Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Which do you want known as THE top Camaro?
Z28 152 45.37%
SS 183 54.63%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #99
Stig

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWz28 View Post
It’s gotta be the “Z”….. and not necessarily followed by a 28, if you know what I mean.

JWz28.
...L1 maybe
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #100
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Yeah I agree, SS is way overused
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:34 PM   #101
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'd love to see the ZL1 in a 5th Gen. Oh yeah.....
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #102
JWz28

Drives: 2012 Z28 (I'm hoping)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
...L1 maybe
Exactly

JWz28.
JWz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #103
returnofthereal

Drives: 69,71,84 Camaros
Quote:
The SS nameplate is so diluted and abused. I PRAY that they keep the Z/28 the top dog.

I mean, I was still a little bit of an SS fan until I was driving my SS Camaro one day, and pulled up next to a Cobalt with an SS nameplate and an Ecotec under the hood....give me a break Chevy.

V6, SS, Z/28...the only logical order. And this isnt to say I wont buy another SS, but it has to mean something...something like LS3
Although I agree with you that the SS name has been diluted. I dont think Z28 should be above an SS on the pecking order. Chevy has made a comittment to stop with putting SS on every car with an appearance package. If you want to pick on cars that shouldnt have an SS nameplate the Supercharged Cobalt should be the last. Pick on the Current Malibu SS or Impala SS. You might get smoked by one of those Eco-techs. SS was the baddest 4th Gen and Z-28 was the common mans race car. Why should that change?
returnofthereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #104
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofthereal View Post
Although I agree with you that the SS name has been diluted. I dont think Z28 should be above an SS on the pecking order. Chevy has made a comittment to stop with putting SS on every car with an appearance package. If you want to pick on cars that shouldnt have an SS nameplate the Supercharged Cobalt should be the last. Pick on the Current Malibu SS or Impala SS. You might get smoked by one of those Eco-techs. SS was the baddest 4th Gen and Z-28 was the common mans race car. Why should that change?
At least the impala has a V8. Although, i agree with you about the Malibu.

BUT NO 4 cylinder car should ever have an SS badge on it in my opinion.

And there would have to be some serious motor work for any Ecotec motor to give me a spanking. My camaro is putting down north of 430 rwhp.

Im not saying its not a good engine, its just not worth of the SS name IMO. There is no pedigree behind it, its just a 4 banger with a nameplate slapped on it. Its nothing special, i still remember when SS meant something...you know, like SUPER SPORT. Not Super Slow like it does nowadays.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #105
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
If you look at the sides of the new camaro and the back, clearly you do not want any stupid stickers on there that say "Z28" or "ss".

Hopefully there will just be one tiny emblem in the front grill and nothing else. A car that looks this good will be ruined with any kind of weird emblems. On the back there is a chevy "bowtie". I assume they will stick "SS" there. To me that doesn't look good. The tail looks so clean without any kind of lettering. its going to start looking like a 77 camaro again with the unnecessary labels.

I would just leave a bowtie there. An SS car should just have a different hood than a z28 car. and the rims and suspension might be different. It will be very interesting how they deal with that.

Even the new mustang does not say mustang anywhere on the whole car. People already know what it is.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #106
returnofthereal

Quote:
At least the impala has a V8. Although, i agree with you about the Malibu.

BUT NO 4 cylinder car should ever have an SS badge on it in my opinion.

And there would have to be some serious motor work for any Ecotec motor to give me a spanking. My camaro is putting down north of 430 rwhp.

Im not saying its not a good engine, its just not worth of the SS name IMO. There is no pedigree behind it, its just a 4 banger with a nameplate slapped on it. Its nothing special, i still remember when SS meant something...you know, like SUPER SPORT. Not Super Slow like it does nowadays.
Trust me Im old school especially when it comes to cars but if we look at history there were SS vegas to name one that might not have been worthy. An SS-SC Cobalt runs better times than the V-8 impala. So wich is more deserving?
I feel like if the car is out of the norm and performs well an SS badge is okay. Its really just the appearance package crap that irritates me. All show no go should get no SS.
I hope the Z-28 is your 400+ horse car thats affordable to the average American. I think the SS should be a step up in all around performance and something like a diff. hood or rims to set it apart.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #107
Stig

Quote:
Trust me Im old school especially when it comes to cars but if we look at history there were SS vegas to name one that might not have been worthy. An SS-SC Cobalt runs better times than the V-8 impala. So wich is more deserving?
I feel like if the car is out of the norm and performs well an SS badge is okay. Its really just the appearance package crap that irritates me. All show no go should get no SS.
I hope the Z-28 is your 400+ horse car thats affordable to the average American. I think the SS should be a step up in all around performance and something like a diff. hood or rims to set it apart.
You know what, i absolutley understand where you are coming from and I can agree with what you are saying. You might have changed my mind, I mean, i can see it both ways, and I drive an SS, which is in fact a step up in every direction, styling, power, wheels, etc.

But to me, Z/28 needs to get back to where it used to be. But then again, so does the SS badge.

I guess we will have to wait for the General to decide on that for us though...

And by the way, I dont believe that there was ever an SS Vega

Last edited by Stig; 07-23-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #108
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
I don’t ever remember there being a SS Vega from that era... Can you prove this???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Vega

Camaro SS
Chevelle SS
Nova SS
Impala SS
El Camino SS

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #109
JWz28

Drives: 2012 Z28 (I'm hoping)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
I don’t ever remember there being a SS Vega from that era... Can you prove this???
I don't remember one either....I do remember the Cosworth Vega.

The limited-edition 1975 to 1976 Cosworth Vega was a special performance version of the subcompact introduced long before cars like the Golf GTI or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Only 2,062 were built the first year. It was fitted with a fuel-injected DOHC 2.0L 16-valve version of the engine designed by Cosworth Engineering in England, which was famous for its racing engines. Built by Chevrolet at its Tonawanda engine plant, the engine was fed by Bendix electronic fuel injection controlled by a computer in the glove box. First planned in 1969, the first 1971 development engines delivered an impressive 180 bhp. It had special stripes, wide radial tires on alloy wheels and antiroll bars. But when finally put into production, the 1975 engines produced only 120 bhp. At $5,916, it cost double a normal hatchback, and only $900 less than a Corvette. Car and Driver magazine would report "The 3.11 first gear matched to a 3.73 axle ratio makes the Cosworth Vega tough to launch from a stop". They measured 0-60 mph times of 8.7 seconds. In 2006 Inside Line wrote "Fat and strangled by emissions regulations and GM's own noise concerns, the Cosworth Vega was a disappointing car in every sense". This is decidedly misleading since all cars in 1975 and 1976 were similarly "fat and strangled by emissions regulations." In comparison to other affordable performance cars of those years it was light and fast. Only 3,508 were sold over two years. This fell so short of projected sales of 5,000 that 1,500 unused exotic Cosworth engines were simply scrapped for lack of demand. Though sales would be disappointing, it is today the Vega most sought by collectors.

I wonder why it flopped???

JWz28.
JWz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #110
returnofthereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
I believe I stand corrected. I thought for sure there was one but I must be mistaken. Hell Yenko made a Vega I was sure GM made an SS.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #111
Fbodybuddy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8
A friend of mine had a Vega with racing stripes, specific wheels, and an upgrade interior, but I don't remember if it had the SS designation. I do remember he had to fill up the crankcase and the tank at the same time (!). The SS name has become so bastardized lately that I hope that the top dog is
Z-28
that's all I have to say about that.................................
Fbodybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #112
LDiablo
Z27 Enthusiast

Drives: 2007 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
TAG UR IT nailed it -- the difference in SS/Z28 is option package level. The Z28 derives from the actual package nomenclature used in ordering. The option package number for SS was....any guesses......Z27. So in GM's eyes, the Z28 was the high dollar package and what they thought of as top of the line. As for the buying world, it wasn't as much as one was better - just a different approach.

COPOs were not even something the general public could buy and Yenko's were basically an aftermarket mod. So I wouldn't really consider them in the equation.

All that said - I'm an SS man because of the big block availability. Always wanted an SS427. Others, though, liked the panache of the Z28.

I'm going to hold out for a convertible and hope like heck they put out an SS and not a Z first. A friend was on a wait list for the Solstice and then got off it when he heard they were producing a GXP performance car - he finally got it six months later. So I suspect same will happen with our beloved Camaro - first ones will be nice and then 6 months to a year in - BAM - they'll whip out the big boys. Same happened with my work car. Bought a second year model VUE with a peppy V6 and then Saturn intros Red Line version in year 3 with more HP. Thanx GM. LOL.
LDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote