Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Update: The worst kind I can make.

This weekend I will be running the final numbers on the car. As it stands, the body guy says that this is becoming a project above any bounds of feasability and that of a fellow shop owner who came down to give his opinion agreed.

That guy had done several F bodies before, and again, like my guy said this was probably the most severe frame damage he'd seen. It may look docile, but when it came down to 'can it be pulled' the real question will be answered monday.

I know when I'm being jerked around by this guy, he's tried it on this project. This was a whole other tone in his voice. I knew this wasn't any BS call of his.

But at this point, we're set to give up the ghost and pull the plug on the car. It's not a money issue (I'm almost bankrupting myself trying to get this thing back), but rather the ability of the vehicle's structure to be repaired.

Worst comes to worst, I pull it monday, and sell off the driveline and what good parts can come off the car. In all I should have enough to pay off the remainder of my loan if that were the case. However, there also belies a quandary in all this:

I will have no available funds to purchase a replacement vehicle, far be it another V8 F-Body.

In the year that I've had this car.. it's almost become like a beloved pet, much like my dogs. To put this Trans Am down would as hard as it was putting down our border collie two years ago.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #16
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Got your message......... :(:(:(
Hoping for the best...
Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #17
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Tell your guy to work some magic then! Really hopin for some good news on this...

Tell him that me pretty much HAS to fix it- your C5 build thread depends on it.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 05-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
In the year that I've had this car.. it's almost become like a beloved pet, much like my dogs. To put this Trans Am down would be as hard as it was putting down our border collie two years ago.
but you still did it. trust me, I know the feeling of loving a car as more than just another possession and having to die a little inside when you have to let it go.

but, time goes on. there will be more cars, none will be that one, but at the end of the day, you can start all over again.

speaking of which.... pm enroute
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
but you still did it. trust me, I know the feeling of loving a car as more than just another possession and having to die a little inside when you have to let it go.

but, time goes on. there will be more cars, none will be that one, but at the end of the day, you can start all over again.

speaking of which.... pm enroute
Yeah, speaking of which the GTA discussed there and in other threads was sold yesterday afternoon. I wasn't the buyer.

However we found a new way around the problem with the floor and quarter panel. Turns out it creased toward the weld, but didn't cross it. It also stayed away from the welds on the floor from the side of the unibody.

Thus, if needed, we could drop 500 into a new floor and just cut out the old one after straightening out what we can. Also got the hinges pretty much locked down. So by the end of the week he thinks most of the major pulling on the rear of the car can begin.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Yeah, speaking of which the GTA discussed there and in other threads was sold yesterday afternoon. I wasn't the buyer.

However we found a new way around the problem with the floor and quarter panel. Turns out it creased toward the weld, but didn't cross it. It also stayed away from the welds on the floor from the side of the unibody.

Thus, if needed, we could drop 500 into a new floor and just cut out the old one after straightening out what we can. Also got the hinges pretty much locked down. So by the end of the week he thinks most of the major pulling on the rear of the car can begin.
We have faith... When she's all done you should nickname her Jesus.

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 05-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #21
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
We have faith... When she's all done you should nickname her Jesus.
Nah, already picked Phoenix for obvious reasons..

If it were a Camaro I'd probably call it the Jesusmobile.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #22
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Update: Hinges finally came in. So after some chassis measurements the pulling can begin. FINALLY!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #23
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Update: Hinges finally came in. So after some chassis measurements the pulling can begin. FINALLY!
That's good news!!! Keep us posted

Old 05-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #24
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:

2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
Old 05-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #25
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Update: Pulling on the butt is done. Turns out when they straightened the rear frame, they got the floor in the same pull.

The rear frame is straight. To the decimal on the GM design spec sheet.

Now for the front subframe to the pulled a bit and then the body work can start. Not as gory as I thought but made me put a shopping list together.. hopefully I can find some aftermarket trailing arms, sway bar, and tunnel brace since the last is bent. Rear is still off by a half inch.

Oh, and pics on the frame puller.

Where'd my interior go?

Yeah, what was once one door, is now 2?

Weird ass joggle/fold that we aren't sure how it got there or if it's some sort of recess. Note the lack of cracked/peeled undercoat on the underside of the fold.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #26
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Dude these pics are painful, but it's sounding up! Keep the good news comin.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #27
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Update:

8+ hours of work and the rear quarter is ready for welding. Body is lined up and all that's left is to finish work on the front subframe and install the fender/spindle/knuckle mess up front. Then paint.. but here's the kicker.

ETA of rollout on The Phoenix: June 13 - June 18, 2011.

The end is in sight. Knocking on wood and rubbing the pain in my wallet, but my fellow F body comrades.. the light is appearing. And she burns with the flame that beckons The Phoenix.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #28
Bulldogwinters
SS #2431

Drives: 2001 Pewter Camaro SS
Quote:
Update:

8+ hours of work and the rear quarter is ready for welding. Body is lined up and all that's left is to finish work on the front subframe and install the fender/spindle/knuckle mess up front. Then paint.. but here's the kicker.

ETA of rollout on The Phoenix: June 13 - June 18, 2011.

The end is in sight. Knocking on wood and rubbing the pain in my wallet, but my fellow F body comrades.. the light is appearing. And she burns with the flame that beckons The Phoenix.
Very close in sight my friend, Glad everything is going so well at this point! I bet you're just itching to have that good ol' LS1 under your foot again

2001 SS Lid, LT's, 3" Y to 4" Borla XR-1 dumped, LCA, LCA Brackets, Dbl. Adj. Panhard, Subframe Connectors, Shock Tower Brace, Eibach Prokit, Eddlebrock Shocks, C6 ZR1 Wheels 18x9.5

Closed Thread