Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #57
friskyshouse

Drives: 2010 ABM 1LT RS
Your first sentence tells the tale, "A friend asks to drive your car". When you said yes then you accepted responsibility for whatever might happen. You could have said no.
friskyshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #58
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
Introduce him to your ex-girl friend

or

wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #59
Mac1

Drives: 2004 Malibu
Submit an insurance claim
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #60
CamaroSSRSL99
Heartbeat of America

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS, 1967 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
A friend asks to drive your car, you were in car until you get to your driveway, you get out and back out his car to get your car in garage.

He runs over a huge concrete block (there is one on each side of a 16' wide driveway) and scrapes the underside with suspension damage and rattles. Damages are $600 or so.

How would you handle this?
How difficult is it to pull your Camaro into the garage? If it is the slightest bit difficult because of the concrete blocks, you should have: 1. warned your friend, 2. spotted your friend, 3. pulled the car in yourself. I would have picked #3 myself.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #61
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph0408 View Post
pay up by tomorrow orrrrr i'm calling the cops
I disagree. It's not like the guy begged to drive the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
I'd say a real friend would offer to help fix it or pay for it without you even asking him/her.
Yup. I agree. And I wouldn't let him. Just my opinion. I let him drive the car. It's my responsibility unless it was talked about before hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
if any of my closer trusted friends ask to drive my car, I'm going to let them, with a pre-understanding that they will pay for any damage caused.. so there is no surprises. : P
Right.

If I damage a freinds stuff, I pay for it. BUT........ that may not ever happen because I don't borrow stuff that I can't replace if I damage or ruin it. HOWEVER. I can't hold someone else to that standard. If I let them borrow it, I take the cance of it being damaged. If he or she insists on paying, I let them. I tend to go beyond to make things work though.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #62
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
Here's my read on the situation.............So he didn't just borrow, or take the car with out your knowledge or blessings for a spin around the block. You were actually with him, and you didn't remember to remind him to be extra careful pulling into your driveway, being the cars difficult to see out of and he wasn't familiar driving it. I certainly would have, proof now, its better safe than sorry to do so. No need placing the blame where it doesn't belong, whether or not he offers to chip in or not, ultimately the responsibility was soley yours.
I read the original post again based on this response. OP, I'd have told him, drive's over! Move your car, and I'll put mine up. Too late for that now, though, obviously! Hindsight's great, isn't it?!
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #63
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
For people who ask if they can drive my Camaro. I tell them. "If you have $40k cash you can drop into the cup holder. You can drive the car." This shuts them up. It's rude to ask to drive another person's car.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #64
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSRSL99 View Post
How difficult is it to pull your Camaro into the garage? If it is the slightest bit difficult because of the concrete blocks, you should have: 1. warned your friend, 2. spotted your friend, 3. pulled the car in yourself. I would have picked #3 myself.
It wasn't difficult at all...the opening to my driveway is 16" wide with the concrete slabs for the drainpipe on each side. The entrance is 16x20 with an 8' driveway going back 150' to garage. The incident happened right at entrance of driveway...and he has been to my house several times...and never had an issue up till then.

Alot of great responses from all of you which has made me think...and I thank you. A few key points...minus the beatings.

He asked me to drive back from our destination. What was I going to say? No? Not like he has a history of accidents or abuse of his cars. I thought nothing of it. Would it be different if we were somewhere and I insisted/offered he drive? Absolutely. I would assume liability as it was an offer. I also agree that either way, the damage would be the same with same end result. Accidents do happen and it could have happened either way. New car, limited visibility, excitement...jubilation.

There were alot of great points within all of your responses..humor as well.

So I came to a conclusion. If he asks about the damage, I will tell him the truth. If he does not, I shall remain silent and not hold our friendship hostage.

So, based on my resolution, what do you think?
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #65
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
Quote:
So I came to a conclusion. If he asks about the damage, I will tell him the truth. If he does not, I shall remain silent and not hold our friendship hostage.

I think if you can honestly do that (just let it go and not hold your friendship hostage), good for you!
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #66
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Can you bring him to Oshawa????

bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #67
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Can you bring him to Oshawa????

bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
I have 7 groups of friends...none of them know the other group exists...Biker friends, Camaro friends, First Gen Firebird Friends, work friends, general friends, ex girlfriend friends, hot tub friends...none knows of the others. It's this way for a reason.

I may be calling you for some parts if comparable in price to GM parts direct...will fix the damage in my driveway.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #68
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Be sincere, forthcoming and unbrutally honest. I'm sure a friend will be relieved that you're not harboring any ill will. He'll already feel bad enough or will over the entire matter. While you're telling him the truth about the entire matter, temper the elements of your converation and feelings ( with the elements of the foundation upon which your friendship is based )by explaining to him, though you've found that there were actual damages beyond cosmetic's, and though you were at first upset over the matter, you should have known and thought better, and you've come to realize after thoughful consideration, ( Considering he's someone important in your life, someone you know loves and appreciate his and others property and in no way are you saying that he intended to damage the car) that anyone unfamiliar with operating your car and caught up in the moment and excitement could have had the same unexpected and obviously undeliberate thing happen. Explain to him thats why you've got the car fully insured and you're glad to be utilizing it on an occasion like this. Who knows, he may even offer to cover or help cover the expenses out of pocket.............. But do yourself a favor and not push him for that response or in any fashion make it an absolute in order he feels or believes he's being lead to the conclusion its the only way to salvage the relationship or that it become a caveat in order he prove himself as a true friend, let the investments ( trust, understanding, knowledge) in each other and your friendship prior to this incident be enough to substain its future..................... Just my .02 on the benefits of goodwill between men.

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 11-13-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #69
TURBOJ

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 1998 Z28
How much room do you have in your backyard? Enough to bury a body? J/K He should have just said he would cover the repair costs from the start.
TURBOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #70
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
It wasn't difficult at all...the opening to my driveway is 16" wide with the concrete slabs for the drainpipe on each side. The entrance is 16x20 with an 8' driveway going back 150' to garage. The incident happened right at entrance of driveway...and he has been to my house several times...and never had an issue up till then.

Alot of great responses from all of you which has made me think...and I thank you. A few key points...minus the beatings.

He asked me to drive back from our destination. What was I going to say? No? Not like he has a history of accidents or abuse of his cars. I thought nothing of it. Would it be different if we were somewhere and I insisted/offered he drive? Absolutely. I would assume liability as it was an offer. I also agree that either way, the damage would be the same with same end result. Accidents do happen and it could have happened either way. New car, limited visibility, excitement...jubilation.

There were alot of great points within all of your responses..humor as well.

sorry to hear that happened I might mention in conversation maybe that I'm taking the car in to be repaired and if he asks then let him know. Anyhow hang in there Tom.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote