Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #561
dagolfguy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
Come on, you make it sound like its all dealers. I'm (my employer) perfectly capable of working on a Camaro.
It not rocket science (well maybe alittle ).
I'm sorry and I respect that. I am just frustrated.

I have to say though, how is a person to know who to take their car to? It's hard for me (perhaps I am in the minority) to take my car in for service and leave it there for hours. I made that time investment today and what I got was a non-repair.

So, as an insider, what can you suggest a person do? I can't just go back because I have to go to work, not the dealer.
dagolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #562
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfguy View Post
I'm sorry and I respect that. I am just frustrated.

I have to say though, how is a person to know who to take their car to? It's hard for me (perhaps I am in the minority) to take my car in for service and leave it there for hours. I made that time investment today and what I got was a non-repair.

So, as an insider, what can you suggest a person do? I can't just go back because I have to go to work, not the dealer.
Well I wish I could help you. If you lived in my area I would love to help. I also get frustrated at bad dealers because they make us good ones look bad . All I can say is ask around. Theres got to be a decent dealer in your area. Its just this new GDS stuff GM threw at use techs without TRAINING US FIRST (the caps are for GM) . Most techs are guys that have been around for a LONG time and are computer literate when it comes to this. Luckly for me I'm computer savy . Wait till the Volt comes out this fall and next spring, you think its bad now :(, they haven't even shown us a picture of it .
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #563
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
thiggin, have you worked on any of the hybrids yet? A Silverado or an Escalade maybe? If so, the Volt will be pretty similar.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #564
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
thiggin, have you worked on any of the hybrids yet? A Silverado or an Escalade maybe? If so, the Volt will be pretty similar.
Yes I have. They have been tight liped about the Volt. I was at the training center in Altanta a few months back and the only thing they really mentioned there was that the battery weights about 500 lbs. They said they (instructors) haven't even been given any info on it yet.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:45 AM   #565
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Codeman71 and anyone else:
I have a sansa fuze and it will not play my napster content when I use the USB port. The Camaro reads the info and lists the tracks but will not play them. Is there a fix in the works? Thanks for your assist.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #566
sstphoenix

Drives: Black 2LT RS 5th gen
Quote:
Not to say that you're inconsequential but, they've got better things to do than call people up to let them know there's a software update to a module in your car. If they did that for everybody all they'd be doing is calling people. I'm sure somebody will post here when it's available. Does it suck that the firmware is kinda janky? Yes it does. Can you still use it to play mp3s on a usb drive? Can you still listen to music through the regular AUX jack? Just use those options until they sort it out.
i sort of agree with you but not entirely.
Considering i have already been 4 times to the dealer for this and the issue is still not resolved, I do expect a different service. How is an update different than an actual physical part? If they ordered a part, I would receive a call for service when they receive it. This shouldnt be any different. For the meantime I am living with the issue. but it would be nice if I didnt have to chase them for an update I have no idea when or if will be released. There are solutions that can be done for this. For example a mass email for those added to a distribution list. N those added do not have to be everyone who purchased the car, but perhaps those who have gone for service n the issue was not resolved.

...just a thought.
sstphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #567
sstphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0002 View Post
Oh BS. If there's an easy fix- NOTHING EASIER than upgrading software- the dealers ought to not only know about it, they ought to perform the upgrade at the first sign(s) of trouble. I had them check mine- current SW:CC- because my iPhone (3GS) does odd shit like:

A) sometimes fail to connect at all when first plugged in
B) sometimes connects but doesn't play, then does, then sounds like a record skipping when manually advancing to the next song(s)
C) will be playing just fine and all of a sudden stop and give me a display error that there's no readable data (or something to that extent)

They came back with I'm supposed to put the iPhone on airplane mode when using it. WTF does that have to do with anything?
for the airplane mode, i know why they ask this... one of the iphone issues is that if you received any prompt or msg at the screen that was not acknowledged (ex missed call), before plugging in, the iphone will not play. Also, sometimes the ipod application of the iphone does not play, you have to manually start a song then the car recognizes the ipod application (phone shows its connected to a device when trying to navigate the ipod application), then you can use the car to open the iphone menu correctly.
These are iphone issues, n i wouldnt expect chevrolet to try n resolve these iphone software issues... but the display issue is a camaro software ONLY issue. So this covers your point A.

I am not sure what the cause for point B could be, being as its a lack of throughput (of information) being sent to the car. It could be the iphone's lag or the camaro's. Im not sure which. Point C is also the same cause as B.

Hope this helps you a little bit.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #568
sstphoenix

Quote:
Try it in airplane mode. If it doesn't work then you have a very serious and valid gripe. I understand what you're saying about how airplane mode shouldn't matter. My point is, that's how it's spec'd out in the service bulletin. If something doesn't work by not using it as is directed then I'm sorry but, that's on you. It's like getting pissed because the frozen pizza you bought that specifies cooking in the oven turns out like shit when you cooked it in the microwave.
Darth youre getting WAY off point with your comparisons. You have to understand why they want you to put it in airplane mode. N i explained its purpose, so their asking this as a prerequisite as an "easy" way to avoid having to explain everything I mentioned. If youre in airplane mode, you cant get msg prompts on the iphone, n so you shouldnt have any background applications running on the iphone that would prevent it from connecting to the car.

If you want to use yor pizza analogy, its more like you buy a pizza that says all dressed but the cheese burns by the time you cook the dough properly. If they didnt want to support iphones, then they could have simply removed it from the supported items. They could have even made an annoucement that due to certain iphone's updates, they can no longer support the device. I think what most of us with the problem feel is "misled" on what the camaro radio is able to support. Not to mention the lack of support on their end in resolving this issue or coming to a conclusion, even if it is not to everyone's satisfaction.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #569
sstphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
I have a sansa fuze and it will not play my napster content when I use the USB port. The Camaro reads the info and lists the tracks but will not play them. Is there a fix in the works? Thanks for your assist.
hmm thats a good one.
I can only assume napster ust have some kind of added content to the mp3. perhaps the id3 tag on it.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #570
WaxZ28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM M6
I hope it's fixed with the iPhone 4/iOS 4
WaxZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #571
Justinbattle

Drives: Summit White 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinbattle View Post
Im having the same issues. Only on my ipod touch and iphone. I have an old Ipod nano that has no problem at all. It seems to be a problem with devices that are running the iOS. Every menu I go into has entries from the previous menu that I was in instead of what should really be there. Mine will also lock up the stereo after a while and I wont be able to use any aux music unless i turn the car off for at least 5 minutes.
really is pissing me off.
So I took my car and two ipods to the dealer to have them look at it. They had the car for 1 day and gave me a rental and everything was fine. They called me and told me that there was a software update that they applied and everything seems to be playing ok. So I was excited. I went in this morning to pick it up and opened the door to check to see if the problem with the iPod is fixed....THE IPOD IS GONE. Someone at the dealership STOLE my iPod out of the car.
Im not the type of person who is quick to point fingers, so I gave the benefit of the doubt and assumed that it was removed from the car while they were testing it and it was just left some place. After an hour, I called the cops. The police came and filed a report and questioned everyone at the dealership. My service rep locked the car in the garage last night and verified that the iPod was in the car at that time. When he arrived this morning to open the shop, my car was moved. The police determined that it was indeed stolen and not misplaced. The service manager was not there at the time and would not be there til later. I was told they will prob buy me a new one. I am waiting to hear from them before I take them to small claims.

edit: The update to the radio did not fix the problem entirely, it is a little better but the indexing is still messed up.
Justinbattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #572
sstphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinbattle View Post
So I took my car and two ipods to the dealer to have them look at it. They had the car for 1 day and gave me a rental and everything was fine. They called me and told me that there was a software update that they applied and everything seems to be playing ok. So I was excited. I went in this morning to pick it up and opened the door to check to see if the problem with the iPod is fixed....THE IPOD IS GONE. Someone at the dealership STOLE my iPod out of the car.
Im not the type of person who is quick to point fingers, so I gave the benefit of the doubt and assumed that it was removed from the car while they were testing it and it was just left some place. After an hour, I called the cops. The police came and filed a report and questioned everyone at the dealership. My service rep locked the car in the garage last night and verified that the iPod was in the car at that time. When he arrived this morning to open the shop, my car was moved. The police determined that it was indeed stolen and not misplaced. The service manager was not there at the time and would not be there til later. I was told they will prob buy me a new one. I am waiting to hear from them before I take them to small claims.

edit: The update to the radio did not fix the problem entirely, it is a little better but the indexing is still messed up.
ouch. thats pretty low. guess they loved your music too much to part with it.
most likely its an unhappy employee. so long as they dont give you a hard time.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #573
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Sorry I haven't been on here lately... As far as this particular issue goes, not all Plays For Sure devices support playing DRM protected content over USB. Some devices are better than others, but I unfortunately do not know which ones are the better ones. So as far as the vehicle is aware, it doesn't know what is Napster content and what isn't. It's just when it asks the player to play the file and if it doesn't play the player just moves on to the next file.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #574
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Justin, I'm really sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience at the dealer, and I'm sorry that the update didn't fix all of the indexing problems that you are having. Our software team is working really hard on an update that should fix many if not all of these problems. I'm not sure what the update process will be. I'm going to try to get it so that you customers can do the update yourself, but I may not be successful. I will or I'm sure someone else will post here when the update has been released. Thanks all for your patience and I hope we are able to make things right for you.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote