Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #113
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I seriously doubt GM would do that... I don't recall many instances where that's happened with too many manufacturers. Look at '01 Z06s... 385 horse', and then the '02s came out with 405 with new cams, air cleaners, cats', and maybe a couple other details I can't remember off the top of my head. I didn't hear anyone mention GM said, "Hey - bring those '01s back so we can upgrade you for free!" I don't think that's GM's responsibility either. That's the chance we all take when we purchase anything.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #114
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I didn't hear anyone mention GM said, "Hey - bring those '01s back so we can upgrade you for free!" I don't think that's GM's responsibility either. That's the chance we all take when we purchase anything.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #115
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Lord - I hope it's not that much heavier, but don't really see that happening...
200 lbs would make it the closest weight gap between the Camaro & Mustang of any comparable pair of cars.

I don't like the idea of a ZL1 up near 4100 lbs, but extra rear grip is rarely a bad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-screamer View Post
Here is a stupid question. Say GM releases the ZL1 at 580 hp and then ford counters with the rumored 600+hp GT500. If GM ups the ante with the next year ZL1 to match the GT500 (say just a slightly different tune or more juice on the blower) could we, who bought the lower hp ZL1, return to GM and get the same matching tune and etc without damaging our warranty?
Latest report says the GT500 will not go twin turbo and might only be getting a 20 hp bump
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #116
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
200 lbs would make it the closest weight gap between the Camaro & Mustang of any comparable pair of cars.

I don't like the idea of a ZL1 up near 4100 lbs, but extra rear grip is rarely a bad thing

Latest report says the GT500 will not go twin turbo and might only be getting a 20 hp bump
I maintain it's still too much. It'd be really nice if they keep it below 4000... I'm not going to hold my breathe; what they're adding isn't exactly weight saving...

I keep thinking about earlier reports of the GT500 getting a 2300 instead of the 122 I believe it has now. That alone, from FRPP, is like 620 horsepower, with a warranty, so I find it hard to believe they would consider doing that straight from the factory. Even still, a leap of 70 horse' is pretty big, especially if you're not doing much in the way of getting the chassis to cope with that newfound power.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #117
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people asking questions. - Scott Adams
LOL Scarrzz....here's an addition to your words of wisdom.
"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump

...of which I fall prey at times...
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #118
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
LOL Scarrzz....here's an addition to your words of wisdom.
"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump

...of which I fall prey at times...
No comment

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #119
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
LoL... If you really think Chevy dealers are gonna sell the ZL1 at MSRP, I'd like to see that.. I will bet 99% of the ZL1s will have an overabundance of "options" thrown in just to skyrocket the price... Plus the GT500 has 540hp, the 2012 ZL1 now has "north of 570", you know darn well that GM will cash in on a High MSRP due to the fact that Chevy can claim it has a significant HP increase over Ford.. I really doubt the Camaro ZL1 is going to start as low as in the upper $40k range.. If it does, i may jump in line to buy one..
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #120
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

If one dealer won't sell at MSRP, go to another one
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 07-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #121
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
They can only charge over MSRP if you let them

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #122
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
you know darn well that GM will cash in on a High MSRP due to the fact that Chevy can claim it has a significant HP increase over Ford..
Actually that is not how it works..... GM will sell the car to the dealer at invoice cost and will see nothing over and above that!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #123
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
LoL... If you really think Chevy dealers are gonna sell the ZL1 at MSRP, I'd like to see that..
Some dealers are going to sell at a market adjusted price, or over MSRP as you stated, no doubt...but that's expected. However, you will see others who sell at MSRP as well. Thats been past practice, not only with Chevy but with the other manufacturers as well. No surprises to be found there I am affraid...

Quote:
I will bet 99% of the ZL1s will have an overabundance of "options" thrown in just to skyrocket the price..
Why should the ZL1 be any different with options than any other Camaro you may see on the lot? Just because it's a special car and is going to have small dealer allocation at first? I don't think so. Vehicles are usually ordered with variety in mind, with some flexibility for the consumer in the corresponding price tag for them to make a choice based on what they can afford, or like. Your marked up option/price premise would benefit no one.

Quote:
Plus the GT500 has 540hp, the 2012 ZL1 now has "north of 570", you know darn well that GM will cash in on a High MSRP due to the fact that Chevy can claim it has a significant HP increase over Ford..
OK, if I understand you correctly, your theory suggests since GM will have more HP than it's competition they can charge above and beyond reasonable MSRP because of "bragging rights economics"? That doesn't wash.

Quote:
I really doubt the Camaro ZL1 is going to start as low as in the upper $40k range.. If it does, i may jump in line to buy one..
As stated many times before on this board, one should look at the competitiors price, from base model to a highly optioned one, for a ballpark idea on price. They, the manufacturers, try to stay a little one way or the other so the choice is made not soley on price between one brand or the other. Whose got the best bang for buck you know. I would wager that the ZL1's base price, once announced, will make you a true believer.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #124
SS-screamer

Drives: SIM RS/SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people asking questions. - Scott Adams

That's totally a joke, SS-screamer. I always say that when someone uses the stupid question remark. What can I say, I'm a doofus with poor impulse control.

It's actually a fair question to which I don't know the answer. I would bet they wouldn't do it for you for free, but they just might allow you to come in and have it done for a fee without voiding the warranty.

I'll be watching for an actual answer from the more wizened heads around here.

I didn't mean to imply it would be free just if i wanted to, could I bring it back in and get an updated GM tune and increased boost to the new GM installed level and still have my warranty intact. I would be more than willing to pay for it - I'm just concerned about the warranty.
SS-screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #125
Dmac

Drives: 2002 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO-ECSTASY View Post
im gonna say 585
+1
Dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #126
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
+1
soooo .... 586?

Camaro Fest sub-forum