Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
What LOC and ground loop isolator from PAC would be a good combo together? I wanna have both.

I'm just bummed about having to slice into a brand new 55 dollar harness.

Thanks for all you guys help.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #16
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Hey guys....I did a Kicker 1500.1 amp/ Kicker L7 subs install a couple of months ago with Steves adapter, the " Camaro Plug & Play RCA Output T-Harness For Factory Boston Amp V2.0". I have the SS2 with the Boston acoustics system.
Are you saying this setup can blow my factory headunit if I don't install a LOC????? Or is this thread regarding the standard Chevy stereo system and not the BA system?
It has been playing fine for 2 months now with no squeals or amp pops.....nothing....just sounds great!?!?!?!

Oh....Merry Christmas!

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
AUS10BMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX1truth View Post
Hey guys....I did a Kicker 1500.1 amp/ Kicker L7 subs install a couple of months ago with Steves adapter, the " Camaro Plug & Play RCA Output T-Harness For Factory Boston Amp V2.0". I have the SS2 with the Boston acoustics system.
Are you saying this setup can blow my factory headunit if I don't install a LOC????? Or is this thread regarding the standard Chevy stereo system and not the BA system?
It has been playing fine for 2 months now with no squeals or amp pops.....nothing....just sounds great!?!?!?!

Oh....Merry Christmas!
No! Yours could be fine. And yes we have the Boston System. It's just that some amps can't handle the power in the RCA cables. Yours may be handling it fine.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #18
ZX1truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
No! Yours could be fine. And yes we have the Boston System. It's just that some amps can't handle the power in the RCA cables. Yours may be handling it fine.
Thanks ....brother! Yeah....Kickers stuff in pretty solid!

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
Old 12-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #19
AUS10BMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX1truth View Post
Thanks ....brother! Yeah....Kickers stuff in pretty solid!
Very true... What size L7 Kicker? Mines a solobaric 12". Im thinking of buying another amp, and may get the one you have.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
What LOC and ground loop isolator from PAC would be a good combo together? I wanna have both.

I'm just bummed about having to slice into a brand new 55 dollar harness.

Thanks for all you guys help.
I think Steve sells his harness without RCAs... or he used to, for $45 I think.

You've got several choices here, all of which include LOC and ground loop isolation in a single unit. The brand new PAC AA=GM44 looks very interesting, but installs behind the radio, and means you'd have to run wire all the way back to your amps in the trunk.

You'll have to look at all the units where "GM" appears in the title, some of them have specific cars to work with/not work with. I use the $49.00 "OEM-2". It allows for 4 channels, has RCA out, is adjustable, and I haven't found a car yet that it wouldn't work with. You can't go wrong with any of them. Steve sells most of them, so once you pick the one you want, check ********.
Cheers
Old 12-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #21
AUS10BMX

This is just kinda where I stand, I already bought the X3 harness... I am gonna use this harness. I just really don't want to splice into a brand new harness, and have to spend more money on more connectors with this harness to make my amp work.

I honestly just want to buy a amp that will plug and play with my single KICKER Solo-Baric L7 12" subwoofer.

Im looking at the 10ZX500.1 Kicker... Even describes that it will balance the differentials for back feed or squealing in our case...

If anyone knows what amps have worked no problems with out the extra essentials, cause I know some have had no problems, just let me know.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #22
ZX1truth

Quote:
Very true... What size L7 Kicker? Mines a solobaric 12". Im thinking of buying another amp, and may get the one you have.
Here is a link to my setup. I couldn't be happier!!!.......hope this helps.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106687

Old 12-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #23
USNSCPO
Gearhead

I hope I didn't confuse you. I'm recommending that you install Steve's harness, cut the RCAs off his harness, solder on a PAC, then RCAs from the PAC into your amps. Easy-pezy. You'll be 100% protected, and you won't be cutting into the factory wiring. This is what I did in my reinstall.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #24
ToyotaCamaro

Drives: SIM 2LT RS 6M, Toy Tacoma S-Charged
Quote:
"Could" be fine. Sounds like everything is safe with LOC. I wish there was an option to buy the Harness with the LOC already in it. I already have a ground loop isolator. It squealed without it and works fine with it, but I disconnected the system and I won't run it until I have a LOC installed. USNSCPO said his worked for a couple weeks before it shorted out his system. Who knows how long it will take to damage the system or if your just putting a constant strain on it. I would just order a LOC to be safe.

Anybody looking to put a sub in there car. Definitely order the harness from ******** since it prevents you from having to cut or splice your factory wiring but order the LOC as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve would pre-splice the LOC into the harness. Couldn't hurt to ask.

2LT RS M6
Sunroof

- Injen Intake
- Hurst Short Throw Shifter
- Mobil 1 0W-30
- WeatherTech Extreme
- Quarter Flares
- 3M Clear Bra
- 20% Tint
- Kicker L5

Last edited by ToyotaCamaro; 12-26-2010 at 01:04 PM.
ToyotaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #25
USNSCPO
Gearhead

ToyotaCamaro:
As long as you have the ground loop isolator, then the isolator is removing the 6vdc. Have no fear, you're safe. Its actually removing the floating ground designed into the factory system.

A LOC does two things: (1) it reduces the AC current (the music) to "low level" that amps will be happy with; and (2) most (not all) remove any DC current/volts that may be present as well. The tiny Radioshack LOCs will not remove DC current. All of the PAC products do both.

The whole reason there is a 6vdc current on the speaker leads is because GM designed the system with a floating ground (also known as a ground loop).

GM designed the BA headunit to put out low level signal to their BA amp-- good for us, as we need only remove the floating ground issue (6vdc) and patch into an aftermarket amp. The signal doesn't need any further reduction or conversion.

A Ground Loop Isolator will simply remove any DC current/volts and let all AC current (the music) pass untouched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaCamaro View Post
"Could" be fine. Sounds like everything is safe with LOC. I wish there was an option to buy the Harness with the LOC already in it. I already have a ground loop isolator. It squealed without it and works fine with it, but I disconnected the system and I won't run it until I have a LOC installed. USNSCPO said his worked for a couple weeks before it shorted out his system. Who knows how long it will take to damage the system or if your just putting a constant strain on it. I would just order a LOC to be safe.

Anybody looking to put a sub in there car. Definitely order the harness from ******** since it prevents you from having to cut or splice your factory wiring but order the LOC as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve would pre-splice the LOC into the harness. Couldn't hurt to ask.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #26
ToyotaCamaro

Drives: SIM 2LT RS 6M, Toy Tacoma S-Charged
I appreciate the information. When I initially had the problem Steve recommended the LOC and said that some guys have had luck with the Ground Loop Isolator but he couldn't confirm that.

Side Note: My Ground Loop Isolator has 2 ground wires on it. The packaging said to only connect them to a grounding source if the amp wasn't getting a signal. I currently do not have them grounded. What do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSCPO View Post
ToyotaCamaro:
As long as you have the ground loop isolator, then the isolator is removing the 6vdc. Have no fear, you're safe. Its actually removing the floating ground designed into the factory system.

A LOC does two things: (1) it reduces the AC current (the music) to "low level" that amps will be happy with; and (2) most (not all) remove any DC current/volts that may be present as well. The tiny Radioshack LOCs will not remove DC current. All of the PAC products do both.

The whole reason there is a 6vdc current on the speaker leads is because GM designed the system with a floating ground (also known as a ground loop).

GM designed the BA headunit to put out low level signal to their BA amp-- good for us, as we need only remove the floating ground issue (6vdc) and patch into an aftermarket amp. The signal doesn't need any further reduction or conversion.

A Ground Loop Isolator will simply remove any DC current/volts and let all AC current (the music) pass untouched.

2LT RS M6
Sunroof

- Injen Intake
- Hurst Short Throw Shifter
- Mobil 1 0W-30
- WeatherTech Extreme
- Quarter Flares
- 3M Clear Bra
- 20% Tint
- Kicker L5
ToyotaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #27
AUS10BMX

I read some where else that someone didn't use the grounds on them, they mentioned that if it was getting a signal there was no need to bother with the grounds.

Do you guys know where that pic is of the LOC connected to the harness? It's in one of these threads regarding this subject.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #28
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Let's put this issue to rest for good.
http://********.com/product_info.php?products_id=324
Tried it today. It works. It's cheap. We have it. You don't have to get it from us, but you can if you like. End of story, tired of hearing all this nonsense.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote