Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
metaphysician

Drives: 2SSRS CGM & Harley Crossbones
New wheel weights on stock wheels and tires? Please educate me

Please pardon my ignorance here but I'm looking for some clarity. I just had my winter tires (Pirelli Scorpions) removed from my stock 20" MS wheels. I put the original stock summer tires (Pirelli P 0's) back on. When I picked up the car, I realized they put wheel weights all over the wheels (at the front edge of the wheel where they are an eyesore). So my question is...stock wheels, stock tires, and I never had wheel weights before (or at least they weren't visible), why do they need to be on there now? Thanks in advance.
metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I think it has to do with when they are balancing them. They actually took some of mine off when I got new tires.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
metaphysician

Yup, I know it's to balance the wheels, just curious why now since it's the original wheels and tires. What changed that they need weights now?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
The original weights were probably the stick on type, hidden in the barrel. Sounds like you have clamp on weights now.

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
metaphysician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_LHD3 View Post
The original weights were probably the stick on type, hidden in the barrel. Sounds like you have clamp on weights now.

A...Wheel Barrell? Haha. What do you mean "hidden in the barrell"? The weights I have now are like this, but bigger and uglier.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Your factory wheels did have wheel weights on them. Stick-on type, like shown in that photo above. If a tire place used hammer-on weights on the front of your wheel lip, they just ruined your wheels and should be buying you a new set. NEVER use hammer-on weights on any smooth lip wheels.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Jay_LHD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
A...Wheel Barrell? Haha. What do you mean "hidden in the barrell"? The weights I have now are like this, but bigger and uglier.
Now that there is a photo, ignore my previous post. That is a lot of weight! Did they charge you extra? !!

Barrel is another term for the cylinder part of the wheel. I could be spelling it wrong though.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
metaphysician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Your factory wheels did have wheel weights on them. Stick-on type, like shown in that photo above. If a tire place used hammer-on weights on the front of your wheel lip, they just ruined your wheels and should be buying you a new set. NEVER use hammer-on weights on any smooth lip wheels.
Nope, nothing like that. I would've been smashing windows if they did that.

I bet the wheels did have weights originally, they were just hidden well or placed behind a spoke? My question remains...what changed that they put them on now? If there were weights already on there and it's the same wheels and tires, why did they need to add and/or move them?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
metaphysician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_LHD3 View Post
Now that there is a photo, ignore my previous post. That is a lot of weight! Did they charge you extra? !!

Barrel is another term for the cylinder part of the wheel. I could be spelling it wrong though.
Not my photo, just one I grabbed from the web for reference. I think it was an article from Jalopnik making fun of Chevy for their wheel and caliper weights.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Jay_LHD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Nope, nothing like that. I would've been smashing windows if they did that.

I bet the wheels did have weights originally, they were just hidden well or placed behind a spoke? My question remains...what changed that they put them on now? If there were weights already on there and it's the same wheels and tires, why did they need to add and/or move them?
You're balancing the wheel and tire together. Your tire is probably not placed exactly on the wheel as before, meaning that it may be rotated around the circumference of the wheel some. Or, on the opposite side wheel altogether.

Nine Ball will be able to explain it better than me!!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Exactly. The wheel and tire are balanced as a combo, and it also depends on how the tire is situated (rotated) on the wheel. Every wheel and every tire has a heavier point on them, none are perfect. They have to be rebalanced each time you put a new tire on. Your winter tires likely had their own set of balancing weights (hopefully). No two tires are the same.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
metaphysician

Fair enough, thanks guys. I guess I just have to live with the new ugly weights.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
Some shops can balance the tires in a way which allows them to rotate the tires on the wheel to find the optimum balance and use less weights. I believe it's called "road force" balancing.
Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote