Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
PlayaPaul

Drives: 2LT RS Imperial Blue
Flowmaster American Thunder Droning Issues

Hello everyone I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust on a v6. I was very intreasted in purchasing this exhaust and have watched many videos and am a fan of the sound produced. I have read online that some people have called the droning noise as unbearable. Im just nervous because I can not find anyone that has posted any videos from inside the car during operation. I am someone who always listens to the radio while driving usually at above average volumes. Do you guys think that the drone will be an issue? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
PlayaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
ketel0ne

Drives: Used to have 2010 SGM
I have heard the cargo mat or some additional sound material in the trunk is helpful.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I don't think it unbearable at all. You will still be able to carry on conversations in the car. My music I play at 15, to me it's more of an exhaust tone rather than drone ...
Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I've had mine on since last August and yes there is some "drone" at around 2000 rpm but I don't really notice it. My wife has excellent hearing and is very senisitive to noise but I just asked her and she said, "what drone". My kids are 13 & 15 and they don't notice it either. On some rare occasions when everything is just right, load on engine, gear selection, you may hear some but it really is not a problem imo. I think the sound is just right, nice rumble at low rpm but really wakes up a WOT. There is others systems that are much louder out there but this is one for me. Also, if the "drone" is too much, I am told that a "magnaflow resonated xpipe" will fix it.
Hope this helps.
Sorry I don't have any videos of mine maybe when I get it out of winter hiding
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
a red maro

Drives: Victory Red 2lt RS V6 auto
I've had mine for about 9 months and honestly i can't notice any drone at all. I also listen to my radio at above average levels and honestly i can't hear a drone at all the sound that it makes at WOT is beautiful if you ask me. if you do get a flowmaster AMT system my words of advice to you would be GET IT WELDED ON!! idk bout you but i don't trust a couple bolts to hold an axel back system in place, and i think that it even makes a difference in the exhaust note.

a red maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
HailDamage

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
I just installed mine about a week and half ago, and I love it. The loudest rpm is around 2k rpm but it is a low mellow tone. The first week you kinda notice it more, but now with the music on I don't notice it much. It would not deter me from buying it again for another camaro if I had to do it again. I didn't weld mine yet, since I wanted to make sure I liked it and it works fine without welding, but not a bad idea. It was pretty easy to install myself.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
i think the drone issue relates more to the V8
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
RED10LS

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/RS Silver
I also have a drone issue at around 2000 rpm and its anoying if im on a freeway for a while. I am usually doing city driving so I dont really notice it.
But on the highway its anoying. Drone can be described as anoying loud humming noise comming from the exhaust. I do like the Flowmaster Amt
system, Im use to it now and Im not sorry that I've purchased it.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
KFH
1SS Victory Red Manual

Drives: 2010 1SS 6 Speed Manual
Magnaflow Resonated "X" Pipe eliminates drone and rasp.

1st Camaro - 77 Type LT Rally Sport, 3 Speed Manual, Inline 6 2nd - 94 Z28, 6 Speed Manual LT1 V8
3rd - 2010 1LT, 6 Speed Manual LLT V6 4th - 2010 1SS, 6 Speed Manual LS3 V8, RX Catch Can, Holley iNTECH CAI, Flowmaster Force II Exhaust
KFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
Mankind
Whats a Millwright?

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, 05 Wht Denali
There is a drone around the 2K area. I don't notice it unless im listening for it. It isn't like drone i always got from my V8 pickups. Had mine in for around 9 months or so and have no complaints what so ever.
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
HailDamage

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Well, after another week of driving and still love the flowmasters, but I did not weld it on and one of the band clamps came loose. Luckily I noticed the clanking noise as I was pulling up the driveway and no damage from it clanking around. Weld it!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Camaro11 View Post
i think the drone issue relates more to the V8
Actually, I've been scouting this exhaust for quite awhile awaiting my 2SS Vert,and I've read a lot more complaints from V6 owners than 8 cyl.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
flowmann

Drives: 1972 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaPaul View Post
Hello everyone I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust on a v6. I was very intreasted in purchasing this exhaust and have watched many videos and am a fan of the sound produced. I have read online that some people have called the droning noise as unbearable. Im just nervous because I can not find anyone that has posted any videos from inside the car during operation. I am someone who always listens to the radio while driving usually at above average volumes. Do you guys think that the drone will be an issue? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Hey PlayaPaul,

The drone an exhaust system is subjective and is not limited to Flowmaster mufflers alone. Some drivers are more in-tune with it than others. When we design a bolt-in system for a vehicle, we try to find the perfect balance of tone and performance, that’s why you won’t find 10 or more different Flowmaster exhaust systems for a 2010 V6 Camaro with each of our different mufflers. There’s a lot of R&D that goes into each system.
As others have mentioned here, customer satisfaction is good with the American Thunder system we offer for your Camaro. We hit our mark for great balance of power increase and exhaust tone. Plus, you shouldn’t have a problem if you listen to the radio while driving.

Here’s a video of our American Thunder kit (#817483) for the 2010 V6 Camaro.

Good luck on your decision!
flowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
Like others, I had a drone at 2K (noticed primarily cruising at 65-70 on the highway) when first installed. It eventually went away after I put a few thousand miles on them. The drone was noticeable, but I wouldn't call it unbearable. It's gone now and the sound is consistent.