500 mile break-in period. Now its time to start looking at mods

ZL1 is an A10, white exterior. I expect that when I get it tuned the trans tuning may not work (at least until they can unlock 2022 transmissions?), but otherwise let me know what you think about my stage 1 upgrade path.

First part I should mention is I also have a 2000 fbody Camaro with a 402. Its loud, not very civil and sounds the part of a race car. I don't really need this car to do the same thing, so right now I'm shying away from exhaust mods and big cam and seeing how far I can get.

Stage 1:
Roto-Fab big gulp
Ported stock blower
Upper pulley
Tune
Option to run E60 fuel (I already have a tester kit and have been mixing fuel for another vehicle, so this seems feasible)

Thoughts? Do I need to consider ported intake, TB, or is this the best bang for the buck?

Pic of new ZL1, and the other ones including the blue SS that was traded in for it.
Attached Images

ezss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Congrats on the new Z!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezss View Post
I'm not under the illusion that no one test drove it at the dealership
That's a good thing, because the rings benefit from a few high revs to get them seated in the first hundred miles or so. And test drives will almost always fit that bill better than granny driving the requisite 1500 miles.

Quote:
Upper pulley
I would normally suggest starting with the lower before the upper to avoid belt slip, but since you're getting it ported it will already be off the car and in capable hands. Definitely tune for E, it's a free HP and will help with higher IATs with the overdriven blower. Larger throttle body might help too. Choice of tuning shop matters.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 01:27 PM   #3
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
You can purchase a TCM that can be be tuned for the 2020+ from Houston House of Power for $900. They are the only source for this TCM.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 02:13 PM   #4
Xelor

Drives: 2022 ZL1
Congratulations
Xelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 02:18 PM   #5
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Porting the stock blower and running E60 doesn't coincide because of the additional power that the ported blower makes which the fuel system cannot keep up with after adding E.

You are better off running an ATI super damper + a 5% supercharger overdrive lower pulley, JMS boost a pump, AEM AFR gauge, Flex Fuel sensor (obviously necessary here for this) and then E60 after you've tuned for it with HP Tuners. You will make around 11 psi and be able to max out the fuel system SAFELY without having to add meth injection or an aux pump which requires "hacking" your fuel tank to add because of all the extra boost you will be making otherwise with the ported blower. This is the current setup I run actually, keeps the manifold air temps within an ideal range, keeps the blower within it's proper efficiency without causing excess heat or decreased life of idler bearings and I have all the confidence that it will never cause me any issues. I haven't dyno'ed it yet but if I did I would suspect I'm somewhere in the 620-630 RWHP range and boy is power plentiful for the street!

The intake stuff you mentioned is cool, but will not net you any additional power or boost.

This was the way it has been explained to me and makes a lot of sense. With more boost comes the obvious of more power, with more power comes the ability to run extra timing, but with extra timing, more fuel is needed. It's a vicious trickle effect.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #6
ezss

Thanks everyone for the input and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
Porting the stock blower and running E60 doesn't coincide because of the additional power that the ported blower makes which the fuel system cannot keep up with after adding E.

On this particular discussion, my objective would be to have the ethanol help with the fueling situation and not make it worse. Ethanol effectively raises the octane of the fuel so in that sense it should make the stock fuel system more efficient and more able to handle the added fuel requirements from more boost. But a bit more reading and E30 may be better, or max E50, seems to be supported by stock fueling system. But if I don't actually need this to run 11 psi range, then I would skip this part right now.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:33 AM   #7
ezss

To explain it a bit more, I have an ecoboosted (twin turbo V6) ford truck. The tuner offers 3 tunes which I can switch myself. The middle tune is 93 octane and around 19-20psi boost. The hottest tune is 21-22psi and uses e30. I mix e85 (which has been testing around 80% at my local sheetz) and 93 octane. The tune is noticeably more aggressive and designed to work with stock fuel system. Most cars can run e30 in this fashion with no changes to the actual fuel system other than tuning for power.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:54 PM   #8
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezss View Post
Thanks everyone for the input and welcome!

On this particular discussion, my objective would be to have the ethanol help with the fueling situation and not make it worse. Ethanol effectively raises the octane of the fuel so in that sense it should make the stock fuel system more efficient and more able to handle the added fuel requirements from more boost. But a bit more reading and E30 may be better, or max E50, seems to be supported by stock fueling system. But if I don't actually need this to run 11 psi range, then I would skip this part right now.
Ethanol has higher octane but much lower energy density, which means it needs to flow a lot more fuel than gasoline. The stock fuel system maxes out at a certain flow rate and can’t keep up with the fuel flow required at higher E levels.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 10:56 AM   #9
ezss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Ethanol has higher octane but much lower energy density, which means it needs to flow a lot more fuel than gasoline. The stock fuel system maxes out at a certain flow rate and can’t keep up with the fuel flow required at higher E levels.

Well this got me off on a reading tangent about energy density, and I guess I would need to work with a good tuner to figure out how to get the most power out of the stock fuel system.

Has anyone tried just the added boost from changing one or both pulleys (lets say the ATI super damper + a 5% supercharger overdrive lower pulley mentioned above) and just a big gulp and tune to see how that works?