Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
DanielleAnne

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 75 Stingray
OnStar/Car Conflictions

Started my car yesterday, and got my monthly update from OnStar. It said I had immediate action that needed to be taken, I was negative on the oil life and that the air pressure in my tires was low. Looked on the cars display and it said I have 66% oil life and 37 psi in all 4 tires (sugg. is 36). I dont know which one is sending the wrong signals but was curious if anyone else had the same issue.
Thanks
Danielle
Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT with silver rallys
I don't get updates from Onstar but try using one of those hand held air pressure gauges on a tire to see what they read -- mine were low the other day and I kept getting the warning lights -- so I had my dad check em just in case and his meter read the same as the cars so....easy enough to test that....
as for oil...I guess if you find out the tires are right then I'd assume your oil is too....

Maybe they got your info messed up?? Have you had an oil change? Maybe the system didn't update to them when you switched the oil life monitor back?? Just some ideas...
Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
nosrettap58
nosrettap58

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I would go with what the car says. Wierd how the two would have conflicting info though.
nosrettap58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
DanielleAnne

It only has 3716 miles on it, I dont think it is even close to due, or at least I was told the first maintainence should be at 10k (which seriously conflicts car rules, but it is brand new) I will check the old school way when I get home, both the tires and the oil. But I agree, it doesnt make much sense.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I suggest that after you verify oil & pressure yourself, hit the Blue OnStar button and ask them to run the diagnostic while you're on the phone. If there's a discrepancy, it would be noted then and you can contact your dealer, if needed...

good luck! Let us know your results!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleAnne View Post
It only has 3716 miles on it, I dont think it is even close to due, or at least I was told the first maintainence should be at 10k (which seriously conflicts car rules, but it is brand new) I will check the old school way when I get home, both the tires and the oil. But I agree, it doesnt make much sense.
If you haven't had an oil change yet, I would get one. I plan on doing mine every 3,000 miles regardless of the rating for the oil. It's not that expensive for an oil change these days and I'd rather have it feeling good with some new blood flowing through it, than slugging itself down. Plus you can get it checked to make sure you don't have any oil leaks and feel good about driving it.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
DanielleAnne

Will do all of the above, including call on star while I am in the car...thats a pretty good idea actually. I better not have an oil leak lol...I want to put a higher grade oil in it, but am doing some deeper research into AmsOil and some other companies like that.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
My car also has done this with the Oil Life index. I just ignored the e-mail and went with what was in the car
Old 08-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleAnne View Post
If you have an SS you can go 10k+ miles. It's not the "norm" but it doesn't take the normal oil either so.....
I got mine done the first time around 3700 b/c I had no clue about it having synthetic oil and being able to go 10000 or more (and I've never had the fun monitor so I was a noob to that )...Now I go by that -- I got close to 11k last time but decided to get it done before the light came on b/c I was down to 10%....Not sure when they light goes off...
Old 08-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
If you haven't had an oil change yet, I would get one. I plan on doing mine every 3,000 miles regardless of the rating for the oil. It's not that expensive for an oil change these days and I'd rather have it feeling good with some new blood flowing through it, than slugging itself down. Plus you can get it checked to make sure you don't have any oil leaks and feel good about driving it.
For you maybe -- they cost close to $100 a pop for the SS's....
Old 08-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
For you maybe -- they cost close to $100 a pop for the SS's....
Bah, shouldn't be that much. Only takes what 8 quarts... and you can buy a pack of 6 on Amazon for $48.

Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
Unless the Sales Manager was on crack and made the mistake of offering you Free Lifetime Synthetic Oil Changes for your Camaro.... Mine was and did.
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
Unless the Sales Manager was on crack and made the mistake of offering you Free Lifetime Synthetic Oil Changes for your Camaro.... Mine was and did.
That's a good deal, and I'd be doing it every other month. Haha.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
snowtrill

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6- Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
Bah, shouldn't be that much. Only takes what 8 quarts... and you can buy a pack of 6 on Amazon for $48.
So it's $64 plus shipping on Amazon - the lowest I have seen for oil changes for the SS is $77. Most of the time I see it between there and $100. I don't see that it is that far out of line. Especially since I won't be changing my own oil.