Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #99
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue20 View Post
I had that 3.6L in my Cadillac coupe and got the same gas mileage as in the SS. Is it bad for a V6? No. Is it modern muscle? No. Nothing is like starting up or driving a V8.
I am glad you like your V8 as I am equally as happy with my V6. They are both after all a Camaro and thats what really matters. As far as which is better is really a minute personal preference. Look on the bright side.....It ain't a Damn Mustang> LOL
Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #100
Ronin_2SS
Loving My LS3

Drives: 2010 Summit white 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Ronin_2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Talking specifically about the quoted item. Buy the SS (which is already more) and start adding HUD, leather, etc.. to make it have the same creature comforts as the 2LT and you've added more to the price to get just to 425 HP. Add a turbo to the 2LT and you are closer to 500 HP. I'm just pointing out there's more than one way to get there, you don't have to drop a V8 in the 2LT. Don't get all upset, wasn't attacking your choice or your manhood.
apples to oranges imo...sure you can add a turbo to a v6 and outrun an SS. at that point you have lost the reason or sense in buying the V6 in the first place, in both price and mpg. not to mention voided warranty. sure there are many ways to make power in either platform, but what you can do to the v6 will most likely be better to do in the SS. Modding should never be a factor when comparing the 2 platforms IMO. the differences in that area can go on and on. and either car will do great as a DD. Basicly if you want all the tid bits and dont care about higher performance 2LT is where it is, but if you want performance then go SS, pretty simple
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #101
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wise View Post
You don't see any users who went for the SS trying to justify their purchase... Go for the 1SS.

Mine will be a DD, just as my bolt-on LT1 Z28 has been for almost 4 years. I average 15 or 16 mpg each tank. MPG has never been a concern. Might be different for you, just drive both and figure out if you want luxury, or fun.
I don't see why everyone keeps saying choose luxury (the V6) or performance & fun (the V8). Yeah, the V8 is faster, but the 6 isn't exactly chopped liver. Slap a few mods on, and it's plenty fast around town. Believe it or now, fun can be had in the V6. Really, no one needs 400+ HP in a DD. Unless you're breaking the law, there's no way you can use all that power daily. Even in the V6, speed limits are broken in a matter of seconds.

So yeah, you can have fun and performance in the V6. To me, it's a nice mix of performance, comfort, looks and affordability. It just won't make your pee pee any bigger:(

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #102
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin_2SS View Post
apples to oranges imo...sure you can add a turbo to a v6 and outrun an SS. at that point you have lost the reason or sense in buying the V6 in the first place, in both price and mpg. not to mention voided warranty. sure there are many ways to make power in either platform, but what you can do to the v6 will most likely be better to do in the SS. Modding should never be a factor when comparing the 2 platforms IMO. the differences in that area can go on and on. and either car will do great as a DD. Basicly if you want all the tid bits and dont care about higher performance 2LT is where it is, but if you want performance then go SS, pretty simple

Again, read the posts (quoted and my response). Yes, you can mod both. The rest of it you just need to do some research on. First of all, with the turbos you don't lose MPG. Second, for the $8K difference between COMPARABLY equipped V6 and V8 models you can put a turbo on it and get more power. Yes, if you want to spend go bit (1000+ hp) then a larger displacement engine will be cheaper. If you want to go 500-650 they are very comparable. Also, if you go adding HUD, messing with the seats, etc... on a 1SS then you have to worry if you have a problem with anything you touched not being warrantied as well. Yes, the powertrain is a lot more expensive that most of that, but that wasn't the point of my post in the first place. It simply that you can buy a 1SS and later upgrade it with all the creature comforts OR you can buy the 2LT and later add power. Some of you SS guys seem so sensitive when anyone even considers anything but an SS.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #103
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
I had that 3.6L in my Cadillac coupe and got the same gas mileage as in the SS. Is it bad for a V6? No. Is it modern muscle? No. Nothing is like starting up or driving a V8.
The modern muscle era was born with the Grand National -- a turbo V6. So yes, V6s can be modern muscle. Perhaps you meant classic muscle??? If so, that era died in the 70s.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #104
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
TSo yes, V6s can be modern muscle. .

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-buying...e-requirements

the v6 is powerful and a nice car. but a muscle car ? no, but why is it so important to be a muscle car ? you could have 600HP from a v6 camaro, still not muscle. again HP has NOTHING to do with being a muscle car. its the heart and soul of the v8 in a camaro which makes it a muscle car.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #105
GoBlue20

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Freak View Post
I am glad you like your V8 as I am equally as happy with my V6. They are both after all a Camaro and thats what really matters. As far as which is better is really a minute personal preference. Look on the bright side.....It ain't a Damn Mustang> LOL
True. I really mean no disrespect to any V6 owner. I was raised around old school muscle. For me its V8 or no muscle car. It took me some time to get my G8 GT just because it had 4 doors. To each their own.
GoBlue20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #106
GoBlue20

Quote:
The modern muscle era was born with the Grand National -- a turbo V6. So yes, V6s can be modern muscle. Perhaps you meant classic muscle??? If so, that era died in the 70s.
The GN is BAD... so were the Typhoons and Syclones.Those are cars that also ONLY came in those models (high performance versions). There were no V8 GNs. If there was a faster version of the GN with a V8... it'd be the same story
Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #107
GoBlue20

Quote:

Again, read the posts (quoted and my response). Yes, you can mod both. The rest of it you just need to do some research on. First of all, with the turbos you don't lose MPG. Second, for the $8K difference between COMPARABLY equipped V6 and V8 models you can put a turbo on it and get more power. Yes, if you want to spend go bit (1000+ hp) then a larger displacement engine will be cheaper. If you want to go 500-650 they are very comparable. Also, if you go adding HUD, messing with the seats, etc... on a 1SS then you have to worry if you have a problem with anything you touched not being warrantied as well. Yes, the powertrain is a lot more expensive that most of that, but that wasn't the point of my post in the first place. It simply that you can buy a 1SS and later upgrade it with all the creature comforts OR you can buy the 2LT and later add power. Some of you SS guys seem so sensitive when anyone even considers anything but an SS.
Sure you can make anything fast. There are semi truck drag cars that would beat the brakes off of vipers. You can mod a v6. Its just not a v8. Me personally, I have to have a v8. I love the way it sounds. Thats the sound of AMERICA! Thats just my opinion though. I don't think the gas mileage is THAT much better to justify it for that reason. And I don't think the luxury side would be enough. For $30K there are other options as far as cars go that are MORE luxury or MORE fuel efficient (or both)
Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #108
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
True. Things to think about. One member called the v6 the new 350 of old and such while the ls3 was the new big block. We probably need to start thinking that way as GM sure has.This isnt the 60's anymore but modern 2011 muscle, sport, whatever you want to call it. The v6 is the basic motor now that 350's were in most cars in the 60's and 70's. Times are changing and the v8's will be gone and turbo 6's will be here. And people with v8's still seem to think we are 40 years ago or even in 2000 when I or anyone else wouldnt even think of a v6 in a car like this, heck I grew up on 8's and all my cars till this one had one and this one does just fine. And yes the v6 is fast and plenty for the street as it was intended by GM as it is the one that will keep the ss in production. And no, I dont and only had one person, a old vette guy, say only a v6? Everyone else says cool and knows how good the v6 really is and has plenty of power i guess one reason why 65% of camaros sold are v6's now.
Anyway we all have good cars, the v8 isnt the be all to end all and the v6 isn't the next coming so enjoy why we still can. Next time we might be forced into smart cars or something.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #109
GoBlue20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
True. Things to think about. One member called the v6 the new 350 of old and such while the ls3 was the new big block. We probably need to start thinking that way as GM sure has.This isnt the 60's anymore but modern 2011 muscle, sport, whatever you want to call it. The v6 is the basic motor now that 350's were in most cars in the 60's and 70's. Times are changing and the v8's will be gone and turbo 6's will be here. And people with v8's still seem to think we are 40 years ago or even in 2000 when I or anyone else wouldnt even think of a v6 in a car like this, heck I grew up on 8's and all my cars till this one had one and this one does just fine. And yes the v6 is fast and plenty for the street as it was intended by GM as it is the one that will keep the ss in production. And no, I dont and only had one person, a old vette guy, say only a v6? Everyone else says cool and knows how good the v6 really is and has plenty of power i guess one reason why 65% of camaros sold are v6's now.
Anyway we all have good cars, the v8 isnt the be all to end all and the v6 isn't the next coming so enjoy why we still can. Next time we might be forced into smart cars or something.

The dealer here said 1 SS is sold to every 6 LTs. I think GM only had 1 idea in mind when designing the Camaro... BEAT THE BRAKES OFF OF THE MUSTANG.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #110
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
I love the way it sounds. Thats the sound of AMERICA! )
:flag2:

america=v8s
jap=4, 6 bangers
euro= v6/ inline 6
in a general statement

performance engines
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #111
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
If my Camaro was a DD, I would have got a V6. Premium fuel gets expensive when you average less than 20 MPG. Since my car is a weekend cruiser by and large, I went with the V8. I wanted most of the bells and whistles...specifically, leather seats.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #112
Camaroadub

Drives: SIM
I think the LS is a hell of deal. Where else can you get 312hp with the looks and style of camaro for just around 22grand which is just a about little over half of an fully loaded SS. Most chicks will not even be able to tell difference between as LS and an SS and you can use all the extra cash on dates lol. And fellas lets all be honest here one of the major reasons we want cool cars is for the ladies
Camaroadub is offline   Reply With Quote