Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #547
pikSkip

Drives: '69 VET, '70 Z28
Successful Fuse Pulls

FYI: My L99 just turned 2000 miles. I have always noticed a startup "pop", but never gave it much thought. I also had a "sputter" around 1000-1250 revs but it disappeared beyond that point. I did the fuse pull last night and had no "pop" this morning and no "sputter" on the low end in "D". It ran a lot smoother and quicker today. A much smaller pop returned about every 4th start up throughout the day , but the performance increase has been very noticable. Thanks for the post. I thought I had a beast before yesterday, but now......

2010 Black/Beige 2SS/RS A6 SRoof
(Cat-back SLP Loud Mouth II, CAI, Technostalgia Rapid Fire TL) CONO (Camaros of NW Ohio)
pikSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #548
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
well

Quote:
Originally Posted by towmoe View Post
Now I'm confused... Are LS3 owners supposed to disconnect the battery or not
???????????????????????
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #549
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieboy View Post
???????????????????????
It won't hurt anything. Just re-index the windows and drive on.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #550
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
My fuse pull and battery disconnect was so-so. I feel the power is the same (was not complaining before the pull anyways) I am no expert shifter, but i can drive a stick. The shifting feels better to me. The jerky takeoff is smoother. Call me crazy but it is different than before the pull.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #551
Davis

Drives: '10 Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by acowherd View Post
It won't hurt anything. Just re-index the windows and drive on.
Yeah it won't hurt anything, but I would like to know why we would have to disconnect the battery AND pull a fuse...
Delivered 4/17/2009
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #552
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THE BATTERY!! Ok good got your attention. Just do the fuse pull and let it sit for at least 1 hour. Guys want to be in a hurry and say pull the battery. GUESS WHAT, there is a ECM backup battery between the main battery and the ECM. So pulling the trunk battery has no effect on the ECM unless left for maybe over night. Then of coarse you have to mess with window indexing and stuff like that. Just do the fuse pull. Simple and easy.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #553
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THE BATTERY!! Ok good got your attention. Just do the fuse pull and let it sit for at least 1 hour. Guys want to be in a hurry and say pull the battery. GUESS WHAT, there is a ECM backup battery between the main battery and the ECM. So pulling the trunk battery has no effect on the ECM unless left for maybe over night. Then of coarse you have to mess with window indexing and stuff like that. Just do the fuse pull. Simple and easy.
I pulled my battery overnight remember. It did nothing. So it would have to be longer than that.

Like Scott said. Pull the fuses. My vids are all the proof you need.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #554
mnywstr

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
I tried the fuse pull yesterday on my LS3 and it seemed to help in it shifting more steadily. I really had a hard time shifting smoothly since I got the car a few weeks ago. I know how to drive stick since that is all I have owned for 20 years. Mileage seems to be going up too, have a half tank of gas and driving around town today I gained 2 mpg with me getting on it a few times. I only pulled the fuses for 3 hours and don't know if that was enough time.
mnywstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #555
Michael#1

Drives: Black 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acowherd View Post
My fuse pull and battery disconnect was so-so. I feel the power is the same (was not complaining before the pull anyways) I am no expert shifter, but i can drive a stick. The shifting feels better to me. The jerky takeoff is smoother. Call me crazy but it is different than before the pull.
i swear my start off is smoother too
Michael#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #556
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnywstr View Post
I tried the fuse pull yesterday on my LS3 and it seemed to help in it shifting more steadily. I really had a hard time shifting smoothly since I got the car a few weeks ago. I know how to drive stick since that is all I have owned for 20 years. Mileage seems to be going up too, have a half tank of gas and driving around town today I gained 2 mpg with me getting on it a few times. I only pulled the fuses for 3 hours and don't know if that was enough time.
That's plenty of time.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #557
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
ECM programming may void your warranty, but......

I have tuned over 400 C6 Corvettes by Halltech's e-mailTuneŽ, and always clone the High Octane table to the Low Octane table. This has never once presented a problem, and permanently resolves the timing issue. The ECM counts knock retard and at a specific threashold bumps you into Low Octane timing. Boy can you tell the loss of around 20 HP.

I have not read this lengthy thread, so if this has already been recommended or mentioned, sorry for the duplicate advice.

Folks always think of tuning as some kind of magical formula, when in reality, things like CAGS, Rev limit, Top speed limiter, timing tables, Cat Over Temp Protection, Air Fuel ratio improvement, torque management, and many other countermeasures to GM overly protective ECM measures are normally modified or turned off altogether. Headers many times require cat codes turned off due to the repositioning of the cats.

In 8 years of tuning, we have only had one set of cats smoked by turning off the Cat Overtemp Protection Circuit, which pukes fuel into the cylinders at around 9.9:1 air fuel ratio, and that was a customer who kept his pedal to the metal for 30 minutes flat out at the Salt Flats. He did 177 mph with his virtually stock C5, but ended up replacing his cats. Not surprisingly he then just cut them off.

Jim Hall
Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #558
Gunsmoke
wat?

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS RS
wow, im sorry but thats way too many pages to read. and im on my mobile at work, hehe. i have the ls3, is pulling the fuses overnight right? or/and battery? thanks!
Gunsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #559
losjohnny
losjohnny

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Polished Alloys GFX IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halltech View Post
I have tuned over 400 C6 Corvettes by Halltech's e-mailTuneŽ, and always clone the High Octane table to the Low Octane table. This has never once presented a problem, and permanently resolves the timing issue. The ECM counts knock retard and at a specific threashold bumps you into Low Octane timing. Boy can you tell the loss of around 20 HP.

I have not read this lengthy thread, so if this has already been recommended or mentioned, sorry for the duplicate advice.

Folks always think of tuning as some kind of magical formula, when in reality, things like CAGS, Rev limit, Top speed limiter, timing tables, Cat Over Temp Protection, Air Fuel ratio improvement, torque management, and many other countermeasures to GM overly protective ECM measures are normally modified or turned off altogether. Headers many times require cat codes turned off due to the repositioning of the cats.

In 8 years of tuning, we have only had one set of cats smoked by turning off the Cat Overtemp Protection Circuit, which pukes fuel into the cylinders at around 9.9:1 air fuel ratio, and that was a customer who kept his pedal to the metal for 30 minutes flat out at the Salt Flats. He did 177 mph with his virtually stock C5, but ended up replacing his cats. Not surprisingly he then just cut them off.

Jim Hall

Thanks for the additional info and support!
losjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #560
rudack
Rudack

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to rudack Send a message via MSN to rudack
LS3 trying it today, hope to see something
ABM 2SS/RS #33390
rudack is offline   Reply With Quote