Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 06-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
WE485

Drives: 2010 SS
Marble Falls Charity Cruise 6/12

Little copy and paste.

Here's the deal...
I am hosting a charity cruise for two victims of the Oak Hill Wildfire that happened back in April. Feedback from the GTO forum has been pretty disappointing. They are a stubborn crowd to get out to an event (hence why you don't see too many Goats at meet-ups and cruises). Plus side - I had a great time at the Llano cruise w/the AFBs last year, so here I am.

But I can't do this alone - I need your help!!!

Plan is simple

Charity Cruise from Austin to Marble Falls, on a Sunday, to some good hill country grub.

Participants of the cruise would bring small donations in cash or check (whatever you can spare). I will collect them in a box and take them to the Todds that evening.

FOR WHOM?

All but two home owners affected had fire insurance, so most of the victims are going to be fine.

However, one of the victims without fire insurance is a long-time friend and mentor of mine: Doug Todd and his wife Janice, both retirees who have lived in the same home for 32 years.

They lost damn near EVERYTHING in the disaster. Family photos, heirlooms, furniture, personal belongings, and the home itself.

Doug works part time at the Bee Cave/Lakeway Home Depot and has been there for many years now (I met him when I worked there from ‘03-06). Like most retailers, HD pays in peanuts. I want to pull an effort together to help his family.

I have spoken to Doug quite a bit these last few weeks during meetings of the Oak Hill Wildfire Reconstruction, which I am a chair member of…he and Janice have all of their short-term needs covered. (I was going to suggest gift cards to Target or Wal-Mart, so nix that!)

He currently does not know about my plan for the Cruise...I'd like to surprise him after all is said and done.

MAKE IT HAPPEN:

WHEN – Sunday, June 12th. 11:00 am

WHERE – Meet at the Dave & Busters by Hwy 183 & Mopac (should be familiar to AFB peeps) at 11am

DESTINATION - River City Grill, Marble Falls, TX

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING, PLEASE POST UP ON THE SIGN-UP SHEET BELOW!

You don't need to announce any donation amounts...just a pledge for your participation.

Here are some links that provide additional info about the fire and victims:

Fire info:

Statesman:
http://www.statesman...?printArticle=y

KXAN:
http://www.kxan.com/....eatening-homes

Doug's testimony on KXAN news (short clip worth watching):
http://www.kxan.com/...ages-after-fire

My Contact Info (should you need it):

eatinguy@gmail.com

Cell 512-659-0005 (texts are ideal…I work too much)

Thank you all in advance!

-Michael

1996 Z28
04 GTO
2010 SS
2011 Avalanche
WE485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
myocum2008

Drives: Inferno Orange 2LT V6 2010
I would go, but im going to a Wedding Expo on that day. :(

Last edited by myocum2008; 06-07-2011 at 10:18 AM.
myocum2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
WE485

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocum2008 View Post
I would go, but im going to a Wedding Expo on that day. :(
do you have to hold her purse when you go.

1996 Z28
04 GTO
2010 SS
2011 Avalanche
Old 06-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
SSx2JAMES

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS + 2010 Camaro SS
good one. u r meeting on 183 the how far is it to marble falls?
SSx2JAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Bro, I don't know if I can be there or not, but, I'll get ahold of you and make a donation to your friends even if I can't make it... I'm currently in the rio de janiero, waiting for my flight home and I still am not sure my car will be ready this weekend, but regardless, I'll pm you if I can't make it and get an address to send you something... Thanks for doing this for friends of yours... I'm a retired firefighter paramedic and I know how devastating fires can be...good luck with the rest of you response, I hope it's a good turnout...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WE485 View Post
Little copy and paste.

Here's the deal...
I am hosting a charity cruise for two victims of the Oak Hill Wildfire that happened back in April. Feedback from the GTO forum has been pretty disappointing. They are a stubborn crowd to get out to an event (hence why you don't see too many Goats at meet-ups and cruises). Plus side - I had a great time at the Llano cruise w/the AFBs last year, so here I am.

But I can't do this alone - I need your help!!!

Plan is simple

Charity Cruise from Austin to Marble Falls, on a Sunday, to some good hill country grub.

Participants of the cruise would bring small donations in cash or check (whatever you can spare). I will collect them in a box and take them to the Todds that evening.

FOR WHOM?

All but two home owners affected had fire insurance, so most of the victims are going to be fine.

However, one of the victims without fire insurance is a long-time friend and mentor of mine: Doug Todd and his wife Janice, both retirees who have lived in the same home for 32 years.

They lost damn near EVERYTHING in the disaster. Family photos, heirlooms, furniture, personal belongings, and the home itself.

Doug works part time at the Bee Cave/Lakeway Home Depot and has been there for many years now (I met him when I worked there from ‘03-06). Like most retailers, HD pays in peanuts. I want to pull an effort together to help his family.

I have spoken to Doug quite a bit these last few weeks during meetings of the Oak Hill Wildfire Reconstruction, which I am a chair member of…he and Janice have all of their short-term needs covered. (I was going to suggest gift cards to Target or Wal-Mart, so nix that!)

He currently does not know about my plan for the Cruise...I'd like to surprise him after all is said and done.

MAKE IT HAPPEN:

WHEN – Sunday, June 12th. 11:00 am

WHERE – Meet at the Dave & Busters by Hwy 183 & Mopac (should be familiar to AFB peeps) at 11am

DESTINATION - River City Grill, Marble Falls, TX

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING, PLEASE POST UP ON THE SIGN-UP SHEET BELOW!

You don't need to announce any donation amounts...just a pledge for your participation.

Here are some links that provide additional info about the fire and victims:

Fire info:

Statesman:
http://www.statesman...?printArticle=y

KXAN:
http://www.kxan.com/....eatening-homes

Doug's testimony on KXAN news (short clip worth watching):
http://www.kxan.com/...ages-after-fire

My Contact Info (should you need it):

eatinguy@gmail.com

Cell 512-659-0005 (texts are ideal…I work too much)

Thank you all in advance!

-Michael

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
myocum2008

Drives: Inferno Orange 2LT V6 2010
Yeah I hold the purse, and when the expo is over im going to come over to house and hit you with it.
myocum2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
WE485

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocum2008 View Post
Yeah I hold the purse, and when the expo is over im going to come over to house and hit you with it.

1996 Z28
04 GTO
2010 SS
2011 Avalanche
Old 06-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
WE485

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSx2JAMES View Post
good one. u r meeting on 183 the how far is it to marble falls?
the plan is meet at dave and busters. then go 2222 to lime creek road to 1431 and then to marble falls.

the Austin f-body crew does a few of these. lots of cool cars and good people. hope to see you.

1996 Z28
04 GTO
2010 SS
2011 Avalanche