Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-30-2023, 12:35 PM   #1
1SSkenny

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 1ss 6sm
Installing ported intake and throttle body need advice !!!

Hey , im planning on installing my GPI ported intake manifold and GPI ported throttle body and I was wondering could I go ahead and install it and drive it to work and back untill i get my tune for it ? should be This week.

My car is already tuned for my current mods- GPI ss3 cam and supporting mods, kooks LT headers, cold air inductions CAI, and 3 inch exhaust.

So, i was hoping i could get away with installing the intake and tb while I'm off work and still be able to drive it without an updated tune until i get my tune file from my tuner which should be this week but I don't have many days off of work... Daily driver problems

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
Attached Images

1SSkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 02:15 PM   #2
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
I reached out to Andrew Cammer & he said that the rod mod typically does not require tuning but the throttle body might need some idle help if it's real aggressive. I say wrench away & have fun!
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 04:55 PM   #3
1SSkenny

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 1ss 6sm
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
I reached out to Andrew Cammer & he said that the rod mod typically does not require tuning but the throttle body might need some idle help if it's real aggressive. I say wrench away & have fun!
Thanks @acutron42 I will!! and have a good weekend
1SSkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:19 PM   #4
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
You are welcome, glad to help! You have a great weekend as well!
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 07:30 PM   #5
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
I drove my car on the factory tune with a rod mod intake, longtubes, no cats, and ported tb all the way across the state. I just didn't get on it at all. I say it's safe to drive as long as you arnt going WOT or putting a lot of load on the motor.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:22 AM   #6
Indian_Mack

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
I recently put an 80mm throttle body on without a tune for it. It did cause some idling and surging issues, but under acceleration it was fine. Updating to the new tune today.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Indian_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:02 PM   #7
phoenix78

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS (A6 Ashen Gray)
For anyone reading this in the future, I have the same general modifications as the original poster. For the throttle body, I bought one from Bo White (stage 2). I had GPI do the rod mod (no porting) to my OEM intake manifold.

My tuner (a GPI dealer) wanted to dyno the car because he was curious how the upgrades would affect performance. I think it added around 12 horsepower, which lines up with what GPI said about their rod mod on cammed cars. I'm also pretty sure that my tuner saw no need to adjust the tune during the dyno session.

I've driven the car several hundred miles without any major issue. The only thing I've noticed is an occasional P1400 CEL for cold starts. I just clear the code and drive, as the car feels like it's running fine.
Mod list: GPI SS3 camshaft (VVT delete), ZL1 Fuel Pump, FIC 60 lb injectors, Tru-Cool 40k tranny cooler, Circle D 3600 triple disc (billet flexplate), GPI Rod Mod, Bo White ported TB, Variant Helium wheels, Continental ECS 02 tires, CAI cold air intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ high flow cats, Ridetech HQ coilovers, BMR sway bars, BMR delrin subframe bushings, Hendrix offset poly diff bushings, Borla S-Type axle-back exhaust, Holley EFI Fuel Rails, Elite Engineering E2 catch can, Umbra LED Taillights, Kenwood DMX9707S head unit, some minor interior/exterior appearance mods.

phoenix78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gpi ftw, ported intake manifold, ported throttle body