Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Personally, I'd have the stripes painted on, whether you order or pick off the lot. Any vinyl decals/stripes begin to have issues after a few years.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #16
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you can find the car you want on a lot right now (minus the stripes) I would go that way. They are going to be less expensive than the 2011- especially when the 2011's start hitting the lot.

That being said, there is something special about ordering a car exactly the way you want it. I did that with my Camaro, and it almost feels like there is a special bond between me and the Camaro. My Camaro was built for me, and nobody else. My Camaro is truly My Camro.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:49 PM   #17
comcipher

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS IOM A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by myss View Post
Go for a 1SS you probly get a great price for a 2010 ,probly a grand more then a 2lt.
I considered it, but the great gas mileage from the v6 is compelling. I think going up to 304/312 from my civic should tide me over

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
If you can find the car you want on a lot right now (minus the stripes) I would go that way. They are going to be less expensive than the 2011- especially when the 2011's start hitting the lot.

That being said, there is something special about ordering a car exactly the way you want it. I did that with my Camaro, and it almost feels like there is a special bond between me and the Camaro. My Camaro was built for me, and nobody else. My Camaro is truly My Camro.
You really think the 2010s on the lot now are much less expensive then the 2011's? It sounded like the difference would less then a grand (~3% seems to be most people's guess).

I'm big into tech so the HUD in the 2011 would be a nice addition, plus having a newer model year, but it all depends on what the time frame would be. Someone said they'd start taking orders late May, production shifts June 7th, so I assume at that rate it would be August sometime.

I didn't realize even the factory stripes were vinyl, I had assumed they were all painted, but I've also never seen them up close. Isn't vinyl kind of cheap? Or is it really mostly imperceptible? Can you just peel them off or are they attached more solid?
comcipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #18
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
You can even finde some rare used 2010's at the dealer....when i ordered mine my friend who is the GSM at the dealer was trying to sell me his 2SS RS VR M6 with sunroof and GMPP exhaust for 31k... under 1k on it too... just a thought

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #19
USAFJeeper
Bringing mullets back

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
Speaking of stripes, not to hijack... Just how difficult are those for a DIYer or should I just bring them to dealer to put on for me (not standard ones, aftermarket ones)

Next - Tinting
USAFJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #20
comcipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFJeeper View Post
Speaking of stripes, not to hijack... Just how difficult are those for a DIYer or should I just bring them to dealer to put on for me (not standard ones, aftermarket ones)
Yeah, I would like to know that as well... and how difficult are they to remove? Do they start to show wear and tear easy?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #21
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by comcipher View Post
Yeah, I would like to know that as well... and how difficult are they to remove? Do they start to show wear and tear easy?
You'll probably have fading before wear and tear and depending on the color some will fade faster than others. A metalic gray is going to fade much faster than gloss white. I was told by a few people that you'll probably have no issues at all for a good 6-7 yrs and even longer if it's garage kept and you take care of them by waxing your car.

I'm extremely happy with my vinyl graphics but they were custom made. I got custom ones made, installed, gills, and sunvisor covers for $450 out the door.

The vinyl they use now is very durable....not some cheap stuff.

Here is a couple videos just for your info:

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #22
caverman

The 2011 probably won't be available till August and I'm sure will be a bit more due to HUD.

I think you can get some deals now....Preferred Pricing and USAA rebate.....but once the 2011 starts to hit the ground you'll see a lot more discounting on 2010. Just the same as any car when a new model year is released.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 04-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #23
comcipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
The 2011 probably won't be available till August and I'm sure will be a bit more due to HUD.

I think you can get some deals now....Preferred Pricing and USAA rebate.....but once the 2011 starts to hit the ground you'll see a lot more discounting on 2010. Just the same as any car when a new model year is released.
Those videos on the vinyl stripes were pretty informative.

I haven't really heard of the USAA rebate, I don't really know much about them.

Do you think the GM Supplier discount is a good deal?
MSRP: $30,450
GM SUpplier Price: $29,577 ( $873 discount)

Or would it be better to haggle first?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #24
caverman

Quote:
Those videos on the vinyl stripes were pretty informative.

I haven't really heard of the USAA rebate, I don't really know much about them.

Do you think the GM Supplier discount is a good deal?
MSRP: $30,450
GM SUpplier Price: $29,577 ( $873 discount)

Or would it be better to haggle first?
I would go with the preferred pricing + USAA + haggle. What's the worst they can say....No? Already being on the lot should give you a little leverage as well.

As far as USAA...go setup an account with them, put $25 in it, bring a screenshot of your name and account from their site. You'll get another $750 off. It's a rebate that comes from USAA not from GM or the dealer. If they dealer won't accept it then go somewhere else. There are plenty dealers that will give you the Pricing + USAA. Once everything is said and done go pull out your $25.

Other than that you may not get anything else off. Maybe try to get them to throw in window tint or some oil changes or discount on a warranty. Then again you're looking at under $29k for a sweet car. Then take your money saved from USAA and go get your stripes put on.

Ok...you owe me a beer for just telling you what to do to save another $750.
Build Journal
Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #25
comcipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I would go with the preferred pricing + USAA + haggle. What's the worst they can say....No? Already being on the lot should give you a little leverage as well.
[ .... ]

Ok...you owe me a beer for just telling you what to do to save another $750.

Is the preferred pricing the same as the GM supplier price I get from my work?

If this saves me $750 I'll mail you a damn case of beer!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #26
caverman

Quote:
Is the preferred pricing the same as the GM supplier price I get from my work?

If this saves me $750 I'll mail you a damn case of beer!
Yes....you can talk to your dealer but as of Jan 1 they don't do supplier and employee pricing anymore. Everyone, including employees, get preferred pricing. What I heard is that employees can get extra rebates but the Preferred Pricing is the discount. This is the way it was explained to me when I bought mine back in mid-Feb because I had someone that was supposed to help me get employee pricing but it was too late.

I got the USAA discount with no issue. It's only good until Sept and starting the first of the year USAA let people setup accounts even if they weren't in the military. You can't get a loan or insurance through them though.

Just double check with your dealer because I heard some were not accepting USAA even though they should because it is a rebate that USAA gives. So...call and check. If they don't take it then you need to get with one of the dealers on this forum to help you out. Pretty much all of them take it along with Preferred.
Build Journal
Old 04-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #27
BRKLYN
Account Suspended

Drives: 98 C-5, Chev/Venture, VTX1300
Sripe pkg a dealer should be aroung $500.00 installed. GM.
BRKLYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #28
Gator6977

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Speaking of discounts, heres one I ran across...
https://www.exclusivegmoffer.com/ip-...do?program=cgp

Requires you be a college student or graduate of the past couple years...still about a grand off.
Gator6977 is offline   Reply With Quote